Whelping My Labrador

jamieson

Glad you felt the pups move-a very stressful time for you.

I went to the vets today and we had another ultrasound! She is dilated and puppies are fit and well and in position. The vet said tonight. However still no action... So its a wait and see game for tonight and hopefully by tomorrow we have had a safe delivery!

First one born 12.30am. :eek::rofl::rofl: ;)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the post and run this morning... the pitfalls of having to work for a living... grrr! And my work has blocked access to DOL... baskets!

In position and dilated would certainly indicate something will happen sooner rather than later... *grin*

I'm with Bilbo Baggins in putting my bets on a late night whelping... they do it just to be difficult you know... hahaha!

My Labrador girl actually ate a full meal about 2 hours before she actually started presenting me with my "grandkids" - she had been nesty and slightly confused since about 3am that morning and finally presented the first pup at 7:30pm - the panting and really weird behaviour so common in a bitch in labour only commenced 1 hour before whelping. I had my vets on notice that she was going to do the deed from the time they opened that morning, and had checked who was on call that night if we needed any help... the whole staff gave me their numbers to call if we needed them... lol!

My girl had 9 beautiful big fat healthy babies (all in the 500g range) between 7:30pm and 12:15am. At 2am I took her outside for a piddle, and then she settled down and decided to go to sleep - as did I on the floor next to the whelping area - woke up at 3am to the noise of the babies complaining that the buffet had moved, and found another (sadly deceased) wet pup had arrived while I napped... all pups were born with sacs intact and I had to open them as my girl had little clue as to that part of the procedure.

Oh - and before I go - just a reminder that were are all going to want birth times, sex, colour details for each pup - and, of course, photos... *grin*

T.

Sorry for the post and run this morning... the pitfalls of having to work for a living... grrr! And my work has blocked access to DOL... baskets!

In position and dilated would certainly indicate something will happen sooner rather than later... *grin*

I'm with Bilbo Baggins in putting my bets on a late night whelping... they do it just to be difficult you know... hahaha!

My Labrador girl actually ate a full meal about 2 hours before she actually started presenting me with my "grandkids" - she had been nesty and slightly confused since about 3am that morning and finally presented the first pup at 7:30pm - the panting and really weird behaviour so common in a bitch in labour only commenced 1 hour before whelping. I had my vets on notice that she was going to do the deed from the time they opened that morning, and had checked who was on call that night if we needed any help... the whole staff gave me their numbers to call if we needed them... lol!

My girl had 9 beautiful big fat healthy babies (all in the 500g range) between 7:30pm and 12:15am. At 2am I took her outside for a piddle, and then she settled down and decided to go to sleep - as did I on the floor next to the whelping area - woke up at 3am to the noise of the babies complaining that the buffet had moved, and found another (sadly deceased) wet pup had arrived while I napped... all pups were born with sacs intact and I had to open them as my girl had little clue as to that part of the procedure.

Oh - and before I go - just a reminder that were are all going to want birth times, sex, colour details for each pup - and, of course, photos... *grin*

T.

Well I will try to provide the latter... Im soooo tired as I didnt get much sleep last night and worked today and then sneaked out of work for another ultrasound during the day! Tomorrow my husband is on watch as I have to work again! I bet they come tonight as predicted by others, in the early hours.

Actually... I wont get any sleep anyway as I will not leave her on her own. The pups should be chocolate and perhaps 1 gold??? The vet said that there are a lot of pups and he couldnt couldnt them but said more than 8 more likely 10!

Ummm... Lab puppies actually come in one "flavour"... GORGEOUS... hehe!

I have no real clue when it comes to colour genetics, but my yellow Lab girl had 10 black puppies - the dog that sired them was black, as were his parents, and the bitch's mother was black, her father yellow... it can be a lottery sometimes I think... *grin*

However, if your bitch and dog came from solidly chocolate producing lines, then maybe you will get a higher percentage of that colour?

I'm going to put dibs on 6 chocolate, 2 yellow, and 2 black... 6 girls and 4 boys...

Anyone else care to lay their bets? *giggle*

T.

Ummm... Lab puppies actually come in one "flavour"... GORGEOUS... hehe!

I have no real clue when it comes to colour genetics, but my yellow Lab girl had 10 black puppies - the dog that sired them was black, as were his parents, and the bitch's mother was black, her father yellow... it can be a lottery sometimes I think... *grin*

However, if your bitch and dog came from solidly chocolate producing lines, then maybe you will get a higher percentage of that colour?

I'm going to put dibs on 6 chocolate, 2 yellow, and 2 black... 6 girls and 4 boys...

Anyone else care to lay their bets? *giggle*

T.

Yes ...the vet staff are having bets as well. It is so exciting and I just hope all are healthy and happy at the end. I think I have dne all I can to ensure this. The parents are healthy and no genetic faults that are known. I will just be happy with healthy happy pups and a healthy happy Mum. I am betting 10 also, but hoping for less as it will be easier on Mum.

In all of this excitement about becoming an "auntie" (*grin*), we have overlooked one very important question about your poor pregnant baby....

... what is her name???

T.

Her name is Pearl and she is gorgeous and very affectionate and gentle, even if she is big and clumsy!

Awww... such a sweet name for a gormless boofy Labrador...

My girl is named Trouble... for a reason... she can be a total shocker when she's in crazy zoomie mode - but that's OK, because she does the zoomie thing with my foster pups and keeps them entertained for me... hehe!

Give Pearl a cuddle from me, and tell her Trouble says that it's all quite easy if you just go with the flow and let mummy help when it gets a little confusing...

I'm off to go get me some dinner now, then watch some TV to unwind before bed... hope to hear that Pearl has made us all aunties and uncles - and didn't make it too ungodly an hour for her mummy...

I'll be dreaming of fat little healthy Labrador puppies and Pearl doing a fantastic job of it, OK?

T.

Awww... such a sweet name for a gormless boofy Labrador...

My girl is named Trouble... for a reason... she can be a total shocker when she's in crazy zoomie mode - but that's OK, because she does the zoomie thing with my foster pups and keeps them entertained for me... hehe!

Give Pearl a cuddle from me, and tell her Trouble says that it's all quite easy if you just go with the flow and let mummy help when it gets a little confusing...

I'm off to go get me some dinner now, then watch some TV to unwind before bed... hope to hear that Pearl has made us all aunties and uncles - and didn't make it too ungodly an hour for her mummy...

I'll be dreaming of fat little healthy Labrador puppies and Pearl doing a fantastic job of it, OK?

T.

Well its morning agfain and no pups. She looked like she may go last night and was licking and acting anxious. However all calm this morning. I tell you I am getting mighty tired!!! So lets see what today brings for her?

I tell you I am getting mighty tired!!! So lets see what today brings for her?

;) welcome to the world of dog breeding. Just wait until they arrive, then you will know what being tired is.

hope she goes soon for you, good luck :rofl:

Any news??

T.

Hi there. No news. Nothing happening as yet, no discharge, no contractions. I called the vet yet again and he said give it to tomorrow as her dates are still ok we think going by measurements on the ultrasound. Pearl looks well and is eating. Personally I am anxious now and just want to to begin!!! Thanks for the support.

Any news??

T.

Hi there. No news. Nothing happening as yet, no discharge, no contractions. I called the vet yet again and he said give it to tomorrow as her dates are still ok we think going by measurements on the ultrasound. Pearl looks well and is eating. Personally I am anxious now and just want to to begin!!! Thanks for the support.

You know what? You need to leave her alone and stop being anxious. She needs to be relaxed and have everything normal. Animals will not labour if they are stressed. If you are stressed then she will be stressed. Put her to bed in a nice dark room and go have a few drinks so her hormones can kick in and let labour happen.

Good luck *grin*

Any news??

T.

You know what? You need to leave her alone and stop being anxious. She needs to be relaxed and have everything normal. Animals will not labour if they are stressed. If you are stressed then she will be stressed. Put her to bed in a nice dark room and go have a few drinks so her hormones can kick in and let labour happen.

Good luck *grin*

Sounds like a great idea! I like the few drinks part. Your are right she is not unwell and all appears fine. I think i have read too many posts on problems in labour...

I dont think Pearl is stressed she is just enjoying all the cudles and attention . I will have to sleep tonight anyway or I wont be able to assist when they do arrive! Im sure I will hear her if labour begins.

Any news??

T.

Good luck *grin*

Yep I agree. In my opinion your temp is too high and you will need it to drop down to under 37.You need to see her shaking them down - shivering. Very few bitches eat once the action is near and some bitches nest and rip up their beds etc for a week or more before the big day.

Walk away leave her in a dark room and allow it to happen.

I wouldn't be suggesting leave her in a room and let it happen!

I have 8 healthy (& pooey :thumbsup: ) 5 week old Std poodle puppies her today, but only because I was there when she began whelping.

She was a maiden bitch & when she began contractions, she leap out of the whelping bed box whislt I was on the telephone & delivered the fisrt pup under my bed & just left it there :rofl: ....not ideal I know.

She only broke the last 2 pups out of the bag....when I showed her the first baby she looked at me like "what the hell is that!!! I didn't do it!" :rofl:

I would be keeping a very close eye on her. When the contractions start they are hard to miss!!