Moving To Adelaide.

luffy4688

Didn't want to hijack Crazycresties thread, so where I go. Hi, we're moving to Adelaide in about 3-4 weeks time and would like some recommendations on where to buy or dog food, parks etc. We would be staying in the Southern suburbs, Hyde Park to be exact. We have a car so if the place is a bit of a drive it's still ok.

1. Parks nearby to walk our dog.

2. Non animal selling pet supply store to get our kibble/toys etc etc.(preferably somewhere with Artemis)

3. Where to buy fresh raw meat/bones.

4. A boarding kennel as we might need to put him there for a couple of days as we move and shop around for furniture.

5. A doggy daycare as we intend to send him to a doggy daycare 1-2 times a week.

6. A good vet.

Thanks.

Hyde Park is a nice place to live, central & many good facilities for everything you may need.

Casowners shop is a short drive from there on Magill Rd, the monthly DOL meets are at a dog park not far from you & surrounding areas have dog parks, google them.

There is also a thread on here somewhere this year about a doggy day care in or near the city, King William Road.

Others will advise about the vet, not my area.

Hi, I'm close to Hyde Park :thumbsup:

I often go to Petstock in Melrose Park. Not too far to drive (on south Rd). They don't sell puppies/kittens. Not sure if they sell Artemis because I have never looked for it.

I love my vets. Also close to Hyde Park. Hawthorn Vet Clinic on Old Belair Rd at Hawthorn (probably 5 minute drive from Hyde Park)

Very close to Hyde Park is the "Orphanage" on Goodwood Rd. lots of people takes their doggies to the park there.

Hyde Park is a great place to live, lucky you! I don't think there is anywhere in SA currently that stocks Artemis so you'll probably have to buy it online and have it sent over from Melbs. As for somewhere to buy meaty bones etc. there will probably be some butchers around your area which would sell you some otherwise there is a small shop on Glynburn Road (near Tranmere, about 20 mins away from you) called Canine and Cat Caterers which are fantastic!

As for doggy daycare here is a link doggy daycare which is close to the city in Kent Town.

Hope this helps and welcome to Adelaide :D

Hyde Park is a great place to live, lucky you! I don't think there is anywhere in SA currently that stocks Artemis so you'll probably have to buy it online and have it sent over from Melbs. As for somewhere to buy meaty bones etc. there will probably be some butchers around your area which would sell you some otherwise there is a small shop on Glynburn Road (near Tranmere, about 20 mins away from you) called Canine and Cat Caterers which are fantastic!

As for doggy daycare here is a link doggy daycare which is close to the city in Kent Town.

Hope this helps and welcome to Adelaide :D

Has anyone tried out Dog City? :p

kiesha09 - GoldiesRGreat another DOL member who runs a grooming salon (the Spoilt Dog) has started stocking Artemis and she isn't to far away from Hyde Park. She is on Fullarton Road. Either that or I order through Pookinuk but will probably get it from Goldies next time I run out.

SchnauzerBoy takes there two mini schnazuers to Dog City and has said they have a good time. Holdfast Bay Dog training at Brighton also run a doggie daycare.

I tend to get most of my raw meat from the local supermarkets. The coles at Burnside always seems to have a huge range of quality looking meaty bones.

Edited by ness

For fresh meat we always get great service from Pets Pantry on Diagonal Road (near Marion Shopping Centre).

It looks dodgy but is very affordable and the man who runs it is lovely.

Welcome to Adelaide!! :p

We buy our fresh meat loaf from Pet's Pantry too! The pups love it! Corner Diagonal Rd and Ormonde St. Your right PH the shop does look a little dodgy but the home-made meat loaf is great :D

Our dogs Aubrey and Thomas (I'm Schnauzer Boy's OH) go to Dog City Daycare once a week on Tuesday's - they love it! The staff there are fantastic and the dogs have a wonderful time. There is a viewing area where you can pop in a take a look if you want to check it out.

We buy our dry food from Pet Stock on Main North Rd at Prospect - they don't sell pups or kittens.

Hyde Park is a lovely area - I think you'll like it there.

The DOL meets are on Main Street Glen Osmond so not far from you - it's a nice little off-lead fully fenced park.

Edited by Aubrey

Looks like I found somewhere to send Bailey to daycare and where to get raw from. :thumbsup: Thanks everyone!

Could anyone recommend a good boarding kennel and a good vet(besides the 1s mentioned)?

Thank you.

I'm not sure about Boarding Kennels but we are happy with our Vet.

The Parade Norwood, Veterinary Clinic

27 The Parade (Cnr Eastry St), Norwood, SA 5067

p: (08) 83635323

Norwood is not too far from Hyde Park :thumbsup:

Looks like I found somewhere to send Bailey to daycare and where to get raw from. :thumbsup: Thanks everyone!

Oh, if you're looking for raw food and maybe even a whole shop dedicated to preservative-free pet food .... well :laugh: ... check my siggy :mad

Here's the thread on the Adelaide DOL meets - first Sunday of the month as well as the odd bbq inbetween http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=173384

Lovely bunch of people too :D

Hyde Park is an inner southern suburb, Aldinga is a Southern Suburb, sigh.

I live a couple of suburbs further south.

Dog exercise areas - note these aren't fully fenced - I don't like those.

So I walk my dog at Victoria Park (ex Racecourse), East Terrace Adelaide

and Unley Oval (Cambridge Tce, Malvern), can't use when sport is on

and the beaches eg West Beach

and sometimes Bailey Oval, Cumberland Park - few dogs there, can't use when sport is on.

and Goodwood oval, Fairfax St, Forestville,

There is also Heywood Park, on Northgate street - though Northgate street is busy where King William Road goes through to Victoria Tce, so I wouldn't walk my dog there. Not sure if it is dog off lead allowed anyway.

Shopping, for Hyde Park - I'd use Unley shops, I like the fruit and veg and the woolies there. There is also the Central Markets, which has a Coles supermarket. But you will find an excellent range of human food, fruit, meat etc, at Central Markets, I've been recommended to park in the Bus station car park (Franklin Street) cos it's cheaper and there is more room for big cars and there is more likely to be a car park. Market is Tues, Thurs, Friday and Saturday.

There are other markets, like Sunday morning on Leader Street, Wayville. I don't go there much, prices are high and there can be big crowds, pays to be very early, but the food quality is excellent.

For the best supermarket meat prices, you can't beat the Foodland supermarkets. Their meat (for humans) is usually half the price of the coles/woolies combo. But I've been meaning to check out the butcher on Springbank road near the pedestrian crossing - because he's been recommended as having grass fed (free range) beef which I prefer to grain fed (battery farm) beef.

I also like the rural pet supplies on South Road, OHalloran Hill - it's a long way from Hyde Park though. They've got stuff like roo jerky per kilo cheap. But I get great deals from Mitcham Pet supplies, though they don't do Artemis - must check out Fullarton road.

Vets - I like Pin Needham, Glenside Vets, Greenhill road near L'Estrange Street, Glenside and I like Colonel Light Gardens Vets on Springbank Road CLG, and there is an Animal Emergency Centre near the corner of South Road and Anzac Highway - the North West side I think number 119.

http://www.vetonwheels.com.au/emergency.htm - has links

The pet library for the Magill Road one is excellent, but I have no idea if either that or vet on wheels is any good.

Pin does emergency too. And has a small boarding area for regular customers and a doggy swimming pool and hydrotherapy set up. And he's president of SAODC - my favourite dog club which meets in South Parklands.

I know zero about doggy day care. Sorry.

I'm considering using The Dog House kennels at Hahndorf, or Top Spot at Mylor in not fire season or there's a boarding kennel near Aldinga but I'd allow at least an hour to get there from Hyde Park. I haven't actually checked any of them out yet.

Hyde Park is an inner southern suburb, Aldinga is a Southern Suburb, sigh.

I live a couple of suburbs further south.

Dog exercise areas - note these aren't fully fenced - I don't like those.

So I walk my dog at Victoria Park (ex Racecourse), East Terrace Adelaide

and Unley Oval (Cambridge Tce, Malvern), can't use when sport is on

and the beaches eg West Beach

and sometimes Bailey Oval, Cumberland Park - few dogs there, can't use when sport is on.

and Goodwood oval, Fairfax St, Forestville,

There is also Heywood Park, on Northgate street - though Northgate street is busy where King William Road goes through to Victoria Tce, so I wouldn't walk my dog there. Not sure if it is dog off lead allowed anyway.

Shopping, for Hyde Park - I'd use Unley shops, I like the fruit and veg and the woolies there. There is also the Central Markets, which has a Coles supermarket. But you will find an excellent range of human food, fruit, meat etc, at Central Markets, I've been recommended to park in the Bus station car park (Franklin Street) cos it's cheaper and there is more room for big cars and there is more likely to be a car park. Market is Tues, Thurs, Friday and Saturday.

There are other markets, like Sunday morning on Leader Street, Wayville. I don't go there much, prices are high and there can be big crowds, pays to be very early, but the food quality is excellent.

For the best supermarket meat prices, you can't beat the Foodland supermarkets. Their meat (for humans) is usually half the price of the coles/woolies combo. But I've been meaning to check out the butcher on Springbank road near the pedestrian crossing - because he's been recommended as having grass fed (free range) beef which I prefer to grain fed (battery farm) beef.

I also like the rural pet supplies on South Road, OHalloran Hill - it's a long way from Hyde Park though. They've got stuff like roo jerky per kilo cheap. But I get great deals from Mitcham Pet supplies, though they don't do Artemis - must check out Fullarton road.

Vets - I like Pin Needham, Glenside Vets, Greenhill road near L'Estrange Street, Glenside and I like Colonel Light Gardens Vets on Springbank Road CLG, and there is an Animal Emergency Centre near the corner of South Road and Anzac Highway - the North West side I think number 119.

http://www.vetonwheels.com.au/emergency.htm - has links

The pet library for the Magill Road one is excellent, but I have no idea if either that or vet on wheels is any good.

Pin does emergency too. And has a small boarding area for regular customers and a doggy swimming pool and hydrotherapy set up. And he's president of SAODC - my favourite dog club which meets in South Parklands.

I know zero about doggy day care. Sorry.

I'm considering using The Dog House kennels at Hahndorf, or Top Spot at Mylor in not fire season or there's a boarding kennel near Aldinga but I'd allow at least an hour to get there from Hyde Park. I haven't actually checked any of them out yet.

Thanks for taking the time out to post that Rusty Bucket! :laugh:

Didn't want to hijack Crazycresties thread, so where I go. Hi, we're moving to Adelaide in about 3-4 weeks time and would like some recommendations on where to buy or dog food, parks etc. We would be staying in the Southern suburbs, Hyde Park to be exact. We have a car so if the place is a bit of a drive it's still ok.

1. Parks nearby to walk our dog.

2. Non animal selling pet supply store to get our kibble/toys etc etc.(preferably somewhere with Artemis)

3. Where to buy fresh raw meat/bones.

4. A boarding kennel as we might need to put him there for a couple of days as we move and shop around for furniture.

5. A doggy daycare as we intend to send him to a doggy daycare 1-2 times a week.

6. A good vet.

Thanks.

Hyde Park is a nice place to live, central & many good facilities for everything you may need.

Casowners shop is a short drive from there on Magill Rd, the monthly DOL meets are at a dog park not far from you & surrounding areas have dog parks, google them.

There is also a thread on here somewhere this year about a doggy day care in or near the city, King William Road.

Others will advise about the vet, not my area.

OP is after a shop that doesn't sell animals though

Sorry abit off topic here - but Mrs Rusty Bucket could you please tell me what you know about The Dog House kennels? I have searched for a website but can't find one and Im looking for a kennel over Christmas this year.