Awesome Dogs...

A friend and I were talking about dogs that have special jobs - guide dogs, assistance dogs, search dogs etc. I know of a toller owner in North America that does avalanche search and rescue with her Toller - its amazing what they can do! It got me thinking that there must be heaps of dogs out there with amazing jobs that I dont even know about....so - whats your favourite dog with an amazing job??

I know we don't have the risk of snow avalanches here :cry: - but what is the most awesome job for a dog that you've heard of in Australia, and why?

Well, not in Australia. But tibetan spaniel owner in the US was also a search & rescue person for aircraft crashes. He trained 2 of his little tibbies to go into the wreckage with camera leads attached. The tibs were small, light & surefooted (with their hare feet).

He said other crews with their sophisticated equipment used to laugh at him when he turned up at simulation practices with 2 small cute looking dogs under his arms.

Until, they got to work....

Edited by mita

I worked in childcare for a year, and we had two amazing dogs there for individual children.

One was a GR called Lucky with a four year old boy. He couldn't eat by himself {tube in stomach} and had Down's. The dog lay next to him the whole time, followed him when we took him outside, and barked to let us know if he rolled over or was in any trouble {sometimes he'd grab his stomach tube or would dribble}

The other was a three year old girl with a two year beagle called SuperHero Powers {truly}. She had gran mal epilepsy and he followed her around, and if she dropped he'd howl for our attention, and lie under her head.

Wow Mita - I wouldn't have picked a Tibbie for that sort of work - although I can see why it would make sense. I often wonder with the customs dogs, particularly the labs, you would think they would crush a lot of the packages the have to climb over and sort through

ValleyCBR, Heavypaws thats awesome! And gotta say, SuperHero Powers is a great name :thumbsup:

Irish Terriers were used as messenger dogs in the first world war because of their courage and spirit. :thumbsup:

I think an "everyday" working dog on a farm is awesome and love watching them work.

There is a show called "dogs with jobs" - on paye tv but you should be able to find it.

They have dogs who have amazing work - one can sniff out dead bodies in lakes - this saves the divers from getting caught up in lakes and rivers because the dog identifies the location for the diver.

Another who can find bones of people buried going back as far as the American slave traders. used to identify where slaves were buried outside of the cemetaries because back then they didnt believe slaves were people!!!!

My favorite was a women with epilepsy had a dog who would push her when she was about to fit and the woman could sit down safely and dog would wait and even lay on her to prevent her rolling into danger......

I have always been fascinated by assistance dogs and have now been presented with an opportunity (alas tho because of misfortune)- a friend has a cousin who has just had a severe accident, the young girl saw a pup from my litter and now wants a pup from the next litter and we will work on training the dog as an assistant dog. Currently we are working with a few of the dogs to teach them to open doors and retrieve objects. That way we can develop some techniques to start her pup off early and help her and her mum train her own dog. Otherwise it could be up to 5 years to wait for a trained service dog - whereas she now has a new pup to look forward too when she gets out of the rehab centre.

I often wonder with the customs dogs, particularly the labs, you would think they would crush a lot of the packages the have to climb over and sort through

I'm sure they do :thumbsup: Ever notice that your check-in luggage is a bit beat up? :love:

Lots of newfs do water rescue.....Even get thrown out of helicopters in Italy to do the job

Newfs track in search and rescue in snow and on water from a boat to show where the people are. They have a natural affinity to rescue. Very annoying when you are swimming and they circle around you. grab the tail and they will drag you to land :love:

:thumbsup:

APBT's are were used in the 911 search and rescue and are also used as police dogs overseas, and until BSL also in South Aus.

They're also used as customs dogs in the US.

explosive detection dogs are among those of very special jobs, it might not sound awesome, but these dogs are the heroes of our heroes and are treated as such.

I think that sounds pretty awesome! Are they the same as the dogs that can sniff out the point of origin/cause of a fire?

explosive detection dogs are among those of very special jobs, it might not sound awesome, but these dogs are the heroes of our heroes and are treated as such.

I think that sounds pretty awesome! Are they the same as the dogs that can sniff out the point of origin/cause of a fire?

these are military dogs, I am unsure about that but their job is to detect any mines or bombs and alert the military troops, They are often dogs rescued from bad pasts, the military place alot of money in their rehabilitation and training. The dogs are trained to be the best they can be.

20100217adf8246638_040.jpg

20100213adf8246638_455.jpg

Edited by kyliegirl

APBT's are were used in the 911 search and rescue and are also used as police dogs overseas, and until BSL also in South Aus.

They're also used as customs dogs in the US.

What police role was the APBT used for overseas???.

I know a few have been trained up for drug detection in the states.