Weird Sores On Paws

I will be interested to hear what your vet says,because my girl gets the same and the vet was no help at all!

I tried bathing in salt water,antiseptics and antibiotics.

What does work is the enzyme wound sprays.

It seems to come after a dip in the dam water so i try to keep her out.

Would be nice for a better solution though.

Did your vet say what is was? I would suspect bacterial or fungal cause if related to the dam...

Mason's Mum: An allergic dog may be more prone to picking up fungal or bacterial things from the dam / river as well, as their skin barrier function may be compromised, so getting that functioning better may help in the long run...

Yeah I have noticed that ;) I feel so sorry for the poor thing :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be interested to hear what your vet says,because my girl gets the same and the vet was no help at all!

I tried bathing in salt water,antiseptics and antibiotics.

What does work is the enzyme wound sprays.

It seems to come after a dip in the dam water so i try to keep her out.

Would be nice for a better solution though.

Did your vet say what is was? I would suspect bacterial or fungal cause if related to the dam...

Mason's Mum: An allergic dog may be more prone to picking up fungal or bacterial things from the dam / river as well, as their skin barrier function may be compromised, so getting that functioning better may help in the long run...

Nope.

Vet had her there under anesthetic for speying,so a good chance to look and explore.She has no other alegies and 12 yrs.

Wound spray takes a few days,but does clear it till next time she gets her feet in the water.

Nope.

Vet had her there under anesthetic for speying,so a good chance to look and explore.She has no other alegies and 12 yrs.

Wound spray takes a few days,but does clear it till next time she gets her feet in the water.

Yeah, I didn't think your dog was allergic, just chucked that out there more for Mason's mum :)

Weird that the vet didn't say what it was... did they offer a treatment at all? Can you ask them?

Orbit gets this sort of thing relatively often - starts with them being itchy, so he chews them, makes them inflamed so he licks at them non stop and turns them into nice big raw superficial infections. He gives himself lick granulomas on his arm too, when his skin has flared up.

You need to take away the inflammation to start with and also treat the infection. I use Neocort for the bad ones. Stopping them licking is the hardest thing too.

Nope.

Yeah, I didn't think your dog was allergic, just chucked that out there more for Mason's mum :thumbsup:

Weird that the vet didn't say what it was... did they offer a treatment at all? Can you ask them?

The vet offered no ideas at all! I was prety disapointed,but 2 of my kids get a allegies and their skin reacts to the dam water too,so I have assumed its a bacterial problem and just avoid the dam,but when she does get in there it flares up overnight and I just resume the wound spray while its working.

I think I recall posting in your earlier thread about the possibility of it (now 'them') being interdigital cysts.

I thought my boy might have had Furunculosis (in which case, whilst called interdigital "cysts" they are not 'true' "cysts"), but the opinion of a Vet and Naturopath suggests otherwise - their opinion being that it was another way of my boy expressing toxins that his liver was unable to cope with (instead of hives, which was another of his symptoms).

Apart from the remedies/treatments of the Naturopath and Vet (holistic, chinese herbal) to help try to straighten out his digestive system and support liver function, I treated the cyst symptoms by :

• Bathing each foot in Calendula Tea or, if I didn't have as much time to organise that for the moment I wanted to treat them, I used an antibacterial wound spray.
  • Rubbing in Aloe Vera Gel (liberally) once a day every day, or more often as deemed necessary.

The main thing to guard against is infection.

In my boy's case, the cysts did become quite large and some would bleed with the pressure of opposing toes, especially after he'd had a run. Consequently, when they were at their worst, I didn't take him out for walks or runs. (There were 2 x periods of about 4 days a piece where we didn't do anything, and only then went out because he so needed to get out.) As they began to at least look a little better, I took him out for on-lead walks, but avoided allowing him to tear around our local park, as this tended to prove a little too much and would make the cysts raw and painful.

The cysts were in their multiples. One would appear and another would come up next or under it. Some cysts were small and didn't grow large before they disappeared. Others were large and whilst they improved in appearance (ie stopped looking angry/moist) they took a while to actually completely go away.

In my boy's case I think it has been about 2 months since I first saw the cysts appear and they are only now almost gone. He developed them first in one foot, then another and before I knew it, they were in each foot.

Edited by Erny

I think I recall posting in your earlier thread about the possibility of it (now 'them') being interdigital cysts.

I thought my boy might have had Furunculosis (in which case, whilst called interdigital "cysts" they are not 'true' "cysts"), but the opinion of a Vet and Naturopath suggests otherwise - their opinion being that it was another way of my boy expressing toxins that his liver was unable to cope with (instead of hives, which was another of his symptoms).

Apart from the remedies/treatments of the Naturopath and Vet (holistic, chinese herbal) to help try to straighten out his digestive system and support liver function, I treated the cyst symptoms by :

• Bathing each foot in Calendula Tea or, if I didn't have as much time to organise that for the moment I wanted to treat them, I used an antibacterial wound spray.
  • Rubbing in Aloe Vera Gel (liberally) once a day every day, or more often as deemed necessary.

The main thing to guard against is infection.

In my boy's case, the cysts did become quite large and some would bleed with the pressure of opposing toes, especially after he'd had a run. Consequently, when they were at their worst, I didn't take him out for walks or runs. (There were 2 x periods of about 4 days a piece where we didn't do anything, and only then went out because he so needed to get out.) As they began to at least look a little better, I took him out for on-lead walks, but avoided allowing him to tear around our local park, as this tended to prove a little too much and would make the cysts raw and painful.

The cysts were in their multiples. One would appear and another would come up next or under it. Some cysts were small and didn't grow large before they disappeared. Others were large and whilst they improved in appearance (ie stopped looking angry/moist) they took a while to actually completely go away.

In my boy's case I think it has been about 2 months since I first saw the cysts appear and they are only now almost gone. He developed them first in one foot, then another and before I knew it, they were in each foot.

Yeah he has 2 paws that have one sore each and a 3rd paw is very red between the pads. I will see what the vets have to say, I am also thinking allergies, his ears are also really itchy at the moment but that sould just be scratching from allergies and no infection - took him to the vet about 5 weeks ago and they said he had a ball of hair down his ear and we flushed it out using ear rinse.

Looks like he does have some ingrowing hairs which need removing from his pads. Take as many out as you can with tweezers. if you give the skin a gentle squeeze more that have ingrown may pop out.

I would also be treating his wet wounds with curash powder.

Sorry I cant remember seeing your thread a little while ago.

Well i hope it works for poor Mason quickly,its awful seeing them so uncomfortable with this.

Good luck with the treatments.

If he has allegies already I think the water may well have set this one off.Poor boy.

Verdict is allergies, we are now on Hills ZD and antihistamines and cortisone for awhile, we also have some leave on conditioner.

Is the conditioner Aloveen?

No I think its called Pyrohex or something like that? Aloveen makes Mason scratch a lot for some reason

Did you get a referral to Dermatology at Murdoch?

No her vet wasn't especially cooperative this time apparently. We were talking about it, do you need a referral? What if MM was to see a vet at Murdoch, would she have a better chance of getting a referral do you think?

Did you get a referral to Dermatology at Murdoch?

No her vet wasn't especially cooperative this time apparently. We were talking about it, do you need a referral? What if MM was to see a vet at Murdoch, would she have a better chance of getting a referral do you think?

I rang my vet and said this is what I want and went down a few hours later and picked up the referral - they had only seen Beans once for allergies.

In all our woes Beans had never had steroids (thank you Mandy at Murdoch for supporting me with this) - we have Cortivance in the fridge - but it is unopened.