National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

I have said it before, if you aren't happy with the rules, lobby your local canine control and perhaps discuss with them why they didn't notify the club of the National being held. This thread is just going in circles now.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely with what Dellcara's said :o

However, what I'm having trouble processing is how come it seems ok to say isolated State's need to suck it up and attend or deal with no CC but a National can't be held there, why can't the bigger Eastern States do the same and travel to say WA or Tassie? The Agility Nationals have been held in WA numerous times and nobdy really seems to have much trouble getting over and back!

I'm tending to agree with Silvawillow. If its alright for the mainlanders to say to the Tassies "It is possible just figure it out", why can't the Tassies hold a national and say the same to the mainlanders.

For all that are saying to the Tassies "You can find a way if you wanted too" would it be wrong for the Tassies to say it back and hold a national in Tasmania. Afterall if its OK for them to find a way to the mainland to show it should be the same for mainlanders to figure out how to get to Tasmania as well. As for the eight days mentioned thats part of the problem to be overcome in order to attend.

I am sorry but if you live in Tassie and wish to travel to the mainland with dogs, with a little planning you can successfully exhibit dogs on the mainland, which many of us do..............plan and budget for it.

Just a little sick of hearing `oh I live in Tassie it is so hard.....'

Budget for it......on a pension :o

Well yes, from puppy money and the other things that some do to earn extra on the side, like dog bathing and grooming.

Yes things can be hard on limited income but it can be done.

I wish it were that easy!

As much as I sacrfice and try to save money for interstate jaunts, I'm still hard pressed to afford to travel to shows in Northern Tasmania!!

I maintain that for the "average" exhibitor, interstate travel is difficult and getting more difficult as the airlines make it so. And not everybody is in the position of being able to add at least 2 days each side of their trip for travel by ferry either OR come to that is able to get to Devonport by road from the Southern part of the State to get on the boat in the first place with dogs.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done....as I said in my post with careful planning and budgeting, it CAN be done. But unfortunately not for many of us.

I live in Tasmania by choice....I don't make a habit of complaining about living here because having lived in other States, I KNOW it is one of the best places to be...but regardless of whether you agree or not, it IS hard to get to the mainland for shows on a regular basis unless you have a money tree or a private jet.

Just out of curiosity how far is it from mainland Aust to Tassie and can anyone give an approx cost of say a car and trailer on the ferry? I have never looked into going there and it is quite a travel for me to even consider, but I am asking these questions simply so I may get a bit of an idea of the potential obstacles invovled in travelling from Tasmania to the mainland or vica versa.

Really just after a perspective.

I am sorry but if you live in Tassie and wish to travel to the mainland with dogs, with a little planning you can successfully exhibit dogs on the mainland, which many of us do..............plan and budget for it.

Well yes, from puppy money and the other things that some do to earn extra on the side, like dog bathing and grooming.

As much as I sacrfice and try to save money for interstate jaunts, I'm still hard pressed to afford to travel to shows in Northern Tasmania!!

I maintain that for the "average" exhibitor, interstate travel is difficult and getting more difficult as the airlines make it so. And not everybody is in the position of being able to add at least 2 days each side of their trip for travel by ferry either OR come to that is able to get to Devonport by road from the Southern part of the State to get on the boat in the first place with dogs.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done....as I said in my post with careful planning and budgeting, it CAN be done. But unfortunately not for many of us.

I live in Tasmania by choice....I don't make a habit of complaining about living here because having lived in other States, I KNOW it is one of the best places to be...but regardless of whether you agree or not, it IS hard to get to the mainland for shows on a regular basis unless you have a money tree or a private jet.

Just out of curiosity how far is it from mainland Aust to Tassie and can anyone give an approx cost of say a car and trailer on the ferry? I have never looked into going there and it is quite a travel for me to even consider, but I am asking these questions simply so I may get a bit of an idea of the potential obstacles invovled in travelling from Tasmania to the mainland or vica versa.

Sway put up the costs in this thread earlier. $79 each way per car, trailers are extra.

Over the top...? Having principals? Not at all it's simply about freedom of choice and not being disadvantaged by that choice and not having needless rules, there are far too many as it is, not just in the dog world either

It's rules like this that will discourage the newer show going people who aren't up with all the rules and regulations

Needless rules?? These rules are put in for a reason and a fair one at that IMHO.

I also doubt that this rule discourages newer showies. It's one weekend a year (not even for some breeds). I took the time to read rules and regulations with this sort of thing, why should someone be able to claim ignorance on a matter such as this?

Edited by Gottalovealab

. If its alright for the mainlanders to say to the Tassies "It is possible just figure it out", why can't the Tassies hold a national and say the same to the mainlanders.

[\quote]

The next border collie national is scheduled for Tasmania and I am looking forward to going over there for it. It will be interesting to see how many go, people I have spoken to intend to.

I don't understand the comments that WA and Tas should not have nationals, they are a part of thr country and just as entitled to as eastern states. The agility nationals have just shown people will make the effort to get themsleves and their dogs there if it means something to them. So maybe the German shepherd council also needs it's members to speak up and seek a change to their eastern states ruling.

Sway put up the costs in this thread earlier. $79 each way per car, trailers are extra.

I wish it was I would be on the mainland showing.

Don't forget add a dog trailer plus your fare with sleeping accomadation + food. Then double it because you have to come back.

FaresPrint Email Share Facebook Digg Stumble Upon Twitter Delicious With a wide choice of fares and accommodation, Spirit of Tasmania has options to suit your needs, taste and budget. Fares are per person each way.

Passenger fares apply for internet bookings only.

Passengers Vehicles Bikes Pets Season overview

Off peak season10 Apr 10 - 17 Dec 10 & 22 Jan 11 - 10 Apr 11

Peak season22 Mar 10 - 9 Apr 10 & 18 Dec 10 - 21 Jan 11

Off peak season 10 Apr 10 - 17 Dec 10 & 22 Jan 11 - 10 Apr 11

Passenger Type Adult Child Pensioner

Fare Types Ship Saver Flexi / Standard Ship Saver Flexi / Standard Flexi / Standard

Day Ticket $95 $110 $38 $44 $77

Ocean Recliner $110 $138 $44 $55 $86

Four Berth Cabin: Inside $148 $186 $59 $74 $130

Four Berth Cabin: Porthole $154 $193 $61 $77 $135

Twin Cabin: Inside $179 $224 $71 $89 $156

Twin Cabin: Porthole $187 $236 $75 $94 $165

Deluxe Cabin $280 $350 $280 $350 $350

Peak season 22 Mar 10 - 9 Apr 10 & 18 Dec 10 - 21 Jan 11Passenger Type Adult Child Pensioner

Fare Types Ship Saver Flexi / Standard Ship Saver Flexi / Standard Flexi / Standard

Day Ticket $155 $175 $93 $105 $122

Ocean Recliner $169 $194 $101 $116 $135

Four Berth Cabin: Inside $215 $247 $129 $148 $172

Four Berth Cabin: Porthole $225 $259 $135 $155 $181

Twin Cabin: Inside $235 $270 $141 $162 $189

Twin Cabin: Porthole $260 $299 $156 $179 $209

Deluxe Cabin $395 $440 $395 $440 $440

For an explanation of the conditions of each fare type please refer to Fare conditions.

Fare includes accommodation as booked plus access to all the entertainment, bars and facilities on board. Cabin fares are based on a twin share minimum. Surcharge for sole use applies. Prices are subject to change without notice. Amendment and cancellation fees may apply. Carriage is subject to Spirit of Tasmania’s terms and conditions. A $5 booking fee per person each way applies to bookings made via the call centre, email booking form and terminals.

Pensioner fares apply to holders of the Australian Pensioner Concession Card only - limited availability. Child fares apply to ages 3-15. Infants under 3 travel free of charge.

Take your car from $79* each way

Spirit of Tasmania offers the convenience of being able to take your own car on holiday with you.

You’ll not only enjoy the freedom to discover beautiful Tasmania at your own pace, but you’ll also save money by avoiding airport parking, taxis and car hire costs! And of course, packing is so much easier - just load up your car with extra suitcases, fishing rods, golf clubs, whatever you like!

Standard cars (ie normal passenger car, people mover, 4WD or ute)

LENGTH (m)

OFF PEAK SEASON

10 Apr 10 - 17 Dec 10

22 Jan 11 - 10 Apr 11

PEAK SEASON

22 Mar 10 - 9 Apr 10

18 Dec 10 - 21 Jan 11

0.1 - 5.0 $79 $79

5.1 - 6.0 $89 $89

Cars towing caravans or motorhomes/campervans

LENGTH (m)

OFF PEAK SEASON

10 Apr 10 - 17 Dec 10

22 Jan 11 - 10 Apr 11 PEAK SEASON

22 Mar 10 - 9 Apr 10

18 Dec 10 - 21 Jan 11

0.1 - 7.0 $93 $134

7.1 - 8.0 $161 $213

8.1 - 9.0 $229 $292

9.1 - 10.0 $297 $371

10.1 - 11.0 $365 $450

11.1 - 12.0 $433 $529

Each extra metre $68 $79

Cars towing trailers

LENGTH (m)

OFF PEAK SEASON

10 Apr 10 - 17 Dec 10

22 Jan 11 - 10 Apr 11 PEAK SEASON

22 Mar 10 - 9 Apr 10

18 Dec 10 - 21 Jan 11

0.1 - 6.0 $89 $128

6.1 - 7.0 $276 $317

7.1 - 8.0 $344 $396

8.1 - 9.0 $412 $475

9.1 - 10.0 $480 $554

10.1 - 11.0 $548 $633

11.1 - 12.0 $616 $712

Each extra metre $68 $79

The prices listed include the deduction of the Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme rebate of $183 for a standard car and trailer and $366 for a standard car towing a caravan or a motorhome/campervan.

Ride your motorbike around Tassie

There's no better way to take in Tasmania's dramatic landscape than from your own motorbike or bicycle.

The prices below include the Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme rebate of $91 for a motorbike or a motorbike with sidecar and $25 for push bikes.

VEHICLE TYPE

YEAR ROUND RATE

Push bike $7

Motorbike $53

Motorbike with sidecar or trailer $79

Take your best friend on holiday with you

A limited number of kennels are available on Spirit of Tasmania for $22 per pet each way.

If you are planning on travelling with a pet, it must be booked in a kennel. We supply water and passengers are requested to provide pet blankets but no food for consumption during the sailing.

You are not permitted access to your pet during the sailing. We recommend pets be appropriately vaccinated against domestic pet related diseases. There must be documentary proof of hydatid tapeworm treatment for dogs entering Tasmania.

For more information, call the Dogs to Tasmania Info Line on 1800 684 215.

Edited by oakway

What part of not being able to get 375+ dogs of what ever breed you want to show at a National to either Tasmania, Western Australia or the Northern Territory are people not getting. IT IS LOGISTICALLY NOT POSSIBLE to get that number of dogs into and out of those states. At our Nationals (GSD's) we have around 550 dogs entered, I cannot see in Tasmaina's case there being 175 GSD's to compete in a National Show, but working on the 350 - 375 number it is not possible to get that many dogs to Tasmania unless they start arriving 8-10 prior to the show and leave 8-10 days after the show.

If the GSDCA didn't want a show in WA, Tasmainia or the Northern Territory why did I bother doing the numbers finding out all the information and sending it to the President,(on request) it basically at this stage cannot be done. I believe IF it had been viable GSDCA would have looked at it.

And yet I believe the hoards still manage to get accross for the two royals in Tassie each year? Does anyone have any idea how many 'mainlanders' and dogs attend these two royals? Or is it just one or two and the majority of entries are locals?

And yet I believe the hoards still manage to get accross for the two royals in Tassie each year? Does anyone have any idea how many 'mainlanders' and dogs attend these two royals? Or is it just one or two and the majority of entries are locals?

Just a few and the locals are the majority.

Often the few that do come make it a holiday and do a few shows. (To the best of my knowledge).

What part of not being able to get 375+ dogs of what ever breed you want to show at a National to either Tasmania, Western Australia or the Northern Territory are people not getting. IT IS LOGISTICALLY NOT POSSIBLE to get that number of dogs into and out of those states. At our Nationals (GSD's) we have around 550 dogs entered, I cannot see in Tasmaina's case there being 175 GSD's to compete in a National Show, but working on the 350 - 375 number it is not possible to get that many dogs to Tasmania unless they start arriving 8-10 prior to the show and leave 8-10 days after the show.

If the GSDCA didn't want a show in WA, Tasmainia or the Northern Territory why did I bother doing the numbers finding out all the information and sending it to the President,(on request) it basically at this stage cannot be done. I believe IF it had been viable GSDCA would have looked at it.

Thanks Freundhund, your reply says it all if that amount of dogs can't get into WA, NT, & our Beautiful Island of Tas, then Shows held in these arease at the same time should be an alternative to us exhibitors who can't get to the mainland states.

We could write letters to National Council, Our Controling Bodies, but like a lot of other suggestions they fall on deaf ears a lot of the time.

We would love to go to a National & hopefully god willing will get to one before it is too late for me to be able to travel at all.

I have been told all about the event and try to imagine that volume of dogs I think it would be so spectacular and from what friends have said it is even more impressive than any-one could describe. We were thinking of flying over just to watch this year seeing it was the Jubilee, but it did not happen so will have to wait a while longer. As membvers of the Victorian German Shepherd Club we at least can keep up with all the news and really appreciate getting our magazine every 2nd month, plus the National Review. We notice that around the State of Vict. you can go to quite a few shows in a week-end EVEN THOUGH IT MAY MEAN A FAIR BIT OF TRAVEL.

But maybe we can get our TCA to do something this time.

Eric

So in essence the GSD's no not want to leave the eastern seaboard. Thus Tas should not be disadvantaged by a National.

So in essence the GSD's no not want to leave the eastern seaboard. Thus Tas should not be disadvantaged by a National.

RIGHT ON BILBO BAGGINS if it isn't possible for the amount of entries to get to any of the States that are harder, more expensive etc., etc., then you are SPOT ON why should we be disadvantaged. They expect us to plan, plan, plan, and get to the ones held over there, but when the boot is on the other foot who is stating that they could not come or even the shows be held because of the trouble to get the entries here.

says it all ...Eric.

You can get that many dogs into Tas in a short period of time, They can come via boat in a trailer or Car.

Or use the on board boarding facilities - i don't recommend that!

Plane would be harder and take longer, due to restriction, restrictions every state has.

When i went over we took 8 dogs in the van, Dogs are free if in a car or float.

Why is it that those getting to Tassie don't bitch, but those getting out do?

LOL typical mainlander answer.

If every single National for every single breed was held in Tasmania the tables would be turned and it would be you who would be bitching about it :thumbsup:

LOL typical mainlander answer.

If every single National for every single breed was held in Tasmania the tables would be turned and it would be you who would be bitching about it :thumbsup:

No I wouldn't, I would be attending MY BREEDS National.

You either put up or shut up. :cheer:

You can get that many dogs into Tas in a short period of time, They can come via boat in a trailer or Car.

Or use the on board boarding facilities - i don't recommend that!

Plane would be harder and take longer, due to restriction, restrictions every state has.

When i went over we took 8 dogs in the van, Dogs are free if in a car or float.

I have been led to believe that you can not leave a dog in a car overnight. It must go into the kenneling provided.

See my above post for kenneling fees.

Edited by oakway

I have been led to believe that you can not leave a dog in a car overnight. It must go into the kenneling provided.

You can do it and many have done it.

I saw at least 15 people with cars do it when i went over for the Royal, plus trailers with dogs - and that was just the night i went over.

Capanash went to Tassie earlier in the year and her Poodle stayed in the van fro the trip.

You can do it and many have done it.

I saw at least 15 people with cars do it when i went over for the Royal, plus trailers with dogs - and that was just the night i went over.

Capanash went to Tassie earlier in the year and her Poodle stayed in the van fro the trip.

Yes in a crate in a van and yes in your own trailer but not loose in a car. Also not allowed to be left loose or tied in the back of a ute.