Dog Food Brands

goldee

I have bought a small packet of Supercoat puppy biscuits for my new puppy arriving in a few days, but have recently read/heard a few bad things about it. I got a small one to start with just in case and then will get a big one.

has any one had any experience with this brand?

Is it good? Is there much difference between brands?

i've also heard to avoid Pedigree.

We have a PetStock near by and theres probably at least 5 or more different brands, some quite expensive, it can make choosing difficult.

Edited by goldee

Supercoat isn't the best there is but some people like it and some people hate it.

More important is for you to feed the puppy what it has been getting - unless it's something bizarre like pasta and weetbix! - until it's settled in.

I would suggest you read the side of the packet and decide for yourself.

Remember that cereal is a filler and pretty much ends up on the back lawn. Personally I don't feed my dogs any kibble that contains gluten and Supercoat has it.

Supercoat isn't the best there is but some people like it and some people hate it.

More important is for you to feed the puppy what it has been getting - unless it's something bizarre like pasta and weetbix! - until it's settled in.

Thanks. I've gone with Supercoat because its what it was eating before at the breeders. Im not really sure of the difference between all the brands

Funny you say that, i heard the other day that some people give their dog weetbix for breakfast.

Thanks. I've gone with Supercoat because its what it was eating before at the breeders. Im not really sure of the difference between all the brands

That's fine then - gives you 10-14 days breathing space tio do some research, evaluate how the puppy goes on Supercoat, other options etc etc etc. Is the breeder a long-term experienced ethical breeder? If so, they are a great source of information and probably know as much about how to best raise your puppy as anyone on here.

The difference between cereal fillers and not is huge for some dogs, meaningless for others. Google, but don't believe every piece of hysteria you read on the internet :(

Personally I raw feed.

I used to have my girl on Supercoat and noticed that when her adult coat started coming through it was really dry, Ive since changed her diet to Royal Canin kibble (Lab Jr as you cant get stock of GR jr in Australia yet) chicken mince, egg or sardines, or she gets a whole chicken frame with a little bit of kibble

Id start her on Supercoat because that is what she is used to, but if the budget permits Id gradually change her over to a premium large breed puppy food at least while she is growing, I havnt looked back since putting her on RC

When do you get your little girl? have you picked a name yet?

ETA - since taking both my girls off SC Ive had half the backyard pickup I used to (my other dog is on Nutro, the Nutro rep didnt recommend it for the pup because she is a large breed, but its been good for my itchy JRT)

Edited by GoldenGirl85

I always use Supercoat puppy for ours , and LOVE the results :( pups grow well, poo is not in huge quantities ,or loose, and the pups are shiny coated , and satisfied. :rofl:

By all means change to a better brand ..BUT feed her on this for the first week or two- so as not to upset her tummy ... there will be all sorts of changes happening, one more is unneccesary :laugh:

when you DO find a food you want to use- then GRADUALLY decrease the supercoat, and add the new food each day until she is only eating the new food :cry:

I changed my puppy from Coprice puppy food(what the breeder has been feeding him) to Eukanuba puppy food. His coat becomes shinier and he has lesser poo. My puppy dont prefer to eat the Coprice. I still have quite a lot of Coprice left because there was only the 12kg pack. I am mixing Eukanuba with Coprice currently.

My puppy dont get a lot of dry kibbles though. His main meals comprise of 1 and a half chicken drumstick(sometimes 2 chicken wings) with 1/3 cup of Eukanuba/Coprice mix.

I had my dogs on supercoat for a while, however I did notice there coats to be not at there bests and they would just turn off of it and refuse to eat it by the end before I changed. I have tested a few brands and Jet is only 16 months so I do recommend to try it first see how you go and then change if you have problems with it. I am on Royal Canin now and am happy with it.

A few years ago, I fed Supercoat exclusively and recommended it to my puppy people. Then it seemed to change in formulation and my dogs' coats didn't look as good, they started scratching and their output was voluminous and revolting so I stopped feeding it and have never bothered to try it again.

It's basically whatever works best for your dog.

I don't personally like Supercoat because of the supercraps I used to have to pick up!!! I found they did well on Optimum and that would be teh only supermarket brand I would look at.

I've just changed over to a raw diet but to be honest I don't know enough about it yet to recommend that a pup should be on it - easier to stick to a premium dry food whilst it's growing I think!

If you want to feed a dry, look at the higher quality foods such as Royal Canin, Eagle Pack or Artemis. The cheap stuff really is cheap and nasty and you get what you pay for.

If you want a better quality food than the SC from the supermarket, then look at Optimum.

Thanks!

Yep i bought a small pack of supercoat so she's on the same brand for a bit and then have a look what else is there. I got supercoat from PetStock, and then i saw in places like Big W and Kmart were even cheaper - it sounds good, but not so if it has the puppy pooping everywhere! . They had Royal Canin and many others at PetStock. Since she's a Golden Retriever, i want her coat looking nice. Will give it a test run and see how it goes. Im going to avoid Tin dog food tho.

the other thing the breeder does feed them chicken necks. Right now, im a bit grossed out by that. Ive been told that its possible to by them in coles. Does the pup eat the whole thing? what is it exactly?!

I used to have my girl on Supercoat and noticed that when her adult coat started coming through it was really dry, Ive since changed her diet to Royal Canin kibble (Lab Jr as you cant get stock of GR jr in Australia yet) chicken mince, egg or sardines, or she gets a whole chicken frame with a little bit of kibble

Id start her on Supercoat because that is what she is used to, but if the budget permits Id gradually change her over to a premium large breed puppy food at least while she is growing, I havnt looked back since putting her on RC

When do you get your little girl? have you picked a name yet?

ETA - since taking both my girls off SC Ive had half the backyard pickup I used to (my other dog is on Nutro, the Nutro rep didnt recommend it for the pup because she is a large breed, but its been good for my itchy JRT)

Thanks! I will have to see how supercoat goes. With her long coat when she gets older i want it to be nice!!

I get her on Thursday!!! Haven't decided on a name yet, have a few in mind but waiting to see what little personality she has!

my girl has had chicken necks once...swollowed it whole in 1 second flat, so now she either gets a chicken frame or pet mince (minced chicken frames) try the chicken necks, Id get them from the butcher, that way you can specify how many you want to buy and see how she goes with them, if she actually chews them then great, but if she doesnt you might need to go with wings, drumsticks or a chicken frame (halved or quartered) so she will chew it (Im worried if my girl doesnt chew the necks they will 'go down the wrong pipe' lol, hence why she doesnt get them anymore, she doesnt even chew her kibble)

I use supercoat, no problems at all. My dogs have been on and off it for years and enjoy it and do very well on it

I have tired some of the 'better' dry foods, only to have dull coats, the dogs pooping all over the place or the dogs just not liking it at all

Chicken necks are great- but buy the bigger ones, so your pup doesn't try and swallow them whole :mad They can get stuck! You can also feed her chicken wings, and turkey wings/necks! these are terrific because the pup/dog can munch up the whole thing .. they get meat and bone and have a good time doing so!

Does the pup eat the whole thing? what is it exactly?!

A chicken neck is just that! the neck cut off a chicken body ,and minus the head ;)They are all cleaned... kinda look like bony sausages . ;)If you buy some ... store them in teh freezer, so they stay fresh. You can feed them frozen- it encourages chewing, and keeps pup busy longer :hug:

Chicken necks are great- but buy the bigger ones, so your pup doesn't try and swallow them whole :mad They can get stuck! You can also feed her chicken wings, and turkey wings/necks! these are terrific because the pup/dog can munch up the whole thing .. they get meat and bone and have a good time doing so!
Does the pup eat the whole thing? what is it exactly?!

A chicken neck is just that! the neck cut off a chicken body ,and minus the head ;)They are all cleaned... kinda look like bony sausages . ;)If you buy some ... store them in teh freezer, so they stay fresh. You can feed them frozen- it encourages chewing, and keeps pup busy longer :hug:

Ohh thanks! I'd never even heard of feeding a dog them until the breeder said they do! so they just eat it raw? all of it? bones and all?