Photographers At Shows

~SL~

I was asked recently at a show if I would mind taking some photos of a gentleman's dogs (his daughter was in the ring showing) I said sure I didn't mind and got him to point her and the dog out. He said to me that he would pay me for them. I didn't want or expect payment, I was just happy to take them and get some more practice.

Anyway it got me thinking...

What do you tell people at shows when they ask you to take photos?

Would you want payment?

Do you tell them up front it will cost them, or do you take them then send them large watermarked photos and invoice?

How soon do you expect to view the photos if it was of your dog?

I take photos for ppl pretty much every show im at..

They do say they are happy to pay but i always say no..

I enjoy taking photos and seeing how they turn out.. I tell them im not a pro and i do it for the love of dogs...

My views as a buyer, I don't take photos.

I would tell them im happy to take photo's and what i charge, and that they will be sent watermarked copies etc.

At this stage if they said ok, i would ask them to give me their contact details etc.

Would you want payment?

If i wanted to make it a business yes, if it was a very new business with no reputation i would do some

free ones to get my name out there.

Do you tell them up front it will cost them, or do you take them then send them large watermarked photos and invoice?

I think you have to tell them upfront, it's rude and very unprofessional otherwise.

You will not get yourself a good reputation if you conduct business like that.

How soon do you expect to view the photos if it was of your dog?

24-48 hours.

Guest Tess32

Having done it before, I would upload the photos to a website and have pricing and ordering information clearly visible.

They were usually available that night, or the next day, otherwise most people don't bother buying.

If an individual asked me directly, I'd say something like "sure, internet copy is $10 etc, and I send them on email' and so on.

You HAVE to mention pricing.

I am curious also if anyone has a problem with someone taking photos of their dogs at a show? I would like to head to some shows to take photos of beautiful true to breed dogs as referances for my art work, but I am not sure if people would be ok with it.

If I wanted money for the photos I took i would definatly tell them up front (I don't btw, just if i did)

If I asked someone to take photos of my dog my expecations would be based on the charge. If the photos where free then i would be happy with anything recongnisable as my dog and me. If i was paying then my expectations would rise quite alot

I take photos for friends at shows or anyone who asks. Its great practise for me and I never ask for any money, I'm not professional and not nearly good enough in my mind to charge anyone.

If you do charge I think telling the person upfront is the most honnest and I try to get photos out to people with 24 - 48 hours of the show but sometimes thats just not possible.

Altheau I have had people come up and ask to take photos of my dogs. I think provide you ask the owner you shouldn't have an issue :p

There are many photographers out and about at shows these days .... happily snapping away ..... usually

they end up on websites or facebook for you to look at and order if you want.

One important part of this in my opinion is that the photographer lets it be known where the photo's will be

so that you can view them and if you don't like them or they aren't particularly good shots (for whatever reason)

you can ask for them to be removed.

I have purchased quite a few pics online and these were pics that at the time I didn't know where being taken -

they're sometimes the best .... VBG

Guest Tess32
I am curious also if anyone has a problem with someone taking photos of their dogs at a show? I would like to head to some shows to take photos of beautiful true to breed dogs as referances for my art work, but I am not sure if people would be ok with it.

If I wanted money for the photos I took i would definatly tell them up front (I don't btw, just if i did)

If I asked someone to take photos of my dog my expecations would be based on the charge. If the photos where free then i would be happy with anything recongnisable as my dog and me. If i was paying then my expectations would rise quite alot

People will just want to view the photos if you are going to be showing them publically. Many may want the photos taken off the net, if the dog doesn't look great in it. It's not a personal thing or even a judgement on the photograpy skill. Not many show photographers are going to be experts in each breed, after all.

Would you want payment?

What about the reverse, when people offer to take photo's of your dog/s without revealing they expect you to pay for them?

I have often taken photo's for people and just passed them on, no expectations of payment, always people I know, never strangers, except once I sent video footage of a dogs BIG win just cause I had it.

What about the reverse, when people offer to take photo's of your dog/s without revealing they expect you to pay for them?

Too bad. No agreement - no dough. If I was sent the photo with an invoice in that situation I'd laugh and send the invoice back.

Guest Tess32

Too bad. No agreement - no dough. If I was sent the photo with an invoice in that situation I'd laugh and send the invoice back.

I agree. You cannot charge people for a sale, when they genuinely have no idea they've entered into a sale agreement.

I agree. You cannot charge people for a sale, when they genuinely have no idea they've entered into a sale agreement.

I wasn't sent a photo, just a link to it and no I didn't buy it.

Any photos I take I now put up on my flickr site for people to download - flickr gives people the option of downloading a range of sizes. While I don't expect or ask for payment I do ask people to acknowledge me as photographer if they use the photo for an ad or in a publication. Mostly people are pretty good about this.

You need to be very careful taking payment for photos at shows and selling them. There has been recently a situation where the VCA have stepped in and told someone doing this, that they need PI insurance to do so - and this is the law in Australia so the VCA are correct. If you start announcing that you are taking photos and SELLING them, there are legal procedures to do so.

There is also the situation where someone else was reported to Centrelink for the same thing - so unless you are everyones best buddy, just be careful, do everything by the book and watch your back. I get someone to do photos for me and what arrangement we have in private is our business and not advertised for all to see.

Cheers

I have been asked by a few people to take photos at Agility Trials before and have done it for the love of taking photos and providing for my friends.

Since then I have also provided shots to the club which are used on their website.

However, now I am trialing, not sure if I'll get an opportunity this weekend... but we'll see :p

Might lend my camera to someone to see if they'll take the shots for me with my dog :laugh:

You need to be very careful taking payment for photos at shows and selling them. There has been recently a situation where the VCA have stepped in and told someone doing this, that they need PI insurance to do so - and this is the law in Australia so the VCA are correct. If you start announcing that you are taking photos and SELLING them, there are legal procedures to do so.

There is also the situation where someone else was reported to Centrelink for the same thing - so unless you are everyones best buddy, just be careful, do everything by the book and watch your back. I get someone to do photos for me and what arrangement we have in private is our business and not advertised for all to see.

Cheers

Wow, I had no idea about the insurance! Not that I take pics at shows and sell them. Don't photographers also have to pay a "site fee" to the club where they're taking the pics?

I don't understand the part about being "reported to Centrelink"??? If the person was declaring the profits from the pics as income then what is reporting them to Centrelink going to achieve?

Cheers

Why would you need PI (i.e. professional indemnity) insurance - this is for people like lawyers, accountants and engineers who provide professional services.

PL insurance is public liability insurance and you don't need that to take photos.

I am really interested for more information on that the VCA thinks the law is re taking photos.

Anyway - on topic. Unless they are a professional photographer (or someone portfolio building) then they should not be charging for photos. If they are going to charge then this must be disclosed up front (basic contract law). I would expect to receive the photos within a couple of days.

Guest Tess32

Cheers

I don't understand the part about being "reported to Centrelink"??? If the person was declaring the profits from the pics as income then what is reporting them to Centrelink going to achieve?

This is just bizarre and I seriously doubt it...

How would anyone 'know' if someone at a show is doing their tax correctly!

Cheers

Why would you need PI (i.e. professional indemnity) insurance - this is for people like lawyers, accountants and engineers who provide professional services.

PL insurance is public liability insurance and you don't need that to take photos.

I am really interested for more information on that the VCA thinks the law is re taking photos.

Anyway - on topic. Unless they are a professional photographer (or someone portfolio building) then they should not be charging for photos. If they are going to charge then this must be disclosed up front (basic contract law). I would expect to receive the photos within a couple of days.

Actually we do. Although most "photographers" aren't aware of this and just shoot without it. If someone trips over their camera bag, I hope they're prepared to lose their home!

From a professional point of view (and just following on from what Danois says up there.)

People who are portfolio building have every right to charge. It just shouldn't be a 'full rate' particularly if the work isn't at a consistent level.

Personally, if I offer to take photos for someone for whatever reason (and I do this ocassionally), I NEVER charge. That's just rude! If I offer it's because I want to take a photo, not because I want to make money.

If someone asks me to take a photo, I tell them it will be x amount and make arrangements for getting the images to them that suit us all. If they want the photo, they'll pay, if they don't want to pay, they'll ask someone else to take a photo.