18 Month Old Dog Bashed On Owners Front Lawn

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

No words :)

Link

"AN 18-month-old puppy is recovering from a fractured skull and a dislodged eye after what his owner described as a “vicious and unprovoked” attack this week.

Leslie Rennie said he was left “disgusted” following the incident in which his bull mastiff/staffy terrier, Jack, was beaten about the head at his Midvale home on Tuesday morning.

Mr Rennie, who was at work at the time of the incident, said his dog had been in the front yard when the attack occurred.

“It looks like someone has walked past the house, seen Jack, and just belted him on the head,” he said.

“It appears as if some metal object has struck him in the head, perhaps a metal star picket.

“It would have been completely unprovoked because Jack is not an aggressive dog by any stretch – he’s a timid dog who runs away from people.

“It’s obviously someone who has got no regard for life or animals at all, and I’m totally disgusted at their behaviour.”

The incident left Jack with his eye dangling from its socket and a gash from the top of his head to the bridge of his nose.

Mr Rennie said major arteries had been severed behind Jack’s eye and there were now doubts about whether it would fully function again.

The 37-year-old said he had been shocked by the brazen nature of the attack.

“I’m totally gutted – it’s just a tragic thing that has happened to this poor dog,” he said.

“He’s my companion and he’s absolute gold to me. It’s just a horrible thing for him to have to go through.”

Police and RSPCA officers are investigating the attack.

Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000."

Edited by Willow

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“It looks like someone has walked past the house, seen Jack, and just belted him on the head,” he said.
“It would have been completely unprovoked because Jack is not an aggressive dog by any stretch – he’s a timid dog who runs away from people.

How do you belt a dog on the head if it's running away from you? :)

Too many holes in the owner's theory for my taste.

Guest Willow

Agree Poodlefan.....also, I don't underdstand why the dog was on the unfenced front lawn whilst the owner was out at work.....but the footage from the TV showed some very soft body language coming from the dog......

Still, the injuries were bloody horrible, poor dog.......lets say "if" the dog had gone for someone, and they had defended themsleves, any normal human being would have reported it to some authority.....

The dog was actually found by a neighbour under his deck, in a pool of blood.....

I daresay thai wouldn't have happened if the dog had been properly contained, but I don't know the circumstances of him being out & about....the owner is apparently new to Perth, so maybe the dog panicked & escaped the backyard or something????

If the dog had have been attacking anyone, you can guarantee the media would have been contacted because of it's breeds. It would have been another "I had to belt this vicious dog to save my life" story. The fact the bastard who bashed this dog has said nothing, shouts that it was just a vicious attack on the poor dog. :)

Guest Willow
A car could cause that damage.

It certainly could.

And had the dog been contained properly in the backyard this thread would not be here.

Souff

True, but accidents happen.....we discovered our rescue dog could jump 7 foot fencing if he had to......we fixed the problem, but it took an escape for us to realise he was capable of it.

This is another article about it:

WAtoday

A "senseless" attack on 18-month-old puppy, Jack, has left him in constant pain with a chunk of his skull missing and a dislodged eye, the dog's owner says.

Leslie Rennie's bull mastiff/staffy terrier, named Jack, was beaten violently about the head with a weapon at his Park Road home in Midvale just before 8am, on Tuesday.

"Someone has walked past him and disturbed him and taken a whack and split his head open, he's lost a big chunk out of his skull," Mr Rennie said.

Puppy Jack is missing a chunk of his skill after he was attacked at his Midvale home.

18-month-old Jack is missing a chunk of his skill after he was attacked at his Midvale home.

"I felt quite sick when I saw him, it was just disgusting."

The dog had been in the front yard, which is exposed to the street.

Mr Rennie said he must have jumped over temporary fencing locking him in the backyard since the actual fence had been damaged by recent storms.

Mr Rennie was at work at the time, so after the attack the dog went next door to attract the attention of the neighbour.

"Once he got Ray's attention he has just layed down, he was bleeding profusely, his eye was hanging out and they had severed a major artery behind the eye. There was blood everywhere, " Mr Rennie said.

"He was quite delirious and bumping into things.

"Ray called the rangers who came out and the ranger said that he felt really, really sick when he saw him. They raced him to the local vet.

"They saved his life with their quick actions and I am very thankful that they did."

Mr Rennie was called after the operation at about 9am.

"I thought he had gotten out. The ranger said that someone had aggressively attacked him with a steel star picket to his head."

Although it has not been confirmed what weapon was used, the neighbour had several star pickets in his yard because he worked as a home builder and there was an "indicative" gash on the dog's back.

Mr Rennie has taken to sleeping with his dog, who is in constant pain, and has taken the week off work to nurse him.

"I'm a single bloke, he's the only companion I've got," he said.

"He's an absolute treasure, I love him to pieces and it breaks my heart."

He said Jack had never been aggressive towards anyone.

"All the kids know Jack, they absolutely love him. He's been getting out and playing with the kids across the road in the Easter break."

Police and RSPCA officers are hunting down those responsible and have pleaded to the public for help.

Mr Rennie says he just wants justice.

"At first I felt pure rage but now I just want them to catch the person and get some justice," he said.

"If they can do this to a dog imagine what they could do to a person. They're a ticking time bomb."

The dog's eye is currently sitting back in the socket, which is swollen shut, but it cannot be operated on until the swelling comes down.

Mr Rennie said Jack may lose the eye and suffer long-term pain and seizures.

Anyone who may have witnessed the attack is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

So it looks as though the dog had already been getting out regularly and the owner knew.

I am inclined to think it's more of a car injury too.

Poor dog.

Automobile injury or trauma is defined as an injury sustained when a dog is struck by a moving vehicle such as a car, truck, snowplow, train or motorcycle.

The impact of traumatic injuries ranges from minor to life threatening and any body system may be affected. Common injuries include but are not limited to:

Shock

Skin bruising, abrasions and lacerations

Head and facial injuries

Spinal cord injuries

Broken bones

Pulmonary contusions (bleeding into the lungs)

Pneumothorax (air in the chest cavity)

Internal bleeding due to a liver, spleen or kidney injury

Ruptured bladder

What to Watch For

Abnormal behavior

Inactivity

Hiding

Crying, whining

Bruising

Skin abrasions

Lacerations

Pale gums

Random maniac clobbers dog for no apparent reason or dog with history of escaping and being on the road is hit by car? I know where my money would be.

Of course only one of these possible explanations absolves the dogs owner of any responsiblity for its injuries.

Hope he makes a good recovery and that the owner fixes the bloody fence.

Edited by poodlefan

"Experts" thought the injury was consistent with bashing by a star picket.

He could well have been asleep on the lawn, and a pitbull hater bashed him - because he could. Or he might been on the footpath, same story.

Does happen, and rarely makes the papers.

Good on the rangers for taking him to the vet. :(

Poor boy, hope he recovers.

It happens, there alot of people like that around.

The poor dog how sad for the big oaf. Dogs are all heart, he isn't sweating it, it's the humans that worry. I'm sure his just getting on with his life and loving the extra attention his getting from his owner.

He could well have been asleep on the lawn, and a pitbull hater bashed him - because he could. Or he might been on the footpath, same story.

Good on the rangers for taking him to the vet. :laugh:

When I saw his breeds, that was my first thought.

Good on the rangers for taking him to the vet. :laugh:

When I saw his breeds, that was my first thought.

My first thoughts were:

* how hard would you have to hit a dog to dislodge its eye. That's a lot of force to apply to a dog that's supposedly just staying still?

* how would you manage to repeatedly hit a dog that can run away from you?

Hopefully the vets will solve the mystery.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was someone reacting to govt and R$PCA anti-pit bull hysteria. If these animals can do this to a dog one would have to wonder what they could do to humans. Take a bow R$PCA another PB-type you don't have to deal with.