Another Throw Away

shortstep

I've just tried to post a comment but it wouldn't accept it - either too long or perhaps comments are closed as the topic is a week old.

Here's the original blog post

The experience of taking a dog on that terrible one-way trip to the local pound is not one I'd recommend. In my case it was a necessary evil, having had no luck trying to find a new home for our dog, a bitzer called Billie. The short point is she killed native animals. On our property in rural NSW we celebrate the bandicoots, echidnas, wallabies and the wondrous array of reptiles that co-habit with us. Unfortunately Billie didn't share our enthusiasm, or at least she wasn't happy with just looking. She wanted to hunt, and she did so with unreasonable success.

Naturally we did all the puppy training stuff, and even enlisted the help of a local 'dog whisperer' to try to curb her instinctual responses. It didn't work. The merest rustle would send our dog into predatory mode. She'd stand stock still, ears twitching, eyes bright with a hunter's desire. After her third successful foray into the bush we decided enough was enough. I had to explain to my young son that all the native animals we cherished were simply takeaway food for the dog.

So after failing to find a home - interest drops away pretty quickly when you truthfully answer the query of whether the dog had killed anything - we arrived at the ugly option of the pound. The man behind the desk didn't even look up when I asked if we could find out if she'd been adopted. "Better not to know, mate", came the curt reply. At least the staff were kind and enthusiastic in their greeting. What a weird situation, I thought, it really helps to be "good with dogs" when your job is to dispatch unwanted pooches.

These memories came flooding back when I listened to Ian Walker's intriguing Background Briefing on keeping native animals as pets. In these days of feral cats and dogs, when the bush has introduced predators to which the native animals have no effective defence, it's an interesting idea. Who would've thought that backyards might one day become refuges for animals we're usually not allowed to keep. Or that market forces in the buying, breeding and keeping of native fauna might prove a way to stave off extinction.

Ian's show is fascinating, whether you love dogs or hate them. I line up in the first camp, but find myself in the strange position of never wanting another dog.

This is what I tried to post. I'd be interested in any other comments people would have made - or if you think I've made any errors in my response

I'm trying hard not to be too harsh or judgmental, but to often the response of dog owners with a "difficult" dog is to dump it at the pound, washing their hands of responsibility and passing their problem on to someone else.

Protecting our native wildlife is an honourable aim, and I commend you for caring so deeply. But based on the information you've provided, what you've described essentially sounds like a failure to manage Billie properly, to prevent him from being in a situation where he could attack and kill wildlife. While it seems you did try to find a solution and, failing that, to find Billie a new home, I suspect there are other alternatives that probably could have been investigated. I don't know how big your property is, or what the set-up is like? It sounds like it might be acreage, but I'm just guessing. For example, if you are on acreage, did Billie have free access to the entire property? would it have been possible to build a fenced yard around the house to keep Billie contained and out of the bush? Billie would have required walks on lead around the property for exercise, and probably other activities to keep his mind and body occupied, but that responsibility falls to most dog owners, regardless of where they live.

There is also a vast network of private dog rescue groups who will take on dogs for rehoming, both from pounds and private citizens, placing them with foster carers until the right home can be found. Many use the internet to promote the animals they have in care - an excellent resource is Pet Rescue (www.petrescue.com.au).

But if there really was no other solution, and Billie simply couldn't be rehomed, then I really do feel he was at least owed the comfort of your presence at his life's end - and odds are that his life did end at that pound. The alternative - an appointment at the vet for a needle, with you and the family there to say goodbye and give him comfort. It's hard to do. Hard enough when a loved pet is terminally ill, sick with no hope for recovery. Harder still when the pet in question is healthy and has the potential for many more happy years. But leaving your family pet at the pound, alone in a strange environment, to be euthanised by a stranger, really is the easy way out.

You did what you felt you had to - I guess I'm writing this in the hope that someone who finds themselves in a similar situation may try harder to find a solution, a way to better manage their dogs behaviour if changing their behaviour is not successful, look deeper into the options available for rehomeing a dog, and if all else fails, to take responsibility for making sure their dog's life ends as peacefully as possible.

Thoughts please?

I think that's an excellent response.

It's not all that hard to set up a dog run/yard with no plants that encourage wildlife and to prevent a dog from hunting. Wildlife are not likely to try to get into ta small clear yard with the dog. It sounds like an excuse to get rid of a dog and then pretend ot be concerned about animals.

You did what you felt you had to - I guess I'm writing this in the hope that someone who finds themselves in a similar situation may try harder to find a solution, a way to better manage their dogs behaviour if changing their behaviour is not successful, look deeper into the options available for rehomeing a dog, and if all else fails, to take responsibility for making sure their dog's life ends as peacefully as possible.

Thoughts please?

I thought it was great. Good on you for trying to do something proactive.

Your last paragraph is actually a spot-on summary that could be applied to all problem situations with dogs.

Just noticed from the link you put up that all comments have to pass moderation for posting

Maybe it's just awaiting moderation?

either way it is a great and well written reply

--Lhok

Just noticed from the link you put up that all comments have to pass moderation for posting

Maybe it's just awaiting moderation?

either way it is a great and well written reply

--Lhok

Lhok, No I'm pretty sure the message I got said it couldn't be accepted (or something like that), so I don't think it even get through to the moderation stage. I may have a look around the website and see if I can just send an email to him.

dogbesotted, you've no idea how many times I had to rewrite parts so it didn't come off as a rant. I subscribe to the saying that you catch more flies with honey... and figure it is too easy for people to dismiss a idea, complaint or criticism if the person saying it sounds unhinged, much less easy to dismiss if comments are polite and reasoned.

Not to worry though, I'm sure I'll have another opportunity to put these ideas forward again at some point.

As I was reading it, I thought stupid idiot, he's not keeping the dog contained. Then the dog pays the price - God I hate people like this.

Your reply was excellent, well done and I hope he has a good think about it but he sounds pretty callous ....

I actually thought the same dogmad. Although I have to be fair and say that my thinking in relation to dogs has been greatly expanded in the time I've been reading and posting on DOL and I'm not certain that I would have "thought outside the box" beforehand in terms of how to manage the situation he described. But honestly I cannot see myself just leaving a family pet at the pound.

I guess I'm also surprised that that was the outcome after they'd had assistance from a "dog whisperer", whatever the hell he means by that. I would have hoped that someone involved in working with dogs in that way would have been able to provide better guidance on how to deal with the situation in the event that behaviour modification wasn't successful??? :hug: Seems poor Billie was let down by everyone. :( Would be nice to think that he caught the eye of someone at the pound and found a great new home, but I'm too much of a realist to really believe it.

I thought it was a great response. Well thought out and written.

I couldn't possibly respond, I'd want to say that he is a selfish a#####le who should be responsible for his own dog, and have the guts to take her to the vet and have her put down, not dump his problems on the pound staff.

I really dislike the mindset of handing your problem to someone else, and not giving a rats whether they knock it off or not. He was complaining about the dog killing native animals. He is worse, the dog was only following instinct, he was simply someone who wasn't prepared to responsibly deal with problems of his own making. He's supposed to be intelligent, the dog is acting on instinct

And why was the dog able to get into the bush to kill the animals? Hmmm?

Quite a few of mine wouldn't mind a nice possum hunt, or rumbling a goanna, or razzing up a wallaby. They aren't allowed, and they aren't given the opportunity.

How hard is it anyhow?

Hope he never gets another dog. No dog deserves him.

Great response. Very well put. I hope you are able to get it through to him somehow. Ironic really that this dog owner is so concerned about the native animals (totally justifiable) but couldn't care less about the probably sorry end for his own pet dog. Sounds much more like a 'noble' excuse for conveniently getting rid of a dog he's decided he can't be bpthered with. Some people are extraordinary with the lengths they'll go to to justify their own reprehensible behaviour.

I agree very well written, hope you can get it through somehow!! Did anyone notice the reply undernieth, summed it up quite well too.

Quote,

Here's an idea: if you live a rural property, contain your dog in a house yard or a dog run. Taking your dog to the pound is a disgusting cop-out and your story sends the message that it's OK to dump domestic pets because they don't "share" your mid-life, tree-change, eco-friendly ethos. You had a responsibility to keep both the native wildlife AND your dog safe - you certainly failed on the last count. unquote.

Im sure a lot of peoples dogs would do exactly the same thing given half the chance, I know mine would. Thats why they are kept acitve, trained and kept on a secure premisis!! The idiocy of some people just never ceases to amaze!!

I weakened, I did put a response up. Not a nice one (although I managed to contain myself and not call him an a#####le) so it may not pass moderation.

This is my biggest hate.

They have no regard for the animal or it's feelings, (in fact, most of them would argue that dogs don't have feelings), they get a dog which is patently unsuitable for the situation, and once something goes wrong, they don't have the intenstinal fortitude to do the hard yards and find the dog a suitable home, or do the ultimately responsible thing and have the dog put to sleep.

It makes me fully sick.

I agree very well written, hope you can get it through somehow!! Did anyone notice the reply undernieth, summed it up quite well too.

Quote,

Here's an idea: if you live a rural property, contain your dog in a house yard or a dog run. Taking your dog to the pound is a disgusting cop-out and your story sends the message that it's OK to dump domestic pets because they don't "share" your mid-life, tree-change, eco-friendly ethos. You had a responsibility to keep both the native wildlife AND your dog safe - you certainly failed on the last count. unquote.

Im sure a lot of peoples dogs would do exactly the same thing given half the chance, I know mine would. Thats why they are kept acitve, trained and kept on a secure premisis!! The idiocy of some people just never ceases to amaze!!

Edited to add JS you beat me to it with that womans reply, I'm also thinking replies must be limited to a number of characters?

Well there's at least one other person out there who thinks what he did stinks. This is a post that made it past moderation:
Here's an idea: if you live a rural property, contain your dog in a house yard or a dog run. Taking your dog to the pound is a disgusting cop-out and your story sends the message that it's OK to dump domestic pets because they don't "share" your mid-life, tree-change, eco-friendly ethos. You had a responsibility to keep both the native wildlife AND your dog safe - you certainly failed on the last count.

Posted by: Kaz | Tuesday, 27 April 2010 at 12:04 PM

Maybe yours couldn't be posted because of its length iffykharma?

I'd say that's probably it... and at least someone has been able to make the point, succinctly and passionately. I may have a crack a editing my version... that's the trouble with trying to sound reasonable though, it does tend to be a bit long winded - well I do anyway.