What Made You Choose Your Breed?

haylz27

I didn't choose mine. She was thrust upon me. I doubt I would have given a Mimi Foxie a second thought, as I was a big dog person. However, circumstances found this little lady without a home and so she came here. She is the most amazing little dog and although she is seven, it seems she has lived here all her life.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a pro groomer. I LOVE grooming. I never used to like poodles much (silly fru-fru dogs!), but after falling in love with grooming I LOVE them. They're SMART, and as happy to be mucky gross happy bouncy dogs as any labrador or terrier! lol. The SPUNK and happiness with life is just so much joy to have around. And I get to groom and dye her *however* I like when I'm bored with all the boring pet trims everyone wants me to do in the shop!!!

IMG_2306.jpg

I have always loved GSD's...the way they look, think, act, everything - my youngest nut case isn't the perfect poppet but my older boy makes up for that :) However as he's so perfect i'll probably get out of GSD's after they pass as i think i'll always compare against them (unless i go a Sable!).

I will still always love GSD's tho i'll be getting into Bernese Mountain Dogs nex...and to keep the GSD side in a little i might look at fostering for work :rofl:

Edited by KitKat

I had a Boxer for 12 years. He ended up with epilepsy, which was later found to be a brain tumor :)

After he passed away I didn't get another dog for 7 years. I guess some people get over it relatively quickly, for me the whole time from his first fit, to the day he passed away was horrible. I never wanted to go through that again.

When I started entertaining the thought of another dog (with much subtle hinting from the missus) one of my main criteria was health. I wanted a robust dog, something that could handle a bit of rough house play, weekends away and a couch potato on the side. Amazingly after much research online, I found the American Staffordshire Terrier. Exactly what I was looking for. My family has asked why I never got another Boxer. To be honest no dog could ever replace my boy, and it wouldn't be fair on the new dog to compare or expect him to be the same. The past is the past and I'll always cherish the memories of my Boxer.

The Amstaff is harder to train. Not by a lot, but can be more stubborn. As far as health goes, comparing to other dogs who fit my criteria, they win hands down. Not a lot to worry about health wise, and making sure they are bred well from a registered breeder is certainly the way to go. Ticking all the boxes ....

Its taken seven long years, but I've finally found a new best mate. He is with me 24/7 (I'm lucky my job allows me this pleasure) and he is known as my shadow. A dog is for life, and I had to choose wisely. I must admit I was a little iffy about this type of breed (bad press and all that) but I'm so glad I chose an Amstaff.

A very robust dog who lives to please. Great with kids and family pets. Excellent watch dog. Has made "couch potato" an art form. Always happy, very alert, fears nothing and loves his tucker.

My best friend

img0h.jpg

Definately Sibes..............a challenge every day .Love there pure independance and enjoyment of life every time they wake up it is a new adventure for them. Sheer pleasure for myself to own this breed!

Just look at them! Sibes are gorgeous (especially my sibe!)!

3817754096_580ab14b4f.jpg

Shame about the shedding, the independence and their ability to make any human look like a complete and total idiot! :mad

Seriously though, Sibes were the perfect breed for my circumstances when I got Z - I love that you have to think on your feet with them and think of new ways to deal with their quirks. When they cuddle, because it doesn't happen very often, it's really special and they're just so fun to be aorund. I think he has made me a better dog owner because he's not an easy or biddable dog. I really do have to think about ways to train him, keep him occupied and keep his brain active. He's a challenge!

Stunning pic!! :worship: I love sibes too. :(

He's pretty cute - that photo shows everything about him. He's calm but cheeky, very trainable when you know how to work with him (he was off leash and in a down stay in that photo) and conpletely gorgeous. :thanks:

Sibes are the best :D

Much better than those evil beagles huh Bec? :champagne:

Hubby and his mates decided they wanted to go in on a racing greyhound. I thought they were vicious, ugly dogs - he insisted I meet one. I did and I was in love - instantly. I then researched them and found out how easy and laid back they are and they were a great match for us.

I have always been a 'big dog' person, but went to a local dog show, saw the iggies prance around the ring and again, totally smitten. Oscar is demanding, whingy and stubborn but I absolutely adore him - he is my little monkey - he doesn't know he is a small dog - he gives the big ones hell (and they let him).

I can't picture life without greys and iggies - and thankfully hubby is the same.

For me it's the Siberian Husky

What made you choose your favourite breed?

I have dreamt of owning one ever since i can remember, I remember meeting one when i was younger and just fell in love.

That's my excuse :champagne:

What do you love about them?

Their independence, the way they greet you after you've woken up ~ or get woken up by them, I love their coat, they way they look, they way they act, they way they play with other huskies, they way they woo woo (talk) to you, the way they eat, they way they poo EVERYTHING in other words!

Do you currently own this breed or want to?

I am owned by two!

Look at these faces.. how can you resist!

28646_420536375859_607740859_5910546_6561264_n.jpg

My favorite breed is the Staffordshire Bullterrier, I have wanted one ever since I was 10 years old, a friend had one and I just loved the big dopey grin and boof head :worship:, but my Mum would never let me get one as we already had a dog (whippet/kelpie/ACD cross) and she was a terror and very possessive of my mum so she was worried that there could be problems with adding another dog and also considering that she would escape and go wandering teach the new pup bad habits.

When she was hit by a car and had to be PTS we never got another dog for a few years, and then when I was 21 mum told me of a guy who she knew through works male SBT had sired a litter so she said I could get a dog or have a 21st party. I chose the dog :thanks: ever since then I have never not had a stafford and I don't think I could ever not have one in my home.

But I would love to get a French Bulldog and a Malinois one day to go with the stafford, well when I win lotto and am able to buy some nice big property out of the burbs :mad

ETA for got to say :champagne:

Edited by JRM75

I was drawn in by the Golden’s reputation as the perfect family pet. After some research on the golden I started reading Dol which initially did scare me off them as there was always a mention of digging/destruction etc.

But I decided to go for it anyway and landed with Bubby when he was 11 months old! OMG He was perfect! To cut a long story short I just HAD to get one more!

EVERYTHING! I am partial to pale goldens with a boooootiful face! Looks aside I think my favourite thing about them is their good nature and peaceful temperaments. They are never quarrelsome. They just accept everything with such good grace and if they want to protest about anything, sulking is their preferred method. I just LOVE that part of their nature. They are easy dogs for me to spoil and can handle my spoiling without any detriment! :champagne:

I own two and have this terrible urge for another which I am trying to resist because life is so good right now! Mind you I thought that when I had one so......................

A Newfoundland stole my heart, and the breed will forever be my number one love, but I do not know if I'll ever be able to have another after losing my boy. I fell in love with the breed for so many reasons - everything about them is perfection of the canine race- their size, their fur, their eyes, their drool, their stubborn-ness, their sense of humor, their utter devotion, their love. The way they roll when they move, the way they bound along, their huge but soft paws... their smell. Their loyalty and courage. Just everything about them.

However, I am now devoted to the Border Terrier breed, which I absolutely ADORE but alas, they will only ever be second :worship: I chose this breed because I wanted something small to do agility & flyball with (Newfy and an ageing Dobermann not being suitable!), but I always wanted something I liked the look of, that would get along with other animals, easy to look after but with a bit of grooming to keep me busy. I first met a breeder and their dogs at the Royal Melbourne show in 2002 and picked up a business card. 2 years later in 2004 when I was actively looking for my next dog, I found their business card and contacted them. They had a bitch in whelp at the time and the sire was the dog I had met & fallen in love with 2 years earlier! So I put my name down and about 4 weeks later, little Caber was born :thanks:

He's a lunatic but I LOVE him. Dog sports went out the window as I got hooked on showing, he was never the best showdog but he has taught me so very much and I have loved every minute spent with him in the ring!!! Well, almost every minute :)

Then, in May of 2007, they had another litter, a repeat of a mating that produced a bitch I really liked, so I naturally asked if I could have a bitch :laugh: enter Ziva.

Ziva was a much better showdog than Caber, titling before him :) and earning many 'fringies' and was generally quite successful.

Eventually I took and passed my breeders exam, registered my prefix and then in January of this year, my first litter was born :D from that litter, I kept a bitch- Casey, and she has so far exceeded my expectations!!! I can't wait to see where we go next :(

So that's my story in a nutshell- Loved the look & sound of the breed, owned one and found him perfect for me, got my bitch who is totally different, yet similar and bred my first litter. I know people who love the look of a breed, get one and love it but decide maybe it's not the right breed for them afterall and so try something different. Which is okay!! But I have been lucky and I am 100% devoted to having this breed for the rest of my life. Although I have a few "one day" breeds on my list :laugh: The main one being the Hungarian Wire Haired Vizsla which I hope to own within the next 2-3 years (always liked the Vizslas, but when I met my first wirey it was :champagne: obviously I have a thing for scruffy dogs :laugh: but the personality is great, and as much as I adore the Borders, the idea of something that is just in love with you is also apealing as is a dog that is not going to be at all defensive or aggressive to other animals (Borders are generally pretty good, but are still terriers at heart and will not back down if challenged etc. So I want something a little more easy-going with other dogs for a change :mad And something that can be trusted off-leash too!!!)

I'm a Spitz lover in general, but after many long talks with my OH before we got Akira, we decided on a Siberian Husky.

My OH's only stipulation when choosing a dog was that it needed to be a dog he could wrestle with. ;) We choose to get a Sibe because we're both very active people (my partner is a footballer, and he can't wait until Akira is a little bigger and better trained so that he can take her running every night) and we wanted a breed that was friendly and would be good with kids, as we're thinking about non-fur babies in the next couple of years or so. :grouphug: We also liked that they're fairly independent and capable of amusing themselves for a while (Akira is currently outside playing with two toys and having none of me!) and we loved that they're an intelligent breed.

I love everything about them. I love the way my puppy tests me every single day, and the way I need to come up with different ways of teaching her things because she gets bored. I also love the way they know who will let them get away with things - Akira almost NEVER bites me, but my OH gets her teeth sunk into his hand quite often, and she's never tried to steal food from us but she'll nick a piece of pizza if my sister is puppy-sitting! And of course, I love their beautiful looks.

I own my gorgeous 4 month old puppy, Akira. She's the first Sibe I've owned, but I doubt will be the last. :cry:

How can you resist their good looks? :cry:

puppy.jpg

Edited by whiskedaway

When I was growing up I never thought that I'd have a dog because I was allergic to them. My best friend bought a Pug and he didn't make me swell up! So we went for a drive one day to play with some baby French Bulldogs and ended up bringing one home as I wasn't allergic to her either!

I love it how her ears move when I call her yet she is stubborn and chooses to ignore me!

I love it how she can snore louder than my husband in the middle of the night...

I love it how she farts and runs away leaving the humans to sit and marinate in it!

I love it how she can be so independant but still make sure you're watching from the otherside of the dog park.

I love it how she has bucket loads of personality and makes me so proud to finally be a dog owner...

18773_279777061592_634636592_3533939_5799982_n.jpg

24787_392095946592_634636592_3980264_7336049_n.jpg

18 months ago i decided to foster because i didnt want another dog ( had 2 oldies ) . I was looking to guide dogs but I was to far away for them, so did a bit of research and decided to foster for GAP. I got to number 13 before i failed and by then i was hooked on greys i just love them, then i rescued one from Hawkesbury intending to rehome him but looks like he is staying. So now I have 2 greys when i didnt want another dog but they are just great. Just love greys

Welcome to DOL Hayley,

I have owned several large breeds over the years, but the GSD and the Rottie are the breeds I love.

What made you choose your favourite breeds ? Love, loyalty, very Intelligent are big sooks and great family pets.

What do you love about them? All of the above and the fact they love to be with you and you can trust your life with them.

Do you currently own this breed or want to? Yes I have two GSD's and one Rottie. :laugh:

I do feel sorry for people who have never owned a GSD or Rottie, as they will never know the joy that these wonderful breeds can bring. :laugh: