Question To Breeders

perth_girl

One of the things I was always told by experienced breeders when i first started out - price of a pup should be at minimum whatever the average weekly wage is at the time - This is enough to really mean the people have had to think about spending that money and perhaps they will value this decision. It may also indicate that they can afford the costs involved especially in the first year with their dog. But it is not too much that makes it seem like you are out to get a profit.

Using that as a guide then you could consider a fair price for a pure bred dog as somewhere between $1200-$1500 at present.

I always thought this sounded reasonable.

Something is way off there, otherwise can you please tell me where I can get the average weekly wage of $1200-$1500 :laugh:

I have never heard the av weekly wage used as a price guide for a purebred dog, but the numbers are about right ;)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I was always told by experienced breeders when i first started out - price of a pup should be at minimum whatever the average weekly wage is at the time - This is enough to really mean the people have had to think about spending that money and perhaps they will value this decision. It may also indicate that they can afford the costs involved especially in the first year with their dog. But it is not too much that makes it seem like you are out to get a profit.

Using that as a guide then you could consider a fair price for a pure bred dog as somewhere between $1200-$1500 at present.

Something is way off there, otherwise can you please tell me where I can get the average weekly wage of $1200-$1500 :laugh:

Same here. I thought I was on an above average income but it's definitely way below those figures. I'm being ripped off!

Not sure how saving anything gets you an average income like $1500 a week.

Something is way off there, otherwise can you please tell me where I can get the average weekly wage of $1200-$1500 :(

same place you get the car, washing machine , new lounge!

save save save! lol :laugh:

No no no, you miss my point! :rofl:

Since when is the average weekly wage $1200 - $1500????

:cry:

Edited by Golden Rules

When I started researching my future breed of dog, I had a rough price in my head of what I'd be looking at. They're not an over-represented breed, so I knew they would be more expensive than some breeds. As it turns out, I overestimated the price :( by about $1500.

My first enquiries contained nothing about price. I had more important queries - like what they are like with kids and cats, what health problems were prevalent in the breed and what grooming and exercise requirements they had. That was my major concerns. I had no nasty emails at all - including one that came from a breeder here :rofl:

Just thought Id add something. My friend told me today that a pet shop in a major shopping center is selling 'purebred pugs' with no papers or pics of mum and dad for....................drum roll please.................... $1900 :)

I think I'll just give up.

No-one seems to be getting my point at all.

actually, you seem to be the one not getting the point. Why would anyone go to the trouble of researching a breed and investing a whole lot of time and emotional energy into it when they don't even know if they can afford a puppy?

Knowing what I know now, the very first thing I would ask when looking for a new dog us the price. And nothing else. Because if I am can't afford the price or am not prepared to pay thatmuch thenwhy on earth would I bother to learn about health testing or anything else specific to the breed.

And strange as it may sound, lots of people choose a purebred dog on looks. That, at least is something they can make a decision on quite quickly.

Whereas I do not.

Nearly every breed of dog is between $1000-$2000.

As I said a few pages ago. If the dog is less than $2000 then HOORAY, I get to go on that holiday I have been wanting.

If it is more than $2000 then I don't have that much extra to save.

Well, call me crazym but I actually did a lot of research before I called any Chinese Crested breeders... and SHOCK HORROR, they were in that price range :)

No no no, you miss my point! :)

Since when is the average weekly wage $1200 - $1500????

:)

Governtment Stats - 2010 - Average weekly wage is approx $62,000

Just goes to show some people must earn a hell of a lot of money......

Whereas I do not.

But you aren't everyone, and I would dare say you are not the average pet buyer. As someone else said, not everyone is a DOL member clone.

???? I paid $500 and $600 for my Australian Shepherds. Average price would be $600-$1000. Checking through the puppy listings on DOL a while back, I found Maltese puppies for $950, Tibetan Terriers for $800, Labradors for $800 and a few others for $600-1000.

As I said a few pages ago. If the dog is less than $2000 then HOORAY, I get to go on that holiday I have been wanting.

If it is more than $2000 then I don't have that much extra to save.

The vast majority of pet buyers wouldn't even dream that a dog could cost $2000, let alone more.

Well, call me crazym but I actually did a lot of research before I called any Chinese Crested breeders... and SHOCK HORROR, they were in that price range

As I already said, you aren't everyone and if you are going to breed and sell pet puppies, you might want to get a handle on the fact that some people (a lot of people) WILL want to know the price before they invest any more time in the breed.

I invested a lot of time and energy into a breed only to find the price of a pup was way beyond what I was prepared to pay, and so I changed my strategy.

How is the average pet buyer to know that, though, unless they ask? There's quite a range of prices mentioned on general information sites online and many are international or out of date - seems sensible to me, to go straight to breeder and ask!

I asked, out of curiosity, after a labrador in a petshop a year or two ago and was told $600. Paid double that for my boy earlier this year. Someone who didn't ask would have been in for quite a shock and may have pulled out of the sale after wasting the breeder's time, not knowing that they should have been prepared to outlay that amount.

What on earth is wrong with wanting to know how much you'll be paying for something? Yes, it is a living thing, but it is also a financial transaction!

Well, I guess in the future I am going to have trouble selling puppies then... that will have to be something I'll have to deal with when the time comes.

That is my choice, everyone here selects buyers differently and if you don't like the way I do it.... don't buy off me :thumbsup:

I breed labs, have a website, but don't have prices for puppies on my website. I don't breed very often. I was very interested reading through this thread as to what breeders feel are genuine enquiries and who they would dismiss!

I have no problem with people emailing me and asking what price my puppies are? Even the one liners! I figure they don't want to waste time if my puppies are out of their price range. It doesn't take me a moment to send back an email with the price and a comment such as "please get back to me if you are still interested." Some do and then we begin to get to know one another,and I can determine if I think they will provide the right home for one of my pups, some don't, it was obviously beyond their budget or they can get a puppy for less. Saying this though, I very rarely get emails only asking the price, most people put in a bit of info and ask a lot of questions.

The only stipulation I put on potential puppy buyers is I like to do most of our correspondence before we determine whether they get a pup or not over the phone or in person if possible. You can tell a lot more about a person by speaking to them.

Once I am happy, then we can email and I keep them updated with info and photos etc.

Labradors are a breed that the price can vary considerably from breeder to breeder, so I can understand people wanting to know the price straight up. I still wouldn't put the price on my website though, as it can vary (slightly) from litter to litter and even from pup to pup.

I guess a lot can be breed dependent.

I can assure you that the "quality" of enquiry that I receive for Staffords is VERY different to the enquiries that I receive for American Cocker Spaniels.

Some emails immediately get my radar pinging and I don't even bother replying to those. I'd rather them think I'm rude than have to engage in any form of conversation with them which may encourage them.

MOST emails get at least a courtesy reply but I do give preference to those who have obviously thought out their emails and haven't just sent me something that says "I want a staffy puppy how much are they?"

But I WON'T be putting prices on my website any time soon. I may consider a "ballpark figure" but I would rather not lock myself into something that even I don't know until such time as I have entered into a lengthy discussion with a prospective purchaser.

And editing to add: Even WITHOUT putting prices on my website, my entire litter of Stafford puppies (9 minus the two that I kept) were sold easily by the time they were 9 weeks old, to extremely suitable and loving forever homes and I could have probably sold another 7 as well.

Edited by ellz

Well said ellz, that's pretty much what I was trying to say!

I don't know if I just gave people the wrong impression or they just flat out don't agree with me, but in the end it all comes down to what you want to do.

ETA - I would still reply to the one liners - When I said they go in the 'junk' pile' I just meant they were pretty well out of consideration... I wouldn't be that rude that I wouldn't reply at all... I just wouldn't hold out much hope that they knew what they were asking for.

Edited by Shaar

I guess when it comes down to it, buyers and breeders need to see the other side. I can totally understand why a breeder might not want to put a singular price on their website, as their prices may vary. I understand that the breeders are going to interrogate me before considering letting me buy one of their dogs. But some breeders need to remember that buyers arent all dog enthusiasts. Some just want a purebred and know that by going to breeder that is what they will get. They dont know that by simply asking 'how much' is going to get them rejected.

Breeders, look from the other side of the glass. You want a purebred. You figure you'll do the right thing and email some breeders asking a price. None email back. Then what?

You cant treat your potential customers like they dont exsist, then throw your arms up in the air about people going to backyard breeders and pet shops.

YES, it is entirely your choice to approve them or not, but shouldnt you give everyone a chance to impress you? The buyer obviously chose you to email for a reason. How difficult is it to write an email back saying 'Our pups vary in price between $$$ and $$$$. This includes their tests blah blah blah etc etc. Contact me if you are still interested'. Like somebody said, it only takes a minute to reply to an email.

But this is all coming from a buyers prospective. I realise that the breeder doesnt NEED my business and can easily sell an entire litter in a snap of a finger to other great homes.....its just annoying to think that my home would be considered unworthy because I asked how much :dancingelephant:

I guess when it comes down to it, buyers and breeders need to see the other side. I can totally understand why a breeder might not want to put a singular price on their website, as their prices may vary. I understand that the breeders are going to interrogate me before considering letting me buy one of their dogs. But some breeders need to remember that buyers arent all dog enthusiasts. Some just want a purebred and know that by going to breeder that is what they will get. They dont know that by simply asking 'how much' is going to get them rejected.

Breeders, look from the other side of the glass. You want a purebred. You figure you'll do the right thing and email some breeders asking a price. None email back. Then what?

You cant treat your potential customers like they dont exsist, then throw your arms up in the air about people going to backyard breeders and pet shops.

YES, it is entirely your choice to approve them or not, but shouldnt you give everyone a chance to impress you? The buyer obviously chose you to email for a reason. How difficult is it to write an email back saying 'Our pups vary in price between $$$ and $$$$. This includes their tests blah blah blah etc etc. Contact me if you are still interested'. Like somebody said, it only takes a minute to reply to an email.

But this is all coming from a buyers prospective. I realise that the breeder doesnt NEED my business and can easily sell an entire litter in a snap of a finger to other great homes.....its just annoying to think that my home would be considered unworthy because I asked how much :dancingelephant:

Perth_girl - just keep trying for a pup from a breeder. I'm sure you will get what you want, just keep looking. Maybe contact the breeds club. Sometimes they have a list of breeders that they recommend (that have puppies). You can ask them for a price range to have an idea.

Perth girl I think this all goes back to the old saying "It's not what you say, it's how you say it" (boy my parents loved that one)

Asking politely, will come across much better than a blunt "how much?" email

If your after a certain breed, there are threads for most in the breed sub forum section of this website. You can pop in their chat with owners of your breed of choice, and ask them about price.

Perth girl I think this all goes back to the old saying "It's not what you say, it's how you say it" (boy my parents loved that one)

Asking politely, will come across much better than a blunt "how much?" email

Totally agree. My emails to breeders weren't blunt 'how much'. I did ask other questions and those were not answered either by them or on their website and some of the breeders who have posted in this thread have said if an email asks anything about a price they are instantly dismissed. THATS what shocked me.

Perthgirl, may I suggest, that in an email, if you really need to know the price up front, perhaps you include something along the lines of

.... "I understand that many breeders are adverse to potential puppy people inquiring about price up front, and I appreciate this. And although the price of the puppy is not the deciding factor for me, I do have a budget for the purchase price of this pup. Naturally I also plan to budget for upkeep and unforeseen circumstances also, and there is not an issue with funds for this. but I would like to know a ball park figure please, as the last thing I want to do is waste both of our time if this pup is outside my price budget. I hope you understand."

And if you popped something like this towards the end of your email rather than the begining.

I know we are all different, but I would be more than happy to respond kindly and honestly to something like this if I were advertising a litter of puppies.

Edited by dyzney

There's asking and there's asking.

If I get an email where the first question is "how much" followed by very little else, then I am certainly very guarded in my reply. You should just SEE some of the emails that I, and I have no doubt, other dog breeders receive.

On the other hand, if somebody tells me a little about themselves or the life they can offer one of my dogs and then asks what kind of price they would be looking at, I'm a lot more receptive.

I don't advertise prices on my website, or anywhere else, because price is the last thing I am concerned with. As with SBT123, a lot depends upon the individual circumstances. I've given dogs away, I've sold dogs. I have my price and it is not open to negotiation through haggling, bargaining or guilt-tripping but *I* will choose if and when to vary that price according to circumstances and the rapport that I have struck up with a person.

Yes, I'd agree with this comment. There are people who are buying a puppy purely on pricing, with no consideration to the puppy's lineage or health, or the requirements and responsibilities of owning a puppy. This may be fine for the pet shops, or puppy mills, but most registered breeders are protective of the bubs they bring into the world and will make every effort to ensure that the rest of the puppy's life is a happy, responsible and caring environment. Buying the puppy based on price doesn't lend to reassuring the breeder that her puppy's future is going to be as she is endeavouring to make it. As they will make every effort to ensure that breeding programmes are responsible, producing happy, healthy and true to type babies.

I usually give a range, but add that it really depends on the litter and the individual puppy as to the final asking price.

As to making a profit ...... yes well, my experience is that any funds that are excess from any litter more than likely go towards circumstances surrounding the next litter. Plus, there is the proper upkeep of all our dogs, regular and unexpected vet bills, etc. etc. to be taken into account. I don't think any breeder is going to end up a millionaire - not if she's responsible about her dogs she won't. Being able to provide what all our dogs need when they need it is perhaps the most one could ask.

My wife and I spent countless hours discussing breeds and preferences and doing research on the three breeds we agreed would best suit our lifestyle and home environment. We found way too much generic and recycled information on the web, with little in the way of answers for the questions that WE wanted to ask. In short, we were as educated as a novice pet owner (post-childhood) could possibly be.

Our experience when contacting breeders was discouraging and I can completely understand why some people give up at that point and purchase from pet stores. Of the eight breeders (of three different breeds) we contacted:

- Two breeders basically hung up on us when we said we enquired about a puppy but hadn't totally settled on one breed

- One breeder told us to bugger off when we confessed to not knowing some things he deemed "essential" about the breed

- One breeder refused to even tell us the price unless we drove 2.5 hours to interview with him

I understand breeders want the best for their dogs but we encountered an overwhelming sense of elitism and intolerance when we embarked on our quest - intolerance that I see on these boards every day from (some, not all) breeders.

Professionalism does not mean the same thing as breeding for profit and I wish many more breeders recognised that. Having a well-presented, informative website (including price information) does not make you a callous byb or puppy farmer. Treating all enquiries as geniune rather than just deleting the one whose "tone" you didn't like - since when do emails have tone by the way - would go a long way toward helping educate all dog owners.

Because chances are the enquiry you just ignored was from a genuine person who just didn't know the proper etiqutte. That person just became much more likely to buy from a pet store, so if that's was your aim then congrats. :rofl:

(You = any breeder, not anyone specific in this thread)