National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

In reply to Heidii's quote regarding needing to chase points that badly.

Well that is not the case with us & our dogs. We like our dogs to actually earn their points and prefer other entries as it is a rather hollow victory if they have no opposition, much better for dogs and Kennel if they achieve high honours against good opposition. At present we are Showing young puppies and decided to make it a family day by entering their sire also for an outing. He has nothing to prove and does not need to chase points even though earning them would be nice, but he can hold his own and has done against some of the top Shepherds in both rings. We knew about the 500 km limit when told by past Shepherd exhibitors at the Show and that it had been changed recently to the 1000km. We were not the only exhibitors of Shepherds at the Show with other representatives there also from larger Kennels. We enjoy going to the Allbreeds Shows, & we have [when members] suggested to the Tasmanian Shepherd Club about a big sponsorship drive to be able to run a National or Main Breed Assessment at the Tas. Clubs grounds on the banks of the Derwent River at New Norfolk, which is very beautiful, Caravan park alongside, Motels, B & B's, Hotels etc. all close at hand and in one of the most picturesque spots in Tassie, but the Club did not look into it enough stating that they would not be able to get the support, which only shows supporters the lack of foresight and dedication to get these events here. I think most Tassie Showers and those from the mainland that have come across to events at the New Norfolk grounds could only agree what a beautiful position it is and should be utilized more.

Also it is a big difference comparing travelling to the Melbourne Cup and travelling to the National.

Eric.

I feel that you should go and read your opening post, you put it in captial letters no challenges, etc.

As I suggested earlier, contact the Tasmanian Canine Association re your concerns.

By the way there is probably only one difference between travelling to nationals and Melbourne Cup cluster of shows, you can still get challenges within 1000km. :(

Oh and Heidii wasn't the only one that mentioned points chasing :laugh:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the last thing we have to say on this is "Just because we wrote in Capitals does not instantly mean that we wanted the points come hell or high water!" We do not blame the Combined Breeds Club as I'm sure if they had been informed they would have passed on the info. The Controli9ng bodies need ro do a lot more communicating and keeping up with all the changes etc. We know now that is what happens and are wiser, and probably was not aware of it as much as many as we do not go to Shows all the time. The Gazette should be up to date with this sort of info so that Clubs can place on schedules etc. We were even speaking to long time Show-ers who go interstate also but like us if we had wanted to go we would have had to get reliable kennel people in to look after the rest of our special kids while we were away.

So that is all I have to say on this.

I'm glad that there are others who feel the same as we do.

Not correct Pam.

Phone your Kennel Control and you will find the new rule is 500 kms. It was previously 1000 kms. and was changed THIS YEAR to 500 kms.

You might be reading from a rule book that is outdated.

Hi

No need to phone the Canine Council as it was amended at the last ANKC conference 2009. the rule clearly states when the admendments were made.

4.2.5 Where a National Show is held, no Challenge Certificates shall be awarded for the

breed/s involved in the National Show, within a radius of 1000km from the show on

that day/s. (Amended 10/08, 7.1) (Amended 10/09, 6.3.2)

[The change to above Clause 4.2.5 from 500km to 1000km to be implemented as

from 1 March 2010. (Amended 10/08, 7.1) (Amended 10/09, 6.3.2)

For Pete's sake- it is only a bloomin' dog show! Take a reality check folks please.

Do you really need that"fix" so badly to be bickering on a public forum like little children? :thumbsup:

Will it hurt you not to show for one weekend out of 52? I think not and I am sure your dogs don't give a hoot if they have to stay at home for one weekend.

You are not playing for major real estate packages

We have a few shows per year here in Vic where our breed cannot be awarded CC's because a Speciality is on that day and within 1000km so we either trek to the Speciality or have a pleasant weekend at home.

These are the rules and as ANKC members we agree to abide by them each year when we renew our membership.

if you don't like the rules you have two options as I see it; 1) petition ANKC to have it changed ;2) put up with it or 3) don't show.

I am damn sure our dogs could not give a damn whether or not they went to a dog show. They prefer to cuddle up in the house and veg out!

JMHO

Hi Eric

I am quiet astounded at your comments regarding the GSD National. Like most people on the Friday I was well rugged up against the cold. I did not see any sane person of either sex wearing a bikini, to do so would have been notice due to the EXTREME cold. I would recommend that you check that your friend was at our National as I have spoken to numerous people who were at the show today with regards to your comments they to do not recall seeing anyone in a "bikini". Please if you wish to write this sort of comment check your sources and in future possibly use a more reliable resource.

Secondly, I know that you have read on another forum how I did the costings and visability of getting approximately 350 GSD's from mainland Australia to either Tasmaina or to Perth to hold a National event, it was not just the cost of getting the dogs to and from the event but also the fact that it could take a MINIMUM of 8 days to get that many GSD's into either of those states and another 8+ days to get them out again. Thus to hold a show in either WA or Tasmainia is not possible, the WA people were able to understand and accept that particularly as the GSD National does rotate each year that until such time as there were more flights available to put dogs on they woud not request a Natioanl in their state, even though they are disappointed.

Considering Nationals are held annually, I know that some people plan to attend the National and maybe one in another state in between times, I realise that this requires planning and budgeting but we have a number of members who appear to be able to do this whilst on an aged pension, possibly you might like to try this.

With regards to your "friend's" comments to our dog, please note that she was looking at the young classes where puppies like children grow at different rates and that different parts of the anitomy grow at different rates and if your "friend" has been out of GSD's for a long time she might have forgotten how young puppies grow.

In closing I would like to say that when making negative comments with regards to any breed or show it is far better to make them from first hand knowledge and by attending an event, than by listening to second hand gossip, critisim and disparagement.

Yes your quite right Tasmania is at a disadvantage, as the only way you can get off the Island is by sea or air.

Their are many people that are disadvantaged because of limited income and the cost to get off.

It's just not like putting petrol in the car and driving there. As we all know petrol is expensive enough and get getting any cheaper.

I believe Tasmania should be exempt from this rule.

Also many people who show dogs are getting older and may find themselves in the same situation in a few years.

For Pete's sake- it is only a bloomin' dog show! Take a reality check folks please.

Do you really need that"fix" so badly to be bickering on a public forum like little children? :thumbsup:

Will it hurt you not to show for one weekend out of 52? I think not and I am sure your dogs don't give a hoot if they have to stay at home for one weekend.

You are not playing for major real estate packages

We have a few shows per year here in Vic where our breed cannot be awarded CC's because a Speciality is on that day and within 1000km so we either trek to the Speciality or have a pleasant weekend at home.

These are the rules and as ANKC members we agree to abide by them each year when we renew our membership.

if you don't like the rules you have two options as I see it; 1) petition ANKC to have it changed ;2) put up with it or 3) don't show.

I am damn sure our dogs could not give a damn whether or not they went to a dog show. They prefer to cuddle up in the house and veg out!

JMHO

Thats 3 options Colleen!!

Yes your quite right Tasmania is at a disadvantage, as the only way you can get off the Island is by sea or air.

Their are many people that are disadvantaged because of limited income and the cost to get off.

It's just not like putting petrol in the car and driving there. As we all know petrol is expensive enough and get getting any cheaper.

I believe Tasmania should be exempt from this rule.

Also many people who show dogs are getting older and may find themselves in the same situation in a few years.

Well I don't think it should be exempt. These big events come but once a year for GSDs and like most on limited incomes we save to go to these things. We are no different to other states like WA.

It's a "National" .... in my opinion there should be no other CC's available throughout the whole country !!!!

Of course not everyone will attend ... for many reasons..... but its 1 weekend ....and that should be the focus for that breed.

Just want tp correct one of the posts asking me to get facts right. Well it was NOT ME [ERIC] who mentioned the bikinis and other comments made. It was in fact Angelsun, thank you to the other poster who did correct the error on my behalf. Thank you to all who agree that Tassie does indeed have a distict disadvantage and I respect the views of those who disagree after all it is a forum and it is a free country so we can all give our own views, hopefully without offending any one. These are just my views and a few others here in Tassie but now we are more informed, how-ever do feel for any new comers to showing that find out the hard way also, so hopefully once the TCA has been contacted they can do a bit more PA and advertise it and similar rules more. bye Eric.

I have already stated my feelings about the disadvantages here of travelling to mainland shows from Tasmania.

HOWEVER, my opinion about non-awarding of challenges is actually the same as Dellcara's. NO challenges should be awarded in a breed anywhere in Australia when a National Show for that breed is in progress. That may encourage more people to either take their dogs, or at least go and take advantage of so many dogs of a particular breed in one place at one time....and do some good old fashioned learning!!

Part of me would like to say that no challenges should be issued for breeds at the same time as ANY breed specialty which may help numerically smaller breeds to get better speciality entries, but this is obviously not workable when there are so many breeds and so many specialties held at various times in most places in Australia.

I went down on Sunday to check things out. I saw no Bikini's, no over the top double handling, no bickering.

Nothing but dogs in the ring, and nice friendly exhibitors and spectators on the outside.

In fact it was far less wankerish then I expected after reading about GSD specialty shows on DOL.

To me it looked like a well run event.

As for not being told in advance about CC not being offered - That is wrong.

As for being disadvantaged try having a bred you can't fly anywhere when an Adult.

I took the boat over to show in Tassie, hate that boat now :)

It's a "National" .... in my opinion there should be no other CC's available throughout the whole country !!!!

Of course not everyone will attend ... for many reasons..... but its 1 weekend ....and that should be the focus for that breed.

I agree completely with what Dellcara's said :)

However, what I'm having trouble processing is how come it seems ok to say isolated State's need to suck it up and attend or deal with no CC but a National can't be held there, why can't the bigger Eastern States do the same and travel to say WA or Tassie? The Agility Nationals have been held in WA numerous times and nobdy really seems to have much trouble getting over and back!

I can't comment on WA because I haven't been there (although I have shipped dogs back and forth on occasion).

From a Tasmanian perspective though, logistics are a NIGHTMARE and the airlines/Spirit of Tasmania don't help the situation much.

Many of the airlines now use planes to come into the state that do not accomodate animals due to their size. If they do happen to be a decent sized aircraft, there is then a limit on how many dogs can be sent as freight and how many are taken as passenger baggage. Costs for accompanied dogs have risen considerably in the past few years and in some cases people have arrived at the airport to take a dog as excess and discovered that they are going to pay almost as much as it would have cost them for freight for one dog.

And then you have Qantas/AAE who no longer fly dogs of certain breeds under any circumstances anyway.

The Spirit of Tasmania is inconvenient with travel times. Their dog accomodation is not at all good and if you do have the facilities to keep your dogs in your own vehicle, you are still not always able to attend to them outside set hours which obviously isn't acceptable to most of us. Sure, people DO it, but I daresay most only do it under duress when there is no other option available. The boat also docks in the North of the State and it can take a few hours to drive to Hobart and if you aren't familiar with our beautiful State, that in itself can add a considerable time onto your travelling miles.

There have been a number of very successful Nationals held here but I am sure the entries weren't as high as they would have been had the events been held elsewhere. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that those shows were also held around the time of other major events here so as to make travelling worthwhile for the interstaters. Again, this is fine if you can take extended periods of time off work, or if you have accomodation available to you.

Certainly can be planned for and budgeted for, but wouldn't, I'd imagine, be within the realms of possibility for the "average" exhibitor.

I am sorry but if you live in Tassie and wish to travel to the mainland with dogs, with a little planning you can successfully exhibit dogs on the mainland, which many of us do..............plan and budget for it.

Just a little sick of hearing `oh I live in Tassie it is so hard.....'

I am sorry but if you live in Tassie and wish to travel to the mainland with dogs, with a little planning you can successfully exhibit dogs on the mainland, which many of us do..............plan and budget for it.

Just a little sick of hearing `oh I live in Tassie it is so hard.....'

Budget for it......on a pension :)