Horrendous Handling Blunders

BittyMooPeeb

Oh and Harry my Stafford decided to hump me in the ring last weekend. No one really noticed though.

Awww, missed that one. :(

Note to self.......................watch Megz and Harry this weekend :laugh:

Loving everyone's posts, makes me feel better about myself.

-I get the idea of a triangle, but can't seem to run one for the life of me. :vomit:

-I've been known to stop in the wrong place, nowhere near the judge. :vomit:

-Puppy Dane bit me on the bum while going around the ring :cry:

My favourite stuff up was done by my dog. After the third show of a weekend, she decided she'd had enough. Group line up and we'd just done an out and back. She flopped herself down to the ground onto her side, with no intentions of getting up. Luckily, the judge had already turned his back to us and had no idea that I was behind him trying to lift a 50kg great Dane into a stand from a dead weight :laugh:

Try doing that without laughing :hug:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worst show moment also involved a Great Dane - not my breed but in my fitter days I handled quite a few different dogs for people.

I was standing at the ring entrance waiting to go in for the Junior in Show and I was gas-bagging to someone. The dog kept knocking against me and I got my hip and shoved him back. Next thing he was over the top of me and knocked me to my knees. :hug: I tried to move but he had me pinned and his front legs were gripping me tightly (damn dew claws left marks on my skin!). He rode me for what seemed like forever - I was yelling and everyone just stood there with their mouths open - stunned. I finally dropped flat to the ground and rolled out from under him.

It was an indoor show (at Dunedin, NZ) and my clothes were filthy, face red and then I started crying. Afterwards I was more upset that no-one tried to pull the dog off me - everyone stood there like zombies. While I can see the humour now, I didn't at the time and it was the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me at a dog show.

Stick to the Borders these days!

Afterwards I was more upset that no-one tried to pull the dog off me - everyone stood there like zombies.

I've seen it happen when dog fights start - people are literally stunned into immobility. Not fun for you. I'm glad the dog didn't do anything more serious :hug:

I took the wrong dog once in the ring.. It was pissing down with rain everyone was everywhere and i just lost it n picked up a dog n ran out rofl.. i did get afunny look from a judge hahaha I knew half way around opps oh well LOL I cant even remember what class it was for.. i just wanted to get home.. it was a horrible day!

Edited by TeamSnag

My first ever go at handling was a bit of a disaster - I think it was a bit worse though because it wasn't my dog, it was my mentor's. :laugh:

I was practicing running her around on the grass to get a bit of practice in beforehand (it was an impromptu decision to handle that day) and before I knew it my mentor (who has her other dog in for group, where I was also supposed to be) was calling me as I was about to miss my call!!

So, I sprinted into the ring with the dog bounding along next to me - problem was, I stopped behind the last dog in line with room to spare... my dog didn't. :) The momentum I had given her propelled her straight into the other dog's butt, which in turn unsettled that dog. I was so nervous my hands were shaking, and I just couldn't stack her. She kept sitting down and looking around dreamily (probably more like trying to figure out where her owner was and who the hell this spazz was on the other end of the lead :)). After my fifth attempt at stacking which resulted in her sitting down (she found the chunk of sausage in my hand to be completely uninteresting to boot :D) my mentor had to take over and I was asked by the steward to step out of the ring. :vomit:

Very embarrassing, and at the time I was close to tears but now I remember it and have to laugh. :laugh:

And for the dogs credit, she was only a pup and not high up on the experience ladder herself. :rofl:

Where do I start... :)

Judge asked me to do a triangle, so off I went... in the wrong direction :D Got to the first corner, realised my mistake and turned around to look at the judge with a horrified expression on my face. I think it was only my 3rd time in the ring and luckily the judge was lovely, and allowed me to start over.

Umm what else... female judge awards my dog Best of Breed, I responded with 'thank you sir' :):laugh:

And even just recently, the judge had awarded BOB to the dog and the steward called for the reserve dog (which was not my boy)... however I hadn't been paying attention and rushed into the ring, thinking they were doing the Puppy of Breed runoff :laugh::vomit::rofl:

Oh.. my.. goodness. I'm just about to get into showing and all of these replies have made me so nervous haha! I'm sure I'll have something to contribute to this thread once I've been to my first show.. oh dear. Lol

Oh.. my.. goodness. I'm just about to get into showing and all of these replies have made me so nervous haha! I'm sure I'll have something to contribute to this thread once I've been to my first show.. oh dear. Lol

Two words: Rescue Remedy.. :rofl:

My first show after nearly 20 years out iof the ring - asked to do a triangle - I did but a reverse one - put myself between judge and dog the whole way. He just grinned at me and asked if I wanted to try that agin.....

When one of my boys was a minor puppy we had a very tiny, elderly female judge who cooed and whispered to the dogs as she went over them...my boy took a shining to her and before I could grab him was on his hind legs, front paws on her shoulders, licking her from chin to hair....she got the giggles so he responded more enthusiastically ...I was mortified and left the ring embaressed as hell.....she had her hair standing on end looking like that infamous shot from "There's something about Mary"......she did give him MIG though so obviously she wasn't fazed.....

Edited by Fit for a King

Two words: Rescue Remedy.. :laugh:

Hahaha I dont think my dog will be nervous at all! He's got 75 points towards his Australian Champion so he's an experienced little chap.. his previous owners say he will 'show me what to do'... good lord how I hope that's atleast a little true.. Lol.

Two words: Rescue Remedy.. :laugh:

Hahaha I dont think my dog will be nervous at all! He's got 75 points towards his Australian Champion so he's an experienced little chap.. his previous owners say he will 'show me what to do'... good lord how I hope that's atleast a little true.. Lol.

I think she meant the rescue remedy for you :rofl:

My first that really stands out but sure would of been others LOL, was at the Sydney Royal when the grass was damp under the trees and went A over T and broke my thumb trying to stop myself, yep pretty embarrassing when there were like 30,000 people watching :rofl:

Then last year took a GSd boy in for a friend who had pulled a muscle earlier in the day, he won Junior in group so had him in for Generals and the judge asked me to move him out, so of course gave him his lead and when we got back to the judge he very abrubtly said to me "I said WALK him out and back!" I was horrified and thought well how to stuff that up but the judge handed the Junior in show to Nelson and said "Even though you didnt listen to what I said " I was mortified but elated at the same time :laugh:

People can take that? I had no idea! I'd only seen it talked about for dogs lol.. I'll have to investigate :rofl:

:laugh: It was actually made for people !!!

fifi

Wow I will definitely have to have a look at this stuff now! Sounds like good stuff.. :rofl: