Weird Sores On Paws

Some of you may remember that I posted a pic of a sore on my dogs paw about 9 days ago, the sore went away and I thought he had just hurt himself out walking, tonight OH called me to the lounge room and said to take a look at our dogs paws, 3 of his paws have open sores on them and the back ones are red and sore between the paws, anyone seen this before? I will take him to the vet tomorrow as it looks terrible.

paw3.jpg

paw4.jpg

paw2.jpg

paw5.jpg

paw1-1.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch!

Has he been chewing/biting at them?

Poor Mason, let us know what the vet says!

I noticed after I touched them for the photos he is licking them, I heard him scratching last night but I just thought it was his allergies bothering him and gave him anti-histamine.

Banjo's had sore foot to. The Vet thinks from allergies maybe. His are healing but I'm only walking him on bitumen until they do because any dry grass or nuts/rocks etc hurts his feet but I've ordered the Ruff Wear dog boots and until then he's walked in baby socks :noidea: . I have a Vets All Natural cream which I pile on everyday and this is working well.

Banjo's had sore foot to. The Vet thinks from allergies maybe. His are healing but I'm only walking him on bitumen until they do because any dry grass or nuts/rocks etc hurts his feet but I've ordered the Ruff Wear dog boots and until then he's walked in baby socks :noidea: . I have a Vets All Natural cream which I pile on everyday and this is working well.

Grass sets off Mason's itching so it could be allergy related, they dont really smell althought my first thought was yeast infection.

I may have to look at getting a pair of boots for him too.

Looks much like my Staffords feet when they have an allergy flair.

They get itchy and inflammed, dog chews and licks, they get moist so annoy the dog more so they lick more etc. At his worst out Stafford would literally chew his pads away overnight!

Stop him licking them and the vet maybe able to give you something to dry them up a bit. I could never walk our dog in Spring/Summer due to feet like that and worse.

Looks like self trauma from licking to me... very possible if your dog has allergies.

Has he been tested so you know what he's allergic to and what is your treatment / management regime?

Pollen's, grass and most plants are the worst culprits but anything with a fragrance like detergent also make it worse ......

So you've actually been to murdoch and seen the Derms? Are you doing immunotherapy or anything else?

No we haven't - his allergies have never been this bad before, I had seen a naturopath and she has given us a couple of things to try, we tried to only feed him fish based food and no other treats etc, we did that for a couple of weeks and it never seemed to make a difference he still scratched some days ( he would be fine for like 2 or 3 days and then scratch again).

I am going to speak to my vets about sending us to Murdoch if they think his feet are allergy related, he also has itchy ears at the moment and he is prone to yeast infections so maybe its even a yeast infection on his feet, I wont know until we have been to the vet.

How old is he? Food allergies are actually far less common than atopy (air borne) and insect related allergies...

So you don't have a regular routine of bathing, antihistamines, fatty acid supps etc.?

It does sound like a trip to Murdoch is on the cards... once you know what they're reacting to you can do immunotherapy and its so much easier to keep their environment clean of their allergens!

How old is he? Food allergies are actually far less common than atopy (air borne) and insect related allergies...

So you don't have a regular routine of bathing, antihistamines, fatty acid supps etc.?

It does sound like a trip to Murdoch is on the cards... once you know what they're reacting to you can do immunotherapy and its so much easier to keep their environment clean of their allergens!

He is 13 months old.

We bath him in Malaseb once a week or once every second week ( have noticed in the past 2 weeks it seems to make little difference) and he gets 4 fish oil caps a day and grapeseed extract. He has been on homeopathic allergy pills too but I am asking the vet about normal anti-histamines from him as when he is having a bad day they dont seem to give him much relief.

I would love to have all the allergy tests done etc, just need to find out prices - we are on Petplan and his allergies only flared up after we joined so they should pay for it ??

I will be interested to hear what your vet says,because my girl gets the same and the vet was no help at all!

I tried bathing in salt water,antiseptics and antibiotics.

What does work is the enzyme wound sprays.

It seems to come after a dip in the dam water so i try to keep her out.

Would be nice for a better solution though.

He is 13 months old.

We bath him in Malaseb once a week or once every second week ( have noticed in the past 2 weeks it seems to make little difference) and he gets 4 fish oil caps a day and grapeseed extract. He has been on homeopathic allergy pills too but I am asking the vet about normal anti-histamines from him as when he is having a bad day they dont seem to give him much relief.

I would love to have all the allergy tests done etc, just need to find out prices - we are on Petplan and his allergies only flared up after we joined so they should pay for it ??

Ok, so he's still in the age bracket where allergies may be / are developing, so their symptom pattern may get worse (or develop new things) as this happens.

Yep, pet plan should cover it, or help to cover it, as you were signed up before he developed symptoms.

I will be interested to hear what your vet says,because my girl gets the same and the vet was no help at all!

Funny you should mention the dam water as my boy was swimming yesterday and sunday in river water

Did your vet say what is was? I would suspect bacterial or fungal cause if related to the dam...

Mason's Mum: An allergic dog may be more prone to picking up fungal or bacterial things from the dam / river as well, as their skin barrier function may be compromised, so getting that functioning better may help in the long run...

Edited by zayda_asher