Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Wizzle- yes Mindy was rejected from guide dogs due to her allergies. My mum likes her now (though not as much as she liked clover which is understandable- I think clover was her heart dog).

We saw the dermatologist on tuesday, she thinks mindy has atopy. We are currently doing a food trial- roo meat and pumpkin, quite hard to only give her these two things as she is used to getting scraps and treats and bones. I need to find somewhere that has roo bones.

Next step is an intradermal skin test. All turning out to be very expensive, even with discounts! But she is definitely worth it :)

I felt bad today, last night mindy kept barking during the night. I kept telling her to shut up and ignoring her, only to come down this morning to find that the front door was left completely open all night!!! I think she was trying to tell me last night and i ignored her :thumbsup:

At least she didn't run away or anything!

Aussie - I am sorry to hear that after all your efforts that Mindy didn't end up a guide dog. I guess the bonus is you get to keep her!! And I am pleased that your Mum has come around (though I can understand that there will only ever be one Clover!). That must be frustrating about her allergies! I hope you get to the bottom of it! I am pretty sure Genevieve is allergic to chicken... when I stopped feeding her chicken based products, her skin improved dramatically!

Dandybrush - As KTB explained, we have a baby on the way (the count down is on now) and we have a fur kid! Yep, feel free to use me as your guinea pig!!! I don't profess to be the perfect human or doggy parent, but I have worked out that there are several similarities. The bonus with the fur variety, is that you can put them in the laundry and go shopping in peace... At this stage, we have a one child/one fur kid policy!!!!! I think that has us meeting Dick Smith's 2 child policy right!!?? :thumbsup: Both are expensive, time consuming and I don't do pregnancy!!!! On a more serious note though, take one day at a time and don't make any decisions on a bad day.

Sorry I havent posted in a while, I have been quite flat out. But some good news.

We introduced the e-collar as a training guide for echo starting saturday, and I must say it has been for the better! such an improvement, he no longer ignored my oh, has stopped biting and jumping at us, he now doesnt try to make it a game when told to not bite us by going "nah nah ZOOMIES" and barking at us, he now knows he is no longer in charge and doesnt push us about ( he was really pushing us around the last few weeks and was staring to ignore us and act like he was the boss). his leash walking is now getting better again and his attention and learning abilities since using the collar seem to have shot up significantly.

He now comes back when told, now releases the toy when told and is learning "place" (to sit on an object that is different from the rest of the environment) and "here" (recall) he learnt "out" (release toy) in one session and now he really absolutely loves tug since its all "get it" "out" "get it" "out" he loves it and his enthusiasm to work now shows, when he plays tug now it sounds like i have a bear on the other side lol!

The past few nights of sessions has shown an amazing change in Echo's behaviour, he no longer looks half interested in training and shows alot of confidence and eagerness for the next command. Honestly I don't think we could have ever gotten to this level of enthusiasm with just the clicker, I think Echo needed a sort of balance between positive and negative reinforcement to push him along a bit. He has shown no negative reactions to the collar, while it bothered him at first, he has since taken it pretty well and is quite chilled about it all.

I can't believe what I've missed!

I'm very happy for the new doggy-owners! I am a one-dog person looking to become a two-dog person...... all the things that you guys write about I also have considered, so its been very educational for me :rofl: . I guess we're just waiting til 'the time is right'. Not wanting to get a second dog purely for company for Max (though its very tempting - like Ava, he is so disappointed in the morning when he realises we're leaving.... he hangs out in the bathroom with us as we get ready looking glum....) I guess just waiting til we're sure??????? Who knows!!!! Waiting for the right dog????? ha. So if Willow needs somewhere to go...... :) . Max and I are like this :) - he's my dog through and through and I'd almost feel bad to bring another dog into our home where Max misses out on something. Though having had two dogs before I know its not really like this - each fill their niche and everyone is happier for more love going 'round. And yes, that is as mushy as I'll get :rofl: . Oh, and my OH needs a dog. A girl dog. Seeing as how Max and I are..... :rofl: The only thing is as more time goes by I get a better idea of the kind of dog that would suit our home. Good grief - children. I won't get there. Yet. :rofl: Luckily my sister is taking care of that for the family.... (she's due in May too!).

Very jealous of Mindy coming to work too.... funnily enough while Max wouldn't fit into my workplace much at all - most of my workmates suggest I should bring him in....

max :rofl: im so glad to know im not the only one :) i've been puppy clucky for a while, but my head keeps getting in my way, i over think it :) so i guess the breeder i know almost making me take willow home for a 2 week trial is a good thing :rofl: she was my pick of the litter, i've been watching her grow (it wasnt a random here take a puppy) :rofl:

i get what you mean though max :rofl: raz and i are exactly the same as you and max, i've never had 2 dogs...so this is very new to me :rofl:

oh and heres some pictures!

crocodile impressions

IMG_3256.JPG

his regular carrot, he still loves carrots!

IMG_3270.JPG

Echo being "placed" on the bed and was given a carrot to eat, koda decided to check it out

IMG_3282.JPG

still shiny!

IMG_3276.JPG

what are you doing?

IMG_3275.JPG

food? Yes please!

IMG_3274.JPG

what do you mean getting big? no way!

IMG_3278.JPG

I love Echo's markings!!! So shiny!!

And Dandybrush - it's already started!!! We are naming our little girl Madeleine and the dog is Genevieve... not sure if you are familiar with the kids books and cartoon series 'Madeline'... but basically, we've always loved the name Madeleine and we named or dog Genevieve in the hope that one day we would have daughter named Madeleine!! Needless to say MIL has got on the bandwagon and is currently having a whole bunch of the 'Madeleine and Genevieve' themed stuff made for her! Yes, it is silly to most, but both names have special meaning to us...

As for dog/baby relationship, thus far Genevieve has been most inquisitive! She is allowed into the nursery supervised... we let her sniff and poke the baby things every time we go in there. The hope is that by the time Maddie comes home, Genevieve will be so used to us coming and in and out of the room, it will just be another trip! She doesn't quite like the fact that she can't lie in my lap so comfortably anymore... The look she gives me when she gets boofed by the baby is rather funny! She usually gets up and moves after a few minutes... She has adopted my preggie pillow for her own though (snoring wrapped up in it as we speak) and tries to take me on if I want to nap on the couch with it. She definitely knows something is up. She started this jumping up at me thing about the time I found out I was pregnant... She never used to do that and now she does it a lot. We don't like it and try to shut it down as soon as she does it. Will be interesting to see if she keeps it up post pregnancy...

I was reading in another forum how some ladies have their dogs go all weird and clingy just before they go in to labour, like they know that it is about to happen. I will be interested to see if this happens, if we are lucky enough to go naturally. She definitely went all weird and jumpy when I first fell... There is a school of thought that suggests they can smell the change... :)

1. Happy Birthday little Pepper! Hope you get spoiled like crazy today :laugh:

2. Congratulations to Clastic and Mars for passing bronze obedience.

3. Congratulations to my little monster Hoover on being such a good boy last night and also passing bronze

DSC06233.jpg

Elbie's going for his silver exams on Sunday. He probably won't pass but I hope that this time, he passes almost everything - I won't be too sad if he fails heelwork again :D

Happy Birthday Pepper and Congrats on everyone's passing of the obedience!

Well I'm feeling mega tired and slightly deflated tonight, we had another after hours emergency visit last night, (we had one 3.5 weeks ago when Asti got kennel cough), well last night we went again as she had blood in her diarrhea! :rofl: So we packed Asti up and went off to the emergency vet leaving one very tired Fysher at home safely tucked into his new donut bed. It turned out that Asti had Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) which is something I've never heard of before but I knew the diarrhea was bad and going to make her dehydrated - the blood was also very concerning!!! So Asti stayed in over night (I left the surgery in tears, I don't think I've been so worried about her ever before :laugh: ), then we returned home to find that where we had left Fysher he wasn't there and the baby gate had been smashed apart... he'd freaked out being alone by himself and smashed his way upstairs to find us. There wasn't any damage but he was very upset and breathing heavily. This morning we went to get Asti to take her to our vet and she was a little perkier but had a really sad look in her eyes, broke my heart :D and then we returned home to find the extra barracade we setup to stop Fysher going upstairs didn't work either!

So Asti spent the day at our vet and we were lucky that my parents could supervise Fysher at their house because he was getting too stressed to be left alone becusae we both had some work meetings to attend and I had already had 3 days of sick at the start of the week.

I feel like a very bad doggy parent, but with our lifestyle and his high level of separation anxiety, we've decided that he is not suited to our household and he would enjoy a better life with someone (like a pensioner) who is home all day and can give him the chance to roam around as he pleases. :) I feel sad, he's such a beautiful boy and would make his new owner proud, he's such a clean and tidy dog and his nature is something all dog owners would wish for!

Asti and I will be giving Fysher big hugs tomorrow when we return him to the big pack of frenchies he came from where he can spend lots of time with other dogs...

I have also learnt today that BARF may not be all its cracked up to be and that it could be some of the reason why Asti was sick last night. We had opened a new packet of BARF and Fysher had a gurgly stomach but Asti had effects much worse. The theory is that the BARF could have been left out of the freezer on transit and while I bought it frozen, somewhere else it might not have been ;) So we're going to try Asti on some sensitive stomach biscuits and hills science tinned food to get her belly back to normal...

What does everyone else feed their dogs? (I know we've had this conversation before but I can't remember - it could be tiredness or the stress headache kicking in)

Sorry for the long post :rofl: Sammie.

P.S. I still wish you all the best with your new addition Dandybrush - our next dog will be a pup so that it isn't in a routine and learns to be by himself as opposed to being used to one on one human contact that he would have got training for the show ring :eek:

Edited by SammieS

Ohhhhh Sammie, what a terrible time you've had! :laugh: Poor Asti being so sick, and then making the very tough decision to return Fysher :rofl::rofl: Big hugs to you and Fysher and gentle hugs for Miss Asti. Tomorrow will be hard, no doubt about it, but you are making a very brave decision that will be best for Fysher in the longrun.

Satch screams if I try do training with Ava and he can see us... KTB can attest to that :rofl:

I think for my next dog I'm going to go for one with good play/prey drive... balls, toys, squeakies, tug... seems like fun :laugh:

Note to self: start training puppies from birth in drive, plenty of toys etc.....

Is that a Weatherbeeta coat kyliegirl??

As requested, here are some puppy pics of Pepper!! Happy Birthday to my baby girl, they all grow up too quickly.

Pep2-1.jpgPep3-1.jpg

Pep5.jpgPep4.jpg

Pepper7.jpgPepper1.jpg

Edited: Because I was an idiot..!

Edited by Clastic