Need Advice In Creating A Stress Free Bath Time.

iheartmorrison

Hi all.

Morrison had a bath about an hour ago, it wasn't his first time but it sure felt like it. We usualy need two people to get the job done; one to keep an eye on him and another to bath him, cause he's an escape artist.

I have given him a bath by myself, it was a bit of a struggle because he'd try to jump out of the tub - had to keep a close eye on him.

Does anyone have any tips for making bath time less stressful and fearful for your pup because I don't want to take him to the groomers every time he needs a bath.

I can only recommend having everything ready before hand and maybe keeping him on a lead.

Talk to him in a calm steady voice and try not to stress as he will pick up on your feelings.

I have been known to take dogs into the shower with me, but this works best if you have a shower head you can hold for rinsing or have a bucket of warm water handy for rinsing.

dont pander to them.

Have a non slip mat & get on with the job,the more people hanging on & comforting the longer it takes & the more of a big deal you create.

When he tries to jump dont piss fart about its a stern "no" Then what ever the word you wish to use said & then praised .

be prepared like already mentioned & just get on with it

Massage and TTouch. Definitely get a non-slip mat and use a hose with shower head so pup doesn't feel like he's drowning. Use warm water and restrain pup so he can't even try to jump out. That might mean a very short leash tied to something or held close to the collar. If they get a chance to try to jump out I think it's worse for them. They slip and get more frightened.

If you bathe often it would be worth a proper counter-conditioning regime. It really doesn't take that long. If I ever thought of it I'd do it with my dogs, only mine aren't much trouble in the bath and I hardly ever wash them anyway so it has never occurred to me. CC is as simple as feeding treats in the bathing area, then progressing gradually to the bath/hose, then with the water running but not touching them, then a little water on the feet and so on and so on. Massively abridged version.

I bathed my 17 month old this afternoon and we did it in the regular bath tub for the first time. I left some water in the bottem as his feet were yellow from sand and dirt. My husband talked to him whilst I sat on the edge of the bath (we have tiles at the end like a ledge) and bathed him with a shower spray attached to the taps. He tried to escape once and I had a stern "No". I just used postive praise and afterwards gave him a treat (the poor boy had had his feet clipped, been thoroughly brushed, combed and de-knotted). Of course all this was so he looks "posh" for his first dog training class tomorrow :rofl::rofl:

If you bathe often it would be worth a proper counter-conditioning regime. It really doesn't take that long. If I ever thought of it I'd do it with my dogs, only mine aren't much trouble in the bath and I hardly ever wash them anyway so it has never occurred to me. CC is as simple as feeding treats in the bathing area, then progressing gradually to the bath/hose, then with the water running but not touching them, then a little water on the feet and so on and so on. Massively abridged version.

This is really difficult when they are that stressed anywhere near the bath area that they won't accept food!!!

My dad suggested filling up the bath a little bit (up to his feet/ankles) and just let him play around in the water.

I guess we'll use a shower spray attached to the taps, it will probably make him feel less like he's drowning.

We used a squeaky toy and 2 people for earls first bath - one to distract him with the squeaky toy (he loved trying to grab it out of the water) and the other to actually do the washing - we use a jug to scoop water on him.

He now tries to follow the kids in when they go for a bath - he likes to eat the bubbles :(

Interesting though that that kelpie doesn't like baths at all - i think she has less grip with her little paws than he has with his big bloodhound flippers - plus she is a more nervous dog in general

We've tried treats and ignoring the 'scared' behaviour. As it is now we have one dog who will beat the door down to jump into the bath and the other dog is the complete opposite. So with the 'scaredy' dog we just get on with it and don't fuss at all!! He's not as bad as he was, but he certainly doesn't enjoy his bath.

Maybe try getting the pup to like being in the bath with no water in it, throw some toys and treats in then slowly get her used to the water. My dog jumps in the bath while I'm having a shower and gets soaked because she sees the bath as a fun place to be, I can't keep her out of there...lol

Morrison's first bath didn't go down that well, my dad bathed him while I kept an eye on him. Dad poured water over him, to Morrison it probably felt like he was being drowned. Should have taken things slowly and calmly.

I'll get him to realise bathtime isn't so bad.

First time giving Emmy a bath was very noisy! :thumbsup:

She screamed, barked and cried throughout the whole thing. You would think the world is ending on how she was acting! I sat in the bathtub with her and ignored all the noise, just remained calm, I only stopped when she threw her tantrums... then continue doing it after she finished. I knew she was going wear herself out and I was right. She slept through the blow drying her!

My advice is just continue what you're doing. Ignore the tantrum and fear in it... they will eventually learn to tolerate it.

Edited by charleswentworth

Guys, how do you wash pups head?

My boy is getting a little better with each shower but so far I just wipe his head/face/chin with a wet cloth (no soap).

I see pictures of dogs being totally soaped up on their heads/face but am not really sure if I should do this.

This is really difficult when they are that stressed anywhere near the bath area that they won't accept food!!!

Then you just gotta start far enough away that they will accept food. :) I think CC fails when people move too fast. You have to keep feeding until they are quite comfortable with that step before taking another step.

• 1 month later...

I tried this for the first time and it worked really well (I have a food motivated pup)

I smeared some peanut butter on one end of the bath, and whilst he was busy licking that, got to work with the shampoo and hose

Worked a treat! (I had to work pretty quickly myself but at least had two free hands)

Guest belgian.blue

My two love the bath and this is from frequent bathing as puppies, in natural product, and a soothing calming voice with praise when standing still.

A quick NO when they try to jump out.

Non slip mat is a great idea but I never had one. Maybe get one soon though as Badger needs bathing more than Ivy.

Hi all.

Morrison had a bath about an hour ago, it wasn't his first time but it sure felt like it. We usualy need two people to get the job done; one to keep an eye on him and another to bath him, cause he's an escape artist.

I have given him a bath by myself, it was a bit of a struggle because he'd try to jump out of the tub - had to keep a close eye on him.

Does anyone have any tips for making bath time less stressful and fearful for your pup because I don't want to take him to the groomers every time he needs a bath.

Do it often, do some quick washes like legs only, use a non-slipn mat and a shower hose and keep the water off his head.

Wet the dog, turn the water off, soap him up and rinse him off. Don't try getting his head wet until he's standing like a rock for a normal bath.

I have mine in the tub from when they are babies and whilst none of them enjoy it, they all tolerate it.