Dog Colour

Lhok

Always loved black dogs from when I was a young kid many moons ago :rofl: , so when I fell in love with the Labrador Retriever many years ago, of course black was the only way to go :laugh: Also the Black Labrador is the original colour :rofl: BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL :mad I do actually love Labradors of all colours as they are all the same dog underneath the wrapping :laugh: , but I personally prefer to own Black Labradors and I have 3 of them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always loved black dogs from when I was a young kid many moons ago :( , so when I fell in love with the Labrador Retriever many years ago, of course black was the only way to go :laugh: Also the Black Labrador is the original colour :) BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL :D I do actually love Labradors of all colours as they are all the same dog underneath the wrapping :D , but I personally prefer to own Black Labradors and I have 3 of them.

I have a black male labrador. At first we were keen to get a chocolate, but couldn't because everyone else wanted one! We were on a waiting list for a long time but couldn't get one. We got a black one instead and now that I think about it I'm glad we did get black. Some of the older chocolate labs lose the nice colour in their coats.

I have met gronks who tell me. I want a red nose pittie. It has to be red with a red coat and red nose, because everyone knows when a pitbull has a red nose and red coat it's MUCH tougher than the other pits in different colours. *sarcastic tone*

It's that type of comment I find myself wondering about, the amount of people that I have heard in the vet clinic I volunteer at that say they want a blue staffy is incredible.

--Lhok

I know a lot of people who really want a blue staffy too! I must admit, they do look amazing!

Colour is not too important to me. I like the light blond colour in goldens but I'm not too fussed about it.

I will admit to wanting a dog with a beautiful face though and am VERY partial to a nice muzzle and a pretty face. I really don't think I would be happy with a golden with a snipey muzzle and my breeder was quite intent on picking me a pup with a pretty face since this was my great obsession!

When we bought our Golden Retriever we originally wanted a real 'golden' coloured girl. We ended up with a really light blond colour (almost white). She's a beautiful dog and so many people comment on her looks. Now we're really glad we have her!

Colour is not too important to me. I like the light blond colour in goldens but I'm not too fussed about it.

I will admit to wanting a dog with a beautiful face though and am VERY partial to a nice muzzle and a pretty face. I really don't think I would be happy with a golden with a snipey muzzle and my breeder was quite intent on picking me a pup with a pretty face since this was my great obsession!

Hi-5s bub.... I cant stand snipey muzzles on goldens I think it makes them look cranky :)

Got to say I do prefer the lovely deep golden colour!!!!

For pugs I prefer blacks cause their personality just wins hearts...but I have nothing against fawns...cant stand fawns with shitty pigment thou :D

Pointers my preference is for orange and whites and black and whites but the other colours are alight too I guess :(

I dont have a colour preference exactly I know what I like but if the best puppy at the time showing wise isnt a colour I like then I just have to suck it up and forget about colour!!! :laugh:

it bugs some breeders to their marrow

some get very indignant if you start poking about in their colour range

dont care

i like what i like

and i havent always got what i really wanted

hmmmm

i dont think ive ever got exactly what i wanted

but yep i like my colours

and i like breeds that come in different colours

the patchier the better

i like the randomness

the uniqueness

so breeds like vizslas though i like

and the rhodesians

have got to be married with piebald or a patchy cow

so i get something i can truly admire

i do like white dogs though

so the ice beauty of white shepherds and samoyeds very much appeals to me

i like other animals that are white, too

but not albinos so i opt for darkeyed white varieties in cavies and birds

I like both red and black dobes, but I chose a red one because people react differently towards them, for the most part, because they can't identify the breed.

Having owned a rottie and experienced first hand the ways certain breeds are treated by the general public, I thought I'd experiment and go with a rarer colour. And it's been really successful. The people who would be scared of him just based on his breed have no idea what he is and just love him for being a nice dog - they ask if he's everything from kelpie cross to weim, and the people who can recognise him know the truth about dobies.

So not sure if that is a valid answer to your question, but yes, colour was a large factor when choosing my dog, and I restrained myself to only choose from the brown puppies.

I have some colours I find more striking than others in some breeds, but a good dog can never be a bad colour unless - for me- it is pure white. I just can't handle it as the racing around in my house it would always be grubby. Not only that I have a real thing about full pigment.

When I was looking at Whippets I was after a fairly solid bitch. Didn't care what colour. I got Rommi. I have always liked Blue brindle parti colours. I was then very lucky to have Lewis come to live. If he had of been a different colour I still would have brought him home, but I was lucky I got a stunning dog in a colour I like.

I find some colours really catch my eye. Sometimes I like a colour in one breed, but find it a bit plain in another.

I would never turn away the conformation I want with the temperment I want because it was the wrong colour, unless it had no pigment around nose eyes.

When we got Lili we didn't care what colour she was. We had to pick out of two pups, a red tri and a red merle, we picked the merle, but not just because of the colour. She had the better temperament.

I don't think there is anything wrong with choosing for colour though, as long as the breed is one that suits the lifestyle it can't hurt.

For example, My OH wants an Amstaff but will not get a red one as his first dog was a red Amstaff and he would be reminded of him all the time :)

if a dog is going to be a worker I'm not fussed on colour ... it can be butt ugly as long as it can function :eek:

IF we ever get a show dog (and OH has his heart set on a frenchie) it will be a particular colour. He's obsessed with pieds and it has to have a patch over one eye *sigh*

Guest Tess32

I have colour preferences and see nothing wrong with it. If I want a blue merle, I'll GET a blue merle...what's the problem? :eek:

My standard poodle was supposed to be red, but we fell in love with the lightest of the litter and got apricot - ghastly name for a colour - we call him a blonde! Temperament over colour every time, wouldn't swap him for anything.

When I decided I wanted a Basset almost 6 years ago.. I wanted a tri-colour male.. because I liked the colour. I ended up with a red blanket female because I fell in love with Ruffles the first time I saw her at about 3 weeks of age.

When I decided to patch up my wounds last year and get my one day dog (Tibetan Mastiff) I wanted a pale gold male, there were no boys that colour in the litter I was interested in, so I got Indira.. she is turning out to be a gold dilute and no where near the colour I originally wanted but it seems to make her more precious to me because she is such a unique colour for her breed..

At least with the saint bernards you don't get too much colour variation so I can never be disapointed :eek:

Guest belgian.blue

With my current puppy [English Pointer] I was set on a liver and white only .. I have a strong fondness for black and white but my first Pointer was black and I'm just not ready to have another black in my life. Though after having this little man here for a week, I'm back to be addicted to Pointers :eek:

They also come in lemon/white and orange/white but these colours don't really do it for me as they tend to not be as heavly marked as the darker colours .. I love more colour over white but not quite solid colouring.

My [black] Belgian Shepherd kinda found her life with me out of the blue but I love her colours, jet shiny black with a tiny white section on her chest and brown around her ears.

Yes, colour is important to me but I would defiantly wait for the right coat colour of a healthy happy canine.

Guest *Pixie*
Yes, colour is important to me but I would defiantly wait for the right coat colour of a healthy happy canine.

Why is that being defiant? :eek:

Colour is important to me but only to an extent. I never wanted a plain brown dog for example - how bloody boring. Now I have Brody... plain brown all over :laugh:

My preference is for dogs with markings, which makes them unique... but that's not always what I've ended up with. :p

Apparently "a good dog is never a bad colour".

But I prefer my Deerhounds to be grey. ;)

Love this statement. When we started looking for our standard poodle I desperately wanted silver, as it turned out the litter wasn't silver and the right pup for us happened to be blue, we could have said no and waited for the next litter but gosh I am so glad we didn't as our darling boy is the most wonderful creature in the world :(

Having said that I still want a silver and intend to hang out till the right health tested, well bred silver pup comes along when we're ready to add to the family :laugh: