Puppies Registration Papers

Mas1981

A friend of mine got a staffy puppy who is now 16 weeks old, he has tried to contact the breeder numerous times but the number is disconnected. Who/what organization can he contact about getting his pups papers??

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing to do would be to contact Dogs WA and make sure the breeders are infact registered breeders. If they are that is a good start, however if you have no phone number or any contact details it may be difficult, even if they are rego'd breeders.

The litter also needs to have been registered before he can get the papers as well.

I would phone first as their is no point going to the house and potentially getting into a sticky situation if they cannot be registered.

If he does go to the house make sure he takes a friend.

But didn't the OP say the phone numner was disconnected?

I would phone first as their is no point going to the house and potentially getting into a sticky situation if they cannot be registered.

If he does go to the house make sure he takes a friend.

But didn't the OP say the phone numner was disconnected?

I think Rommi & Lewis meant phone Dogswest??

Yes sorry, I meant phone Dogs west first to see if the Breeder is infact registered and to see if the litter has been or is able to be registered before going to someones house. If the "breeder" percieves they are being hassled and are not legite and trying to cash in on the rego'd bit, it could get a bit sticky.

Have you heard how he is going as yet?

Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff) puppy? People often say Staffy and mean either, If pup is AmStaff then drop me a PM....

I have no idea of what he is.... he just said staffy to me.

I have always got the papers when collecting the puppy. There is plenty of time to register the litter between birth and 8 weeks so that the papers are ready to go with the puppy which is part of the deal. Personally, I wouldn't pay for the puppy unless the papers came with it............they could sell you anything or perhaps never receive your papers at all:mad

There can be very good reasons why pups are not registered by 8 weeks, and I wouldn't disregard a breeder because they don't have the papers ready to go for you at 8wks.

Not all pups are main registered and the breeder may well have not made the decisions as to the quality of each pup by then.

It is quite legitimate to wait till all pups are sold and then have them registered straight into the new owners name, so papers may not be ready at time of pick up.

A phone call to the registering body is all that is need to check.

I have always got the papers when collecting the puppy. There is plenty of time to register the litter between birth and 8 weeks so that the papers are ready to go with the puppy which is part of the deal. Personally, I wouldn't pay for the puppy unless the papers came with it............they could sell you anything or perhaps never receive your papers at all:mad

Mine are rarely registered by 8 weeks of age, the reason being that we are still often deciding on the one's that we are going to keep and that can be as long as 9 or ten weeks. Once we've made our minds up, the pups are registered appropriately on the main for the keeps and the limit for the pets.

Puppy buyers are then provided with their papers, as soon as they are returned from the Canin Council and that can take anywhere from ten days to a months, depedning on their work load.

Mine are not registered by 8 weeks of age as I wait till they have been vaccinated and microchipped so that the microchip number can go on the papers. It also depends on the time of year as to how busy the CC is as to how quick the papers come back.

Don't forget that in the majority of states the papers need to be put in, they are then sent back to the breeder so that the breeder can transfer them over to the new owners, they are then sent back in for transferring and then sent to the new owners. This can take anywhere froma 3-8 weeks.

He need to contact Dogswest, find out about the breeder and go from there.

Leanne

Edited by Ozstar Kennels

Mine are rarely registered by 8 weeks of age, the reason being that we are still often deciding on the one's that we are going to keep and that can be as long as 9 or ten weeks. Once we've made our minds up, the pups are registered appropriately on the main for the keeps and the limit for the pets.

Puppy buyers are then provided with their papers, as soon as they are returned from the Canin Council and that can take anywhere from ten days to a months, depedning on their work load.

Looking at it from a consumer angle which ultimately buying a puppy is a business transaction, breeders have the opportunity to pull a stunt in the same fashion as any other business when some of the supply is missing. If it's considered fair for the breeder to be unable to supply papers on collection, it's fair for the purchaser to withhold money from the deal until the papers are supplied IMHO :o

Mine are not registered by 8 weeks of age as I wait till they have been vaccinated and microchipped so that the microchip number can go on the papers. It also depends on the time of year as to how busy the CC is as to how quick the papers come back.

Don't forget that in the majority of states the papers need to be put in, they are then sent back to the breeder so that the breeder can transfer them over to the new owners, they are then sent back in for transferring and then sent to the new owners. This can take anywhere froma 3-8 weeks.

He need to contact Dogswest, find out about the breeder and go from there.

Leanne

The papers for my recent puppy which I got on collection were in the breeders name with the transfer signed over to me on the day. I then did the transfer, but at least I had the papers to transfer into my name, I guess similar to buying a car with the rego papers :o

I've never had a problem with either a buyer wanting the papers at the time of sale or supplying them at a later date. My contract states that papers will be provided upon registration of the litter, my receipt states the same thing, on the receipt is the dogs chip number, colour, sex and DOB.

Details are provided of the parents rego and chip number ( pedigree ) and copies of their relevant health testing.

Never had a problem and have never had a buyer walk away. There's every chance my next litter won't have papers until they are a good 10-12 weeks old, yet there are buyers ready and waiting for those pups too. :o

I've never had a problem with either a buyer wanting the papers at the time of sale or supplying them at a later date. My contract states that papers will be provided upon registration of the litter, my receipt states the same thing, on the receipt is the dogs chip number, colour, sex and DOB.

Details are provided of the parents rego and chip number ( pedigree ) and copies of their relevant health testing.

Never had a problem and have never had a buyer walk away. There's every chance my next litter won't have papers until they are a good 10-12 weeks old, yet there are buyers ready and waiting for those pups too. :o

Same here.never had an issue or query either.

Black Bronson how many litters have you breed,how many pups have you evaluated between the above ages,at birth which pups would you put on mains/limited??

In breeds that arent born with the colour what colour would you list on the papers at this early age??

Are you able to tell which ones have faults ,bad mouths,poor movement??

Please inform us

Looking at it from a consumer angle which ultimately buying a puppy is a business transaction, breeders have the opportunity to pull a stunt in the same fashion as any other business when some of the supply is missing

And like any other seller, they can be sued if they do not deliver what has been contractually agreed upon.

Like others, my litters haven't been registered at 8 weeks but the contract clearly states that papers will be provided. No need for a buyer to feel worried with a contract and I've not had anyone even mention it. In fact, I've had a few who complain about how much paperwork there is - worse than buying a house apparently. :o

In addition, Qld allows breeders to register directly into the new owners name (rather than registering to breeder and then transferring to new owner, incurring two fees). And so often the litter won't be registered until the final puppy is sold and this can hold up the papers.

Edited by molasseslass