I Am Not A Snob!

whitka

It is nobody's business or place to stand in judgment as to what type of dog you own as long as you give it the love and care it deserves.

If that dog's parents suffered to produce the dog you love and care for then I'll have to disagree with you. I object to breeding dogs getting a lesser standard of care than the pups they produce.

Someone I know lives next door to an oodle breeder. The breeding dogs are kept in a shed. The only time they leave it is when a bitch whelps. The stud dogs NEVER leave it. I'll say that again - NEVER.

I judge someone who buys a pup produced like that harshly and I make no apology for that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got really offended when I read this, especially "you get what you pay for" part. I work with dogs and have done so all of my working life and I have owned them all my life. I respect individual choices to whether you want a purebred as I have owned pure bred dogs and I also respect individual choices to whether you want a cross breed dog which I have also owned. There is NO way I loved my pure breed dogs over my cross breed dogs and I am so grateful that I was blessed with every single one of them and how much I loved them just for being great companions.

Two nights ago I had to put down my 14 year old Maltese X Griffin X and for someone to insinuate that she was less of dog because she was a cross breed was really offensive, to me she was the dog that greeted me when I came home, she was the dog who slept on my bed every night, she was the dog who loved hugs and she was mine and my family's dog and we will miss her immensely everyday and so will her companion a 16 year old wolf hound X (one of the most loyal dogs I have had).

If you don't love dogs as a whole then how can you call your self a "dog lover"?

I will also take this opportunity to pay respect to all of the dogs that I have owned and have touched my life and I love every single one of them the same for just being them: -

Penny - German shepherd X Kelpie

Marsique - Chihuahua

Tess - Bull terrier X Grey hound

Heidi - Maltese X Griffin X

And those that are still with me Cerridwen Irish wolf hound X and Penny (2) Red heeler

Life is too short to be judgmental Bonnie parker, and I am sure if I ever owned an Australian Shepherd I would love it just as much as the dogs that I listed above!

Please don't let this get to you. There are many of us out there who are breed afficionado's who also believe in rescuing dogs. However, most people here seem to have a problem (and I agree with them) with puppy mill or byb dogs bought from those organisations. It isn't the dogs themselves we hate, it is the people who exploit them.

You dont have to be sorry or make apologies for any decisions you make. No one does.

The only people who should make apologies are those whos decisions directly impact others in a negative way.

So those who call others a pedigree snob, or those who call others supporters of BYB because they choose not to have a pedigree pet each have a negative impact on one another.

Live and let live is a good motto. Saves on apologies lol.

Spot on, I have owned, bred & shown pedigree dogs, but have also owned/own cross breeds. They are all dogs who should be loved & trained, none are better than the other. I think sometimes purebreed owners look down on those with crosses & maybe that's why they get called a snob. Just love your doggies no matter what breed or mixes. :rofl:

It is nobody's business or place to stand in judgment as to what type of dog you own as long as you give it the love and care it deserves.

If that dog's parents suffered to produce the dog you love and care for then I'll have to disagree with you. I object to breeding dogs getting a lesser standard of care than the pups they produce.

Someone I know lives next door to an oodle breeder. The breeding dogs are kept in a shed. The only time they leave it is when a bitch whelps. The stud dogs NEVER leave it. I'll say that again - NEVER.

I judge someone who buys a pup produced like that harshly and I make no apology for that.

I dont think anyone on this forum would agree that buying a dog from a puppy mill is the right thing to do. On the other hand I have heard of many "registered" breeders who have questionable ethical standards.

Who makes you better?? What god has given you the right to judge people??

Yes it is wrong, but maybe you shoule take your judgement to people that shut these places down!

I will not judge no one until the following is done:

More education.

Higher standards/regulations in the breeding world so puppy mills are a thing of the past.

People that buy pups from a puppy mill do not go in there knowing that they are supporting a very cruel world for the bitches and studs that just produced that cute puppy they just bought playing in the front yard.

The general public are blinded by the way puppy mill people run their puppy factories. Is this their fault because they lack education, is it your right to judge such people??

Education is what is needed not judgement!

until there is more education I will not judge on one

Edited by Beaglelover:)

I have never personally owned a mix breed or rescue dog myself, family has as a child, but never me.

I never will either. You get what you pay for.

I got really offended when I read this, especially "you get what you pay for" part. I work with dogs and have done so all of my working life and I have owned them all my life. I respect individual choices to whether you want a purebred as I have owned pure bred dogs and I also respect individual choices to whether you want a cross breed dog which I have also owned. There is NO way I loved my pure breed dogs over my cross breed dogs and I am so grateful that I was blessed with every single one of them and how much I loved them just for being great companions.

Two nights ago I had to put down my 14 year old Maltese X Griffin X and for someone to insinuate that she was less of dog because she was a cross breed was really offensive, to me she was the dog that greeted me when I came home, she was the dog who slept on my bed every night, she was the dog who loved hugs and she was mine and my family's dog and we will miss her immensely everyday and so will her companion a 16 year old wolf hound X (one of the most loyal dogs I have had).

If you don't love dogs as a whole then how can you call your self a "dog lover"?

I will also take this opportunity to pay respect to all of the dogs that I have owned and have touched my life and I love every single one of them the same for just being them: -

Penny - German shepherd X Kelpie

Marsique - Chihuahua

Tess - Bull terrier X Grey hound

Heidi - Maltese X Griffin X

And those that are still with me Cerridwen Irish wolf hound X and Penny (2) Red heeler

Life is too short to be judgmental Bonnie parker, and I am sure if I ever owned an Australian Shepherd I would love it just as much as the dogs that I listed above!

I'm pretty sure Bonnie didn't mean cross breds were any lesser dogs. I think she means that she gets what she pays for as far as knowing what the structure, size and personality of a purebred pup will be as an adult. She knows their family, that they are health tested, she has breeder support when buying a purebred dogs. She gets what she wanted - the coat, personality, size she wanted. I don't think she was saying if she had a cross bred that it would be any less loved, but that she simply wouldn't go with a cross bred as she likes the purebred Aussies and she knows they suit her lifestyle. They are likely to be better suited to her and her lifestyle than a cross bred (for example, she bought a cute cross bred pup who turns out to be a much more independant dog, rough coat, too big or too small for her lifestyle than an Aussie, I doubt she would love this pup any less but an Aussie suits her better).

Did any of your cross breds come with health testing? Did you know their parents, grandparents, greatgrandparents, brothers, sisters, cousins etc personalities and health test results? Did you get to meet any of them? Watch brothers and sisters grow as well as your own pup? Did you know what to expect as they grew (ie size, build, personality)? Did you get support from those who bred them? I sure didn't with my mutt (who I adore as much as my purebred dream girl Holly) - Bonnie gets all these things from her purebred dogs, on top of the all the great things she would have if they were mutts.

ETA: In short I think Bon meant that there are more benefits from purchasing a purebred dog from an ethical, registered breeder than getting a cross bred. Not that they are any lesser simply for being cross breds.

Bon please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I got from your post above and from talking to you online. :D

Edited by Lyndsay

QUOTE (poodlefan @ 18th Apr 2010 - 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE (jm266 @ 18th Apr 2010 - 08:59 PM) *

Fair point poodlefan

I should clarify that you should be not judged for buying a rescue or pedigree dog. Each to their own.

I have two pedigree dogs but would not rule out a rescue in the future

I'm a snob... I like dogs... all dogs... more than I like people actually...

I must say that a well bred and healthy purebred is truly a thing of beauty... but so is a happy and healthy crossbred dog.

I would not call anyone a "snob" if they preferred to own purebred dogs - but if they made nasty comments about my mutts, then maybe I would... *grin*

Working with rescue, I see a lot of crosses - but we sometimes see purebreds too. Anything that can be identified as bred by a reputable breeder will have that breeder contacted before we do anything with that dog... you could call it professional courtesy I suppose. Sometimes if we have a pure dog of certain breeds, some people from the breed club may ring and offer assistance with rehoming that dog... and that sort of help is always welcome. Some breed clubs are more diplomatic than others... errr!

T.

Grr I am so sick of people thinking im a snob just because I like purebreds :D Im sorry that I dont want something that was just randomaly bred a dd from this big breeder that sells hundres of puppys and im sorry i dont want to go to a shelter. What is wrong with getting a dog in my choesen breed that was thoughtfully bred, where the breeder made time to decide what stud would go with her girl and did the right health tests?

It's a sad state of mind many people tend to have.

'hmph, I'm not going to be a bloody snob! I'll just go next door and get a pup out of flossy the bitzer!'

:laugh:

I have had both rescues and registered purebreds. My current girl is a Purebred papered dog.

I had someone the other day ask what she's crossed with! :D I am all for the purebreds myself. I hate the insults when we have such a lovely purebred and people think I am weird for having a purebred.

I wont say i wont have rescues in the future because it is possible, but I sure wouldnt make anyone feel odd just because they have a BYB dog/rescue or any other source. Main thing to me is that people love their dog :laugh:

Grr I am so sick of people thinking im a snob just because I like purebreds :D Im sorry that I dont want something that was just randomaly bred a dd from this big breeder that sells hundres of puppys and im sorry i dont want to go to a shelter. What is wrong with getting a dog in my choesen breed that was thoughtfully bred, where the breeder made time to decide what stud would go with her girl and did the right health tests?

It's a sad state of mind many people tend to have.

'hmph, I'm not going to be a bloody snob! I'll just go next door and get a pup out of flossy the bitzer!'

:laugh:

Maybe they get called a snob, because they look down on people who own crosses.

Grr I am so sick of people thinking im a snob just because I like purebreds :laugh: Im sorry that I dont want something that was just randomaly bred a dd from this big breeder that sells hundres of puppys and im sorry i dont want to go to a shelter. What is wrong with getting a dog in my choesen breed that was thoughtfully bred, where the breeder made time to decide what stud would go with her girl and did the right health tests?

You cant saw sawdust.

Enjoy your dogs and walk on :D

When I hear somone tell me that they can get a crossbred rescue dog / byb that can do the job my dogs can do,

I just laugh because they dont know what they are talking about;

I dont get mad

kind of pity the little ignoramuses.

Oooh! how norty of me ... I'm sounding like a snob :D -

so what?

Show me a cross bred byb rescue whatever that has the capabilty

and is as sound pound for pound and then you might get my attention.

But frankly, 1000 years selective breeding tempered by the elements -

Vs some numpty nanosecond cross breeding idea:

not likely :rofl:

Edited by lilli

Grr I am so sick of people thinking im a snob just because I like purebreds :thumbsup: Im sorry that I dont want something that was just randomaly bred a dd from this big breeder that sells hundres of puppys and im sorry i dont want to go to a shelter. What is wrong with getting a dog in my choesen breed that was thoughtfully bred, where the breeder made time to decide what stud would go with her girl and did the right health tests?

You cant saw sawdust.

Enjoy your dogs and walk on :laugh:

When I hear somone tell me that they can get a crossbred rescue dog / byb that can do the job my dogs can do,

I just laugh because they dont know what they are talking about;

I dont get mad

kind of pity the little ignoramuses.

Oooh! how norty of me ... I'm sounding like a snob :thumbsup: -

so what?

Show me a cross bred byb rescue whatever that has the capabilty

and is as sound pound for pound and then you might get my attention.

not likely :eek:

Your attitude is exactly the reason some purebreed owners are called snobs. :thumbsup:

You are aware that a lot of breeds started out as crosses, until they eventually got accepted as a purebred? :D

Hmm I don't know, given the random things I've been called a snob over as far as I can tell anyone who does their research on a subject instead of just spouting whatever Today Tonight tells them this week is a snob.

:D how very true

not likely :thumbsup:

You are aware that a lot of breeds started out as crosses, until they eventually got accepted as a purebred? :D

hence the 1000 years selective breeding bit

A lot haven't been a purebreed that long.

A lot haven't been a purebreed that long.

true but mine are and most have over 100 years, that's a lot of generations as opposed to the dog next door getting to the bitch down the street, or the ones on the puppy farms.

and FWIW I have a 13 yo pound puppy here as well

Your attitude is exactly the reason some purebreed owners are called snobs. :thumbsup:

Asserting that my dog breed(s) are better than any cross bred at their purpose bred task

is not being a snob, it is stating a fact.

You are aware that a lot of breeds started out as crosses, until they eventually got accepted as a purebred? :thumbsup:

Exactly.

:D

Edited by lilli