Puppies Registration Papers

Mas1981

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The papers for my recent puppy which I got on collection were in the breeders name with the transfer signed over to me on the day. I then did the transfer, but at least I had the papers to transfer into my name, I guess similar to buying a car with the rego papers

Ummm sorry but that is against the rules of ANKC. The breeder must transfer the papers.

The breeder you got your dog from just saved themselves some money by having you pay for it and if they did this with every pup (especially in large litters) they are getting away with a small fortune.

There is also no way to know for sure that the new owners have done the transfer, which if not the dog is still technically in the breeders name and can be blamed if anything happens.

I give a copy of the pedigree in the pups folder and the original pedigree is sent out to them in a few weeks.

Have never had a problem doing it this way and have never had buyers question me.

Have been doing it this way for 16 years.

Leanne

Ozstar, in Victoria, the initial puppy registration must be in the breeders name. The transfer of the reg papers is up to the new owners.

Thanks for clarifying that Zed-N-Q :D

I was getting worried after reading Oztars post that I might be breaking the rules.

When I bought my puppies, I received the papers with the back bit of it signed by my breeder for the transfer, it was up to me to first of all become a member of Dogs Vic & then pay the transfer fees.I have every intention of doing the same thing for my puppy buyers, so its good to know that I am doing the correct thing for Victoria & not breaking the rules. :laugh:

I sent in my litter registration form to Dogs Vic last week, so I hope to get them back in time to give to the puppy buyers on the day of collection. :D

Baileys Mum,

Here are the Victorian Rules Regarding Litter Registration :eek:

4.1.3.4 A member shall not be entitled to effect the initial registration of a dog unless that person is the

breeder of such dog and is the registered owner of a Prefix and is a resident of the State.

4.4.1 An application for the transfer of ownership of a registered dog shall be made on the reverse of the

Certificate of the dog’s Registration. For dogs sold within Australia, the new owner is responsible for

the lodgement of the application for transfer of registration

Meg - refresh my memory - does our breed standard have any disqualifying faults in it? I know there are matters considered to be a fault (extent of departure and how it impacts on health and wellbeing dictates how serious the fault is).

I think BB meant an unaccepted feature, rather than disqualifying fault, eg in our breed, merlequins etc should all be put in limited....

(but I do completely disagree with this idea, as previously discussed in the other thread)

Edited by stormie

The papers for my recent puppy which I got on collection were in the breeders name with the transfer signed over to me on the day. I then did the transfer, but at least I had the papers to transfer into my name, I guess similar to buying a car with the rego papers

Ummm sorry but that is against the rules of ANKC. The breeder must transfer the papers.

The breeder you got your dog from just saved themselves some money by having you pay for it and if they did this with every pup (especially in large litters) they are getting away with a small fortune.

There is also no way to know for sure that the new owners have done the transfer, which if not the dog is still technically in the breeders name and can be blamed if anything happens.

I give a copy of the pedigree in the pups folder and the original pedigree is sent out to them in a few weeks.

Have never had a problem doing it this way and have never had buyers question me.

Leanne

Hey Leanne, I never knew that, have you got a reference or link handy you can post in here. I have always received my papers with the breeders signatures on the back in the mail for me to sign and send to Dogs NSW and had to pay for my own transfers of nearly $50 I think per dog....

Yep and we know the kind of breeders they are... the one's who whack everything on the main register , regarldess of them not being of show potential.

Not really the kind of breeder I aspire to be like.

No names need to be mentioned - "no breeders restrictions", at least the advert has changed from only dogs with major faults should be placed on limited register.... :laugh:

umm yes i am interested in this too. After the hell I went through to get my papers, it was sent to me with the breeders signature on the back and it has been left upto me to send it in :D

Do you live in Victoria? If so then it is up to you to transfer the papers in your own name and pay the fee, not the breeder. It is the breeders initial responsability to register the litter of course.

Yes I live in Victoria but the breeder lives in Queensland, the papers were posted to me from the breeder.

Meg - refresh my memory - does our breed standard have any disqualifying faults in it? I know there are matters considered to be a fault (extent of departure and how it impacts on health and wellbeing dictates how serious the fault is).

:D

Had to dig it up, could only find the Yank one. All to do with colour except for docked tails and split noses.

Well I register all my puppy's on the limited register. Sometimes if I know there is a least one pup that I am going to keep I will register that on the Main. Like my last litter I knew of the five black girls I would be keeping 1 so she went on the Main. I have also on at least one occasion kept a pup after I sent the paper work in. No hassle just transfered him between register. No big deal.

That does not make me a bad breeder.

However, having just taken over the role of Secretary of our Club I find it amazing the number of phone calls I have had from people who have bought pups not knowing that they are entitled to papers, that all pups have to be registered if bought from a registered breeder and there are Main and Limited papers. I am stunned that people will buy a pup andnot know the breeders full name, address, Kennel prefix and registraion number.

Leanne

Ozstar, in Victoria, the initial puppy registration must be in the breeders name. The transfer of the reg papers is up to the new owners.

Thanks for clarifying that Zed-N-Q :D

I was getting worried after reading Oztars post that I might be breaking the rules.

When I bought my puppies, I received the papers with the back bit of it signed by my breeder for the transfer, it was up to me to first of all become a member of Dogs Vic & then pay the transfer fees.I have every intention of doing the same thing for my puppy buyers, so its good to know that I am doing the correct thing for Victoria & not breaking the rules. :laugh:

I sent in my litter registration form to Dogs Vic last week, so I hope to get them back in time to give to the puppy buyers on the day of collection. :D

Baileys Mum,

Here are the Victorian Rules Regarding Litter Registration :eek:

4.1.3.4 A member shall not be entitled to effect the initial registration of a dog unless that person is the

breeder of such dog and is the registered owner of a Prefix and is a resident of the State.

4.4.1 An application for the transfer of ownership of a registered dog shall be made on the reverse of the

Certificate of the dog’s Registration. For dogs sold within Australia, the new owner is responsible for

the lodgement of the application for transfer of registration

Thanks for that, I do remember reading the rules on the back of the litter registration form, but after reading Ozstar's post I thougt I must of misunderstood them, so thanks for clarifying it all for me. :D

It's a little confusing when the rules are different for some states.

Leanne

Hey Leanne, I never knew that, have you got a reference or link handy you can post in here. I have always received my papers with the breeders signatures on the back in the mail for me to sign and send to Dogs NSW and had to pay for my own transfers of nearly $50 I think per dog....

Yep and we know the kind of breeders they are... the one's who whack everything on the main register , regarldess of them not being of show potential.

No names need to be mentioned - "no breeders restrictions", at least the advert has changed from only dogs with major faults should be placed on limited register.... :laugh:

umm yes i am interested in this too. After the hell I went through to get my papers, it was sent to me with the breeders signature on the back and it has been left upto me to send it in :D

Do you live in Victoria? If so then it is up to you to transfer the papers in your own name and pay the fee, not the breeder. It is the breeders initial responsability to register the litter of course.

Yes I live in Victoria but the breeder lives in Queensland, the papers were posted to me from the breeder.

Ah I see. From QLD, the breeder should have sent them in to the CCCQ and the CCCQ send them to you.

Leanne

Ah I see. From QLD, the breeder should have sent them in to the CCCQ and the CCCQ send them to you.

hmm so what should I do in this instance? Can I just send them in myself? I do not think its fair that I should fork out more money considering I have already been ripped off but its been such a bad situation that I really do not have the energy to get into another mess :D

Unless a puppy has obvious disqualifying faults that deem them ineligible to be shown, they are all show quality in reality.

Oh dear! :D :laugh: :D

Type....delete......type......delete.......

But on the other subject, puppies are registered into the name of the breeder first in Tasmania as well. The breeder then signs them and gives/forwards to the purchaser for re-registration in whichever State that they reside in.

Why on earth should I go to the hassle of registering the ENTIRE litter on Limited Registration, then have to write letters and actually apply to have my OWN puppies upgraded to Main Registration at a later date when I can simply hold off on registering the puppies until I decide and then register them all at the one time on whichever register I deem them to be?

Besides, under the rules of the ANKC, a breeder has up to 18 months in which to initially register a litter anyway so a breeder is NOT breaking any rules by not handing over registration papers at the time of sale. The ruling is, I believe, that the registration papers should be handed over within 14 days of registration OR sale whichever is first.

I am stunned that people will buy a pup andnot know the breeders full name, address, Kennel prefix and registraion number.

This has happened for years.In many of the cases the people we now have been given paperwork but the people didnt see the need to place it in the dog file & turfed the info,

We groom a dog & the people had an issue & they wanted to now if we would buy it back.That isnt an issue its stated in our paperwork the problem being this wasnt one of our pups.

After standing there going back & forth & getting no where they where adamant we breed it ,we new we hadnt .

They returned to the next grooming appointment & finally realized we didnt breed there dog .The scary part is these people have used our name when bitching to others because they couldnt get there facts right & the dog was only 9 months old.

We new the breeder & also now the said breeder hands out a info package with all the details,contact # etc etc for there new owners to have on hand yet they didnt bother to refer .

Many have no idea which is scary & near impossible to help people when they have such little detail such as there name & prefix .

We have played the guessing game with people for many years about where the dog has come from & often it isnt a registered breeder but a well known BYB .

Unless a puppy has obvious disqualifying faults that deem them ineligible to be shown, they are all show quality in reality.

:D :laugh:

Are you saying that show quality means the potential to win a show :D It's not about the potential to win, any main registered pure breed is eligible for show entry in most situations and the judging determines the better examples of the breed.

Copied from the website

Transfers and Leases

20. (a) When the ownership of a registered dog has been changed, or a lease arranged, the transferor or lessor as the case maybe shall lodge an application to register the transfer or lease accompanied by the prescribed fee with the Executive Officer within fourteen days of such disposition.

(b) The pedigree must not be given to the new owner until it has been transferred in accordance with these Rules.

© The application for registration of a transfer or lease of a dog shall be signed by the transferor or lessor as the case maybe.

(d) Any special conditions relating to the transfer or lease of a registered dog shall be set out on a Statutory Declaration and shall be signed by all parties involved in the agreement

About 7 years ago I sold a Basset to a family in Qld, she was on limited rego and sold as a pet, I just signed the back of the papers for them to put in their own name. A couple years later I get a phone call from the Qld CC blasting me for mating my limited rego bitch. The family decided they wanted a litter from their pet, took her to breeder (one of the biggest breeders in Qld) who mated her without looking at the papers. After many phone calls and a hell of a lot of stress I was lucky to not end up with afine or worse. It pays for breeders to do the transfer themselves.

Leanne

:D :laugh:

Are you saying that show quality means the potential to win a show :D It's not about the potential to win, any main registered pure breed is eligible for show entry in most situations and the judging determines the better examples of the breed.

BB - in our breed (Danes) there are no disqualifying faults. There are, however, unaccepted colours, which I think is what you were getting at.

:laugh: :D

:D :eek:

I got my pups papers the day we collected him, he is on the limited register. If a breeder wants to they can then upgrade the dog to the main register.

Exactly :D Papers are better in the hand than chasing a breeder who's phone is disconnected :laugh:

Rather than all the giggly emoticons, why doesn't someone give an educated response to BBs posts...

Because we have in this topic but BB has chosen to know more just like the GSD & small dog thread .

You cant educate those who dont want to listen .