Puppy With Mucous In Diarrhoea

My 6 month old pup has recently gotten diarrhoea which i realise is pretty common in pups, only problem is it seems like its covered in mucous. Also last night he woke up at about 4am and started whining to be let out because he had to go so badly which never happens, he usually sleeps through the night. Besides that he seems pretty normal. Has anyone experienced anything like this? We are booked to see the vet in a week for a check up and to get nails cut and not sure if we have to change the appointment to something sooner, which would b a bit more difficult for us. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks =)

Mucus means an upset bowel. The bowel produces mucus anyway, and when there is an upset, it produces more than normal.

I would switch to a bland diet for a few days and see if it settles. No need to panic or worry uneccessarily though.

I would worm first, then bland. I find mucous comes in pups with worms too.

:provoke: .... I'd be inclined to get a Vet to run a worm-burden count using a stool sample. Don't think I'd like to add worming drugs to a tummy already upset and obviously irritated (as indicated by the mucous), if the problem turns out to not be worms and the worming drugs unneccessary.

I'd go the pro-biotics as well, and also a couple of days on a bland diet. A bit of steamed/cooked pumpkin may help as well.

Edited by Erny

Hrmmm i feel that its highly unlikely to be worms as he's been regularly wormed since he was 2 weeks.

Probiotics sound like a great idea! never even occurred to me. I'll get some tomorrow while i'm out. Also, just wondering, for a 10kg pup could i give him 1 tablet of inner health plus? Not sure how the dosage would work with dogs.

Hrmmm i feel that its highly unlikely to be worms as he's been regularly wormed since he was 2 weeks.

That isn't necessarily the case. There are many reasons why a puppy can still have, or get worms, despite being wormed regularly. Not all worm products are effective. Not all worms react to particular products and it can depend upon the life cycle of the individual worm.

And yes, it could be Giardia which is an infection caused by a parasite which attaches itself to the intestine walls causing irritation which is what produces the mucous. Treatment is usually Metronidazole (aka Flagyl) to treat the infection and Fenbendazole to kill the parasite.

Stool sample and dog to the Vet-mucous in the bowel motion could be something minor or the start of more serious conditions such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

If it were my pup would have it and the stool sample to the Vet as soon as. A faecel float and analysis needs to be done to rule out nasties.

I too would not be worming a dog without vet advice with this type of bowel motion

This pup is 6 months old and 10kg (so not tiny). If this were my dog and he was still active and drinking water, I'd give him a bland diet for a few days. If he didn't pick up by day 3, off to the vets. Yes, it could be the start of IBS, but very, very unlikely. Lots of pups get upset tummies. Mine get the occasional muccussy stool after too much rich food (lamb necks).

Stool sample and dog to the Vet-mucous in the bowel motion could be something minor or the start of more serious conditions such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

If it were my pup would have it and the stool sample to the Vet as soon as. A faecel float and analysis needs to be done to rule out nasties.

Not every runny poo is IBD. Pups can easily have gastric upsets due to all sorts of things, mainly the ingestion of foreign substances found in their environment.

Certainly no need for poo samples and faecal floats. No wonder you have such ridiculous vet bills IR.

Yep he is up to date with his vaccinations. his poos are starting to look a bit better so i think it might not be serious. I fed him boiled chicken and rice today and i think that's helping. I think i'll see how he goes for maybe 2 more days and hopefully he will continue to improve. if not he will go to the vets this week, but atm i dont think he needs to see a vet urgently as he seems healthy.. please don't flame me i just wouldn't want him to be prescribed antibiotics unless its necessary. if the vet is anything like my doctor then they will give out antibiotics before theyre even sure what the problem is and i wouldn't want that for my pup.

I can't see any reason for anyone to flame you. I don't rush my dogs off to the Vet at every burp and fart either. :) I think you are doing the sensible thing and I am sure you will know if he needs Vet treatment.

please don't flame me i just wouldn't want him to be prescribed antibiotics unless its necessary. if the vet is anything like my doctor then they will give out antibiotics before theyre even sure what the problem is and i wouldn't want that for my pup.

No flaming here. You will soon learn what needs the vet and what doesn't. If he is otherwise well - eating, drinking and playing, runny poos for a couple of days is no cause for concern. You will know if he needs a vet.

No doubt once the irritation has cleared out he will be fine, and any treatment in the meantime may actually hamper nature.