Help Working On Stand With Luuka

FranVT

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am dumbfounded, I truly am in the presence of greatness, there's no way Miss WriggleFluffBum would keep one paw on that for even a second :mad

The big dog ones are higher and they have no where else to put their feet becuse they can't easily reach the ground.

apologies if this has been mentioned already, I misread things sometimes but have you tried using a stand hand command when you are walking along just before you are about to stop.

I use an open hand in front of jessies nose in a right to left motion and say stand, it took a little while but now she will do it without me saying anything just the hand cue.

Hi Fran-

I'll do a video of what I do with sausage and send it to you - maybe that will help :champagne:

:love::) sorry, my mind must be in the gutter today or is it the way you worded it ?

:laugh::mad LOL - Sorry, Luuka's sister is a puppy called Sohvi, but we've nicknamed her sausage - that's the only deli product I was planning on videoing! :laugh::laugh: LOL

Congratulations on BOB :). Well done.

Remember that Luuka is a baby still and it may take a little time for her to adjust to standing because she's been used to sit - but she's super smart and she'll get there, jusst keep persevering with it, my two were the opposite - because I was doing shows they always did stand but wouldn't sit - it took a while to happen.

For now just take on board how complimentary the judge was because they don't usually say anything that they don't mean - so well done :laugh:

Can't wait to see you guys at the Bilo Ag :laugh:

Thanks Craig! I meant to reply to your message but I forgot because I was asleep when I got it :mad I may need to get a lift with you yet, stupid car company in Bris mightn't have my Jeep ready :love: Are you taking a tent?

LOL - that's fine. A lift out to the ag is fine - just let me know. I'm heading out early that morning. I'll have the gazebo in the car so there'll be plenty of shade :laugh:

apologies if this has been mentioned already, I misread things sometimes but have you tried using a stand hand command when you are walking along just before you are about to stop.

I use an open hand in front of jessies nose in a right to left motion and say stand, it took a little while but now she will do it without me saying anything just the hand cue.

I will definitely be working up to that, at the moment getting her to stand at all is a challenge though! :mad

Remember that Luuka is a baby still and it may take a little time for her to adjust to standing because she's been used to sit - but she's super smart and she'll get there, jusst keep persevering with it, my two were the opposite - because I was doing shows they always did stand but wouldn't sit - it took a while to happen.

For now just take on board how complimentary the judge was because they don't usually say anything that they don't mean - so well done :laugh:

Thanks Craig! I meant to reply to your message but I forgot because I was asleep when I got it :mad I may need to get a lift with you yet, stupid car company in Bris mightn't have my Jeep ready :love: Are you taking a tent?

LOL - that's fine. A lift out to the ag is fine - just let me know. I'm heading out early that morning. I'll have the gazebo in the car so there'll be plenty of shade :laugh:

Cool :champagne: Are we staying overnight?

Cool :champagne: Are we staying overnight?

No - I don't think we'll need to - there should be time for the dog show and to have a bit of a look around the Ag show and still be home in time for dinner - lol. It's only about 1.5 hours so should be all good.

With the puppy classes, for now I would tell them you aren't going to be practising sit in class, work on the stand until that is fixed in her mind (afterall, she already knows sit a bit to well). I will leave teaching sit until they have the show training sussed, then I bring in more of the sits to command but still mix it in with downs and stands, so sit never becomes the automatic behaviour to offer.

Okay thanks becks. I'll ask them if they mind if I just work on stand. She is too good at sit, you're right, she sits in the correct position as soon as I stop walking so there's no problem there.

I will definitely be working up to that, at the moment getting her to stand at all is a challenge though! :hug:

ahh yeah good point Lol. Forgot to mention that early on I would make the cue then put my hand under her belly and once standing would lightly scratch her side seemed to work lol. When she would go to sit would lead off with my left foot and do the cue again. Should have a disclaimer though that whilst she stands it's usually in front of me. For the life of me I can't get her to stay by my side lol.

I had trouble with Daisy's stand for exam (obedience) until I decided to train stand on voice command only with no hand signal. Once I had her doing stand on voice command what 'stand' meant really clicked in her head and I didn't have much trouble after that. Like any stay you train, duration is something you need to work on and the dog will get better at over time.

For training (obedience) with toby he had a solid sit but not a solid stand so I spoke to the instructor prior. Basically we did sit for the bit we had to infront of everyone but when we were all in a line I taught stand while the others practised sit. The instructor and I both knew he had a solid sit anyway LOL

I was also told to make it incidental and fun. So basically I would pick him up and stack him and lure into a stand and treat at random intervals (this involved handfull of treats in pockets daily :hug: ) Toby is a tabled breed so anytable seat ect was an oportunity LOL

Teamsnag may I ask where thos ones are from??

When you return to the judge do you stand in a position like its an auto sit??

Is your body position also confusing her at present with what should be a sit but now you want a stand.

Personally i wouldnt practise stands as such,just walk around the house & always use the word when she does it naturally,no treats just stand good dog.you could say that 100 times each day so the dog associates the word with what it is doing instead of the proper exercise & a trained fail routine.

When you bait are you holding you hand to high to encourage the sit position??

I have never used the stackers because i have seen the result off dogs that didnt well on them or stand there like scared robots due to thinking they will fall.

There good for some dogs but be careful off those that do horribly on them & ruined for life.

Okay that is helpful, thanks!

I have another question, I start obedience training beginners class next week, should I be asking them if I can be excused from sit work or suck it up? :)

Never, ever do anything with your dog at obedience class that you are not happy about. Just do the parts you want to and stand to the side doing your own thing if the class is doing something you don't think will benefit your dog. It is your dog and obedience instructors are not the police. You do not have to obey them. :D

Personally, I never heel a dog in class. I do all my heel work individually, the way they are required to work in a trial. I use class work for stays, stand for exam, stability, jumping, etc. I have Border Collies and 15min of heeling puts them into a coma. Way too boring. The other problem with class heeling patterns is that I have had morons next to me that yell at their dogs or have no control over them and it can ruin a promising puppy in one lesson. Now I never heel my dogs for more than a couple of minutes in training.