Weird Sores On Paws

Anything with oatmeal makes Orbit itch - both topical and food. I have used the pyohex condition with success - great for putting on pustules to make them dry up.

Another to suggest the referral - see a Derm before the allergies get worse and you need stronger drugs - because if it is atopy, it's only going to get worse with age...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything with oatmeal makes Orbit itch - both topical and food. I have used the pyohex condition with success - great for putting on pustules to make them dry up.

Another to suggest the referral - see a Derm before the allergies get worse and you need stronger drugs - because if it is atopy, it's only going to get worse with age...

I am keen to go to Murdoch but my vet wont give me a referral...

Why not? I would be swapping vets if that happened to me :mad Hope his paws clear up very soon, poor baby :)

Why not? I would be swapping vets if that happened to me :mad Hope his paws clear up very soon, poor baby :)

Precisely. See another vet.

Edited by macka

Oh poor Mason !! This may be a stupid question do his sores actually seem to be worrying him much ? I hope not.

Could you ring Murdoch and explain your vet won't give you a referral but you'd really like to come down there ? They at least may be able to recc a vet who will (not having seen Mason).

Oh poor Mason !! This may be a stupid question do his sores actually seem to be worrying him much ? I hope not.

Could you ring Murdoch and explain your vet won't give you a referral but you'd really like to come down there ? They at least may be able to recc a vet who will (not having seen Mason).

I have emailed them this morning, will see what they say.

No his feet are not sore for him to walk on but without anti-histamines he licks them constantly which is what has made the sores in the first place.

It looks like a wet dermatitis to me, possibly exacerbated by licking. I used to have a dog who had a tendency to develop this condition in winter when conditions were wet and the area between the pads was constantly moist. It is very important to keep the dog's feet as dry as possible and applying an astringent such as mercurochrome or gentian violet helps to dry out the area. If the dog keeps licking his pads use an elizabethan collar.

It is interesting to note that some dogs seem particularly prone to this condition whereas others remain completely unaffected even though they live in the same environment and their feet get just as wet.

ETA if you are not happy with your vet find another, when you have dogs it is very important to find a vet that you trust and with whom you have a rapport.

Edited by Miranda

Looks like hot spots to me. Tricky to treat as they are in between the paw pads. One of my own dogs had that once and I usually do not like to use chemicals, I had to this time. So I washed the paws with Malaseb (you have to leave it there for 10 minutes, then rinse thorougly). I did that every 3 days only.

There are a number of other things I added. The first and important thing is to dry them out. After washing (and also walking through wet grass), always pat them dry. Do not allow your dog to lick!

Next was to wash the hot spots with either Neem tea or Chamomile tea. Once a day I washed with black tea with a dissolved aspirin in it (dries out and the tannins of the black tea are very soothing). Afterwards I applied a bit of Colloidal Silver (desinfection), then fresh Aloe Vera mixed with 1 drop of tea tree oil. Additionally she got 2 Arnica 30C tablets per day. I also did acupressure and Quantum Touch. No chicken for a while as according to Traditional Chinese Medicine chicken is considered a warming food.

Not to forget I gave her some Australian Bush Flower Essences.

I know, it is a lot of work, but hot spots can be quite nasty, especially when they are on the feet and it is worth the effort.

Dagmar

Looks like hot spots to me. Tricky to treat as they are in between the paw pads. One of my own dogs had that once and I usually do not like to use chemicals, I had to this time. So I washed the paws with Malaseb (you have to leave it there for 10 minutes, then rinse thorougly). I did that every 3 days only.

There are a number of other things I added. The first and important thing is to dry them out. After washing (and also walking through wet grass), always pat them dry. Do not allow your dog to lick!

Next was to wash the hot spots with either Neem tea or Chamomile tea. Once a day I washed with black tea with a dissolved aspirin in it (dries out and the tannins of the black tea are very soothing). Afterwards I applied a bit of Colloidal Silver (desinfection), then fresh Aloe Vera mixed with 1 drop of tea tree oil. Additionally she got 2 Arnica 30C tablets per day. I also did acupressure and Quantum Touch. No chicken for a while as according to Traditional Chinese Medicine chicken is considered a warming food.

Not to forget I gave her some Australian Bush Flower Essences.

I know, it is a lot of work, but hot spots can be quite nasty, especially when they are on the feet and it is worth the effort.

Dagmar

Thanks for the info Dagmar, I have been using colloidal silver on him...

Your pix look exactly like my Calleighs feet - she has been affected by touch allergies on her forelegs and feet since moving to Sydney 2 years ago. (Apparently in SA they didn't have grass!). I keep her just under control with antihistamines (sp?) fish oil and Sebolyse wash. (found Malaseb useless, Pyohex good, Sebolyse best - only a 5 min soak too which is a benefit in winter).

They can get so bad that she gets infections and then need a course of antibiotic to clear it up, when this happens she gets yeasty smelling as well *sigh*.

I would like her to wear sock but she won't have it! Tips anyone? I tried taping with vetwrap - maybe superglue?

Edited by Meea

Your pix look exactly like my Calleighs feet - she has been affected by touch allergies on her forelegs and feet since moving to Sydney 2 years ago. (Apparently in SA they didn't have grass!). I keep her just under control with antihistamines (sp?) fish oil and Sebolyse wash. (found Malaseb useless, Pyohex good, Sebolyse best - only a 5 min soak too which is a benefit in winter).

They can get so bad that she gets infections and then need a course of antibiotic to clear it up, when this happens she gets yeasty smelling as well *sigh*.

I would like her to wear sock but she won't have it! Tips anyone? I tried taping with vetwrap - maybe superglue?

I suspect that my boys are also touch allergies, I know when he touches certain plants his eyes swell, sometimes even when we walk into a park his eyes will swell up so it is something in the air if you ask me but no vets etc seem to take that point into account.

Murdoch will see people without a referral, I emailed them the whole story today and they are happy to help.

Murdoch will see people without a referral, I emailed them the whole story today and they are happy to help.

If you can - make an appointment to see Mandy - she calls a spade and spade - just don't have anything to drink the night before your appointment so you can keep up with everything she tells you. :welcome:

Pssst - make sure you tell her you have tried some alternative things and then tell her you know me - that will get her started :wave::laugh::laugh:

If you can - make an appointment to see Mandy - she calls a spade and spade - just don't have anything to drink the night before your appointment so you can keep up with everything she tells you. :welcome:

Pssst - make sure you tell her you have tried some alternative things and then tell her you know me - that will get her started :):laugh::laugh:

lol :wave:

Have to save my pennys now for the Murdoch consult, will probably be in June that we will go, the anit-histamines have helped loads already, he is way less itchy

Have to save my pennys now for the Murdoch consult, will probably be in June that we will go, the anit-histamines have helped loads already, he is way less itchy

Glad to hear the anti-histamines have helped and there are no long term side effects to using them. Take it from me - its best to buy them in bulk :welcome: as it works out much cheaper.

Glad to hear the anti-histamines have helped and there are no long term side effects to using them. Take it from me - its best to buy them in bulk :laugh: as it works out much cheaper.

Great to hear he's doing better with the anithist! :laugh:

Yep, buy anything you can in bulk... With two allergic dogs and one allergic human here I spend more on supplements etc. than anything else I think :welcome:

Glad to hear the anti-histamines have helped and there are no long term side effects to using them. Take it from me - its best to buy them in bulk :welcome: as it works out much cheaper.

Is it best to just get them from the chemist? She has put him on Iramine for now, and even on 1 tablet he is a bit sleepy but then that could also be the cortisone he was doing a weird licking chewing thing with his mouth and tongue and I have decided today to not give the cortisone and see if it is that, will phone her on Monday as she isnt working today and just let her know what he is doing and if it is the cortisone or the anti-histamine.

Cortisone is not the sort of medication you should stop and start willy nilly - so be careful.

With the antihistamines - the first generation ones eg Polarmine, can make the dog drousy. The second generation ones eg Zyrtec - don't. So because I compete with my dogs Mandy made sure the first one we tried was a non drousy one which lucky for us - worked.

I get my antihistamine from the chemist - buy them in either packs of 50 or 70 for approx $32. A client that uses our boarding kennels gets them from the US in large quantities. They did give me the information, but I never went down that route.