Kelpie Puppies As Prizes

Nekhbet

I had a Gallagher rep come into work today. He presented us with a massive poster of a promotion, buy a certain amount of electric fencing gear and go into the draw to win a Go Getta Kelpie puppy.

Gallagher have teamed up with Go Getta Kelpies to help improve overall management efficiency on the farm. We're giving away seven working dogs across Australia during 2010.

Here at Gallagher we saw overall management efficiency, cost effective improvements and labour efficiency, as areas that were really important to the Australian farmer.

We teamed up with Go Getta Kelpie Stud during 2010, to help farmers improve their daily running efficiency with the skill of a well bred working pup. Jo Spicer from Go Getta Kelpies has been breeding top class working dogs for the past 18 years, he understands good management on farm is essential to overall efficiency. With some of the top working dogs throughout Australia, they're bred to handle any manner of situations. Jo also offers a comprehensive training school/program which is complementary with any dog won through the Gallagher promotion.

Have a look at Go Getta Kelpie background and sires

In order to be in the running for a Go Getta Kelpie, purchase $50.00 worth of Gallagher products through your local Gallagher stockist or from a Gallagher stand at a Field Day and register your details below

Promotion Details:

Promotion runs from the 1st of April through to the 31st October 2010.

There are 7 dogs available to win.

Winners will be drawn at the Gallagher Head Office at the end of each month, starting on the 30th April and with the last draw ending on the 31st October 2010

Once a winner is drawn they will be referred to Jo Spicer for him to determine the best dog for the application e.g. yard, truck or paddock.

The dog will be delivered free of charge to the winner.

The winner will be required to sign a declaration should the dog be unsuitable for their purpose. If they have any issues regarding the dog's performance they will contact Jo Spicer directly.

Gallagher and Go Getta kelpies are not responsible for any welfare issues once the dogs have been given to promotion winners.

The winners of the kelpies will take all reasonable care in regards to the welfare of the dog, making sure it is housed and worked in a suitable manner, in line with what is deemed appropriate by the RSPCA.

So I said to the rep, do you realise the RSPCA does not condone animals as prizes at all and you will probably get a few phonecalls. "I wont be the one getting them, hah"

I hate the competition. I do not agree with it at all I'm going to speak to my boss tomorrow but still, I had palpatations that the REP had no issue at all with the comp. I see the actual promotion has tried to make it OK that they are giving away a pup but it doesnt gel well with me at all

am I just being sensitive?

am I just being sensitive?

I personally don't think you are.

There is plenty of other well needed farming equipment they could put up as prizes.

It doesn't sit well with me, either. Infact I think it is very wrong.

That is ridiculous. It is morally and ethically wrong! And on the flip side, surely there are HEAPS of other things that farmers could use even more than a new working dog....

why dont they do a giveaway instead where one of their staff spend a week on the winners farm, unpaid, doing whatever needs doing??? Surely a free labourer is going to help, although it might be hard to fit them in a kennel :(

If they're top quality working dogs, why the hell would the breeder want to just give them away to any old random person who wins a raffle? Doesn't he care where his dogs end up??

I need my job unfortunately Lyndsay :( The comp did sound poorly put together, they firstly didnt even get a license to run a competition!

I would worry about a breeder who could supply a pup a month. If they really want to promote why not win discount on a kelpie pup or simply the free training for your dog/s? Or has been mentioned more farm gear/voucher. Ahhh so hard when I'm trying to attract more pet people to the store then that poster is there, boring into the back of my conscience.

just to be devils advocate ...

working dogs aren't pets, and aren't viewed by the majority of cattle/sheep people as anything more than a commodity on the farm, no different to a good trail bike or tractor ... over many years living and working in the Longreach/Hugenden/Julia Creek area, I can attest to the fact that pups are acquired, tried, and if they work, then good, and if they don't then they're disposed of, normally by way of a bullet.

Its not a pretty reality, but that's the market that this fence person's company are most likely aimed at, and that's probably why he has no moral issue with the raffle.

if they're good working lines, then it's a prize that most people on the land would be keen to win ...

I dont necessarily agree with giving working dogs as prizes but we have to put all this in perspective a little.

We arent talking about beloved pets here, we are talking about a commodity on a farm.

The fact that a pup is bought from a working dog breeder doesnt guarantee a better home than if it was won. When someone buys a working dog, they arent questioned about amount of time they will spend with pup, or accomodation, training or anything else. The farmer says what he needs, the breeder provides. If the dogs are good they are prized, if they are no good, they are disposed of.

I dont see a problem with a breeder being able to provide a puppy a month. It would not be an 8 week old puppy. The breeder probably has lots of young dogs at several ages that he would be able to choose from to get the right one to fit for the winner. I would think you would need to have a number of dogs in your breeding program to be able to achieve what he is trying to achieve.

These dogs are very good workers and will be highly prized. They wont be useless and shot. The breeder will choose a dog exactly suited to the work required and even offers backup training.

I can only guess that he is giving these dogs as prizes so people can have exposure to them and he can possibly get further sales?

Edited by jesomil

i have to second what riff said. commercial large farms dogs are part of the workings, not realy treated better than a tractor untill proven.

a proven dog however will be treated very well. a great bitch will have a life of hard work and hard breeding to supply that next elusive perfect worker. most of her offspring will however be culled.

if a do gooder comes along then a few will be rescued or dumped at the local pound, but tis almost the same reality as the racing thoroughbred or racing standard bred. the wastage is huge.

the average farmer would love a well bred and proven dog so it will increase there sales. i am not so sure that the breeder will be donating them "free" either... working keplies cost thousands.... so me thinks some money has changed hands here.

I dont necessarily agree with giving working dogs as prizes but we have to put all this in perspective a little.

We arent talking about beloved pets here, we are talking about a commodity on a farm.

The fact that a pup is bought from a working dog breeder doesnt guarantee a better home than if it was won. When someone buys a working dog, they arent questioned about amount of time they will spend with pup, or accomodation, training or anything else. The farmer says what he needs, the breeder provides. If the dogs are good they are prized, if they are no good, they are disposed of.

I dont see a problem with a breeder being able to provide a puppy a month. It would not be an 8 week old puppy. The breeder probably has lots of young dogs at several ages that he would be able to choose from to get the right one to fit for the winner. I would think you would need to have a number of dogs in your breeding program to be able to achieve what he is trying to achieve.

These dogs are very good workers and will be highly prized. They wont be useless and shot. The breeder will choose a dog exactly suited to the work required and even offers backup training.

I can only guess that he is giving these dogs as prizes so people can have exposure to them and he can possibly get further sales?

Agreed.

people entering this competition will perhaps not be the world's best owners- however they WILL want a dog as a valued part of their farm. Good working dogs are worth heaps of money..and one which comes with assistance in the training side would be seen as very desirable. I also would think by reading the promo posted that the dogs are NOT puppies?( I didn't see the word PUPPY mentioned?) - they want something which can start to be useful ASAP... a few months old at least..

Dogs are treated differently when they are part of a working property....Most are certainly not bought on impulse because they are cute puppies..and if they do have problems severe enough to hinder work, or interaction with humans/dogs/stock- then they usually are shot, rather than pass the problems along to someone else.

Dogs which may be too hard/soft for one person, can often be 'swapped' with a neighbour... it may sound horrible- but for those of you reading this, it IS a bit different to your own pets, as these dogs are brought up to see their WORK as the source of most of their reward/excitement/releas. Humans are the leaders,and yes, they get praise and company and food.. but the dogs are not the person's life, usually.... So , A Kelpie out of puppyhood as a prize ? Hmmm.. maybe not the most acceptable thing to do , but not the worst thing.IMO .

The quantity is surprising... on perusing their website the dogs seem to be able to do their job .. perhaps business is slow, and they need to find places for unsold dogs?

Edited by persephone

Guest bigdogg

Its a target audience i suppose.

Pups have been given away on forums before as prizes. (working/hunting dog forum)

Is that completely wrong?

I see the kennel has this advert

I hope they are not registered breeders!

Breeders of quality working kelpies. Satisfaction guaranteed, exporting dogs worldwide. Home of Australian Champion Gogetta Agro and Reserve Australian Champion Gogetta Bosker.

playing the devils advo for a min....

it could be argued that farm dogs get more exercise and attention than the average dog in the burbs who's owner works 8 hours a day and spends his days in the back yard alone.

most farms dogs are out 8 hours a day even if not "working" they go with the farmer in case. my neighbours and we are in a real farming are not 5 acres lots, you rarely see them without there dog in tow. often 3 or 4 in tow.

yes there are times where they would be tied up for periods or yarded but it would be rare.

I have to agree with Riff and persephone here. These are working dogs and will not be cuddling up on the couch watching TV with their owners. They are there to do a job and are a valuable member of the farm workforce. The Land Newspaper recently gave away a Bull - the people who won it were stoked, times are tough for our rural cousins and anything that can help them in the running of their businesses is of value.

As long as the competition is run properly, and support provided for the dogs, then all should be fine.

This isn't a puppy being given away at a school fete.

I see the kennel has this advert

I hope they are not registered breeders!

Breeders of quality working kelpies. Satisfaction guaranteed, exporting dogs worldwide. Home of Australian Champion Gogetta Agro and Reserve Australian Champion Gogetta Bosker.

The titles would be be from winning things like the national yard dog trials etc nothing to do with the showring. They would be WKC registered not ANKC.

Edited by Janba