Irish Wolfhound ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen plenty of Lab cross Poodles look like that.

Ditto. :mad

BC/poodle is another possibility.

Wow, I have googled border collie x poodle and the resemblance is astounding right down to the colour of the eyes. The only minor difference is the coat. The border collie x poodle has a plusher coat.

Here is a photo of a border collie x poodle that I have just downloaded.

post-34729-1274075332_thumb.jpg

Well, I have just googled Lab x poodles and they don't quite look like Chelsea. Seems that the lab x poodles have a slightly more profuse coat. I can't imagine a lab x poodle turning out black and white either but then I am no geneticist.

There are labs and poodles that turn out black and white so that is entirely possible. :hug:

Well, I have just googled Lab x poodles and they don't quite look like Chelsea. Seems that the lab x poodles have a slightly more profuse coat. I can't imagine a lab x poodle turning out black and white either but then I am no geneticist.

Being a groomer I see all the DD's in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Some I would have sworn were Deerhound or Wolfhound crosses and they were most certainly Lab cross Poodles. The owners were a little surprised that they grew up to look like large hairy hounds.

You can almost knock me down with a feather SBT; I was almost convinced that there had to be wolfhound in the mix. Have you actually seen lab x poodles with a sparse coat?

BC/poodle is another possibility.

Wow, I have googled border collie x poodle and the resemblance is astounding right down to the colour of the eyes. The only minor difference is the coat. The border collie x poodle has a plusher coat.

Here is a photo of a border collie x poodle that I have just downloaded.

Remember because it is a cross breed, the offspring are not uniform like pure bred dogs. It's quite possible to have a huge variety of different looks in one litter of cross breeds.

Thats the fun with X breeds.

You can have the same cross many times over and each dog could have a different coat colour, length, texture, they could be tall, others short.

Edited by Wolfsong

There are labs and poodles that turn out black and white so that is entirely possible. :hug:

I am in shock nevertheless as I really believed over the last 12 mths that she was wolfhound or wolfhound crossed with something only to discover that I couldn't have been more wrong. Having said that though, I still love that girl to pieces and nothing will change that. She has a temperament to die for.

Edited by GardenofEden

I am in shock nevertheless as I really believed over the last 12 mths that she was wolfhound or wolfhound crossed with something only to discover that I couldn't have been more wrong.

Wire coats are a very common (and not often advertised) result of crossing another breed with a poodle.

well I'm going against the trend :hug:

I think she looks like a lot of the staghound dogs that end up in my local pound. In many parts of rural NSW staghounds are bred like they are going our of fashion and heaps of them end up in pounds. They do tend to have very nice temperaments. Staghounds originated from deerhound and greyhounds stock but the people who breed them often put other breeds in there as well so you do get quite a bit of variation in size (although most are quite large) and look. Some have a finer coat and some have a scruffy coat - but I've never seen one with a thick plush coat.

But I do agree she's not irish woldhound. They are seriously HUGE :hug:

check out this:

wolfhound blog and scroll down to the fourth photo :mad

http://www.laa.org.au/ala-lab/coats.html lab x poodle coat 1st cross pic down bottom says they will be hairy

Thank you for the link LM4. I didnt know that lab x poodles turn out in either fleece, wool or hair. I suppose it all depends on whether a purebred lab is crossed with a purebred poodle or whether it is a case of multi generation breeding. I can't quite tell what the 'hair' version looks like, wonder if that is similar to Chelsea...although I would hasten to add that Chelsea appears to have a wiry coat. Need a new set of glasses here. Is the 'hair' version the same as the 'wire' hair ?

well I'm going against the trend :hug:

I think she looks like a lot of the staghound dogs that end up in my local pound. In many parts of rural NSW staghounds are bred like they are going our of fashion and heaps of them end up in pounds. They do tend to have very nice temperaments. Staghounds originated from deerhound and greyhounds stock but the people who breed them often put other breeds in there as well so you do get quite a bit of variation in size (although most are quite large) and look. Some have a finer coat and some have a scruffy coat - but I've never seen one with a thick plush coat.

But I do agree she's not irish woldhound. They are seriously HUGE :hug:

check out this:

wolfhound blog and scroll down to the fourth photo :mad

Just had a look at the 4th photo - bloody hell, that is one seriously gigantic dog; well, that proves it - Chelsea is no wolfhound. Thanks raineth. :)

Ditto. :eek:

My lab x poodle boy

RIMG0015_00.jpg

2008_01220213.jpg

He has a very sparse very shaggy coat!

He is a rescue thou so no idea if he really is a lab x poodle. From what I know of his history he was taken out of a puppy farm at 6 weeks that was closed down, then he was at the pound, then he went to a foster carer who ended up being very dodgey apparently and my boy didnt come out of a tiny kennel (cell) till he was around 12months when he was rescued by a REAL rescuer and came to us not long after that. He was a very broken dog still is really but I love him...well most the time!

Firstly, I agree with Ellie, whatever she is breedwise, she's just beautiful. Sizewise she's probably some variation of lurcher. This would explain the sighthound temperament and those perfect eyes.

I've added a snap of an adult IW. Chelsea is a bit dainty to be one.

BTW, it's a 5' fence he's leaning on.

edited cos I can spell for sh*t - see what I mean?

post-30656-1274096359_thumb.jpg

Edited by IW4ME