Shedding

Alfie02

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My white labs hair sticks to everything which is a bugger as I wear black pants and usually dark shirts to work. My other dog is a lab X GR and his hair sticks to nothing. There is still copious amounts of it drifting around the floor but it is like teflon. There is none on the furniture and none on clothes.

Just a quick question on which dog breed sheds more. Huski, Labrador or Golden Retriever?

Siberian Husky without a doubt. The other two wouldn't even be close to what a Sibe sheds.

Yeah a friend of mine owns 9 dogs, a variety of breeds but the majority are husky and she recons they shed like nothing she has ever owned before. I must say my lab also sheds loads, I am forever vacuuming and sweeping up outside.

Daisy my beagle sheds heaps but it's nothing compared to Micha fur! OMG And it's ALL year round too.

The show Sibes only seem to shed twice a year and then do it massively. I wonder why your's sheds all year? How often is he washed and blow dried? Using a force dryer will get the dead coat out in one or two goes. Without a decent dryer I can see it taking months to get it all out but at least the hair comes out in clumps.

The amount of hair you took out in that video is no more than I can get out of a BC that is shedding but again it is only twice a year. They still lose some hair all year but not like the twice yearly coat drop. When mine shed it is like a snowstorm when you turn a force dryer onto them. I can completely carpet my backyard (and share it with the neighbours) with one BC coat.

The problem with Labs is the short coat does not come out in clumps so you don't end up with a nice big pile of hair that is easily thrown away. They shed one hair at a time and as the hairs are quite coarse they stick into everything and are impossible to remove.

My female Aussie blows coat twice a year and it's drastic but once it's done, it's done and I help it along with an undercoat rake. My boy hardly sheds at all, but I strip his coat out with a rake every now and then or he gets too wild and woolly.

Aside from the bi-annual coat drop, it's not too bad....the odd hair here and there but no tumbleweeds.

They can't hold a candle to the Maine Coon cat. She sheds her weight in cat hair every day and her weight is considerable. I would never get a hairy cat again.

My Aussie is only 8 months old but hasn't shed much at all. A good brush removes a couple dozen hairs and thats it.

Our Goldie - it never ends. You can brush her for an hour and then still get a hand full of hair when you pat her. Our two cross breed cats are shockers too. We have just had to get used to the hair.

I have a pug and a pug x gsd, so it's baaaaaaad all year round. I wear mostly black and end up covered in it. My friends know where the little sticky roller thing lives, so they can de-fur themselves :)

People are always suprised at the amount of coat that my dogs drop:

p10008771275343728.JPG

p10008851275343771.JPG

Rileys shedding like mad at the moment. Its driven me nuts over the last few days as Ive been sick and stuck on the couch and I've just led there looking at all the dog hair on my rug and it drove me nuts.

I managed to vaccum it yesterday and today its gone black with hair again.

The show Sibes only seem to shed twice a year and then do it massively. I wonder why your's sheds all year? How often is he washed and blow dried? Using a force dryer will get the dead coat out in one or two goes. Without a decent dryer I can see it taking months to get it all out but at least the hair comes out in clumps.

The amount of hair you took out in that video is no more than I can get out of a BC that is shedding but again it is only twice a year. They still lose some hair all year but not like the twice yearly coat drop. When mine shed it is like a snowstorm when you turn a force dryer onto them. I can completely carpet my backyard (and share it with the neighbours) with one BC coat.

The problem with Labs is the short coat does not come out in clumps so you don't end up with a nice big pile of hair that is easily thrown away. They shed one hair at a time and as the hairs are quite coarse they stick into everything and are impossible to remove.

It's not as bad as in the video all year round, but you can always get hair off him. The video was not him at his worst shedding, I'd brushed a lot of it out before hand.

He is brushed/washed regularly though probably not as much as some show Sibes who can be washed up to once a week.

I have a Manchester Terrier and he's low maintenance ie does shed but his hair is only 1cm long. He gets a brush once or twice a day which is really a 5 second job because his hair is so short :laugh: so I don't have dog hair wafting around the place.

Taz (Schipperke) is a non stop shedder, hes a totally inside dog and the hair is everywhere, just floats across the floor in the breeze.

I mean how does dog hair get in the freezer, i cant believe so much hair comes from one little black dog lol. What ever dog i get in the future

i will certainly be used to dog hair. Hes just lucky i love him :laugh:

Hi kellytaz,

We've got nine Schipperkes and you are right about the hair getting everywhere. Open a cupboard door and it's in the cupboard. Apart from one all of ours are entire so only drop twice a year and not constantly but when the bitches have their pre-season coat drop it's unbelivable. The black and cream combination of hair here makes life interesting :laugh:

Oh my, I have 2 Clumbers and they shed twice - every day and every night, 24/7, 365. They just shed non stop.

They stand on the table at the vet and it's like it is snowing. On the plus side, the vets have often commented how wonderful and relaxed they are on the table (one fell asleep while having her sore leg manipulated, and the young one fell asleep as a pup during her first vaccination!).

I have no tips for minmising shedding - other than getting rid of my dogs - but given they are essentially my kids, I think I'll carry on keeping the makers of the sticky roller things in business!

Cheers

--------------

Hi everyone,

Just curious about different dogs and shedding. I know that German Shepherds are supposed to be champion shedders, so how do their owners minimise this? When you hug them does the fur get all over you? Is the amount of hair comming out tollerable?

What breed of dog do you have and how much do they shed? What are your shedding minimising tips and tricks?

My frigging Lab never stop shedding :rofl:

His hair is everywhere, even in my food, at work, in the car, in places he has never even been and it drives me totally insane :rofl:

You hug him and there is hair all over you and it's not easy to just brush off, it sticks to everything.

And this coming from someone who has double coated arctic dogs aswell.

Put it this way, the Lab loses more hair then two Samoyeds do :rofl:

No more Labs for this family that for sure :)

I have an elkhound (spitz) who sheds a lot and a goldy who also sheds a lot. However, it is much easier to manage my elkhound's shedding since when he is brushed, the hair gets collected in tiny bundles. With the goldy, the hair flies everywhere!!!!!

Another Labrador owner here.

It's EVERYWHERE - ALL of the time.

You are either forever sweeping/vacuuming or just learn to live with it. I choose the latter and only sweep once midweek and vacuum on weekends. The vacuum cleaner is FULL of black hair every weekend.

I think it was Rubystar who said Labradors only shed once a year - it lasts about 365 days. :rofl:

This is what came off Zero in a couple of minutes of grooming:

4345993364_235910cf08.jpg

He wasn't even in full coat blow.

The backseat of my new car looks like something died in it thanks to Zero's hair and he's actually not losing much coat at all at the moment! :thumbsup:

My dogs tend to do two big sheds per year and the rest of the year its only fairly light shedding.

While I have been overseas for a few months my boy has been living the life of luxury with heating and a coat on :laugh: and sleeping on the persons bed and she has said he has been shedding profusely. He has never shed like that in his life. Probably lost all his nice, thick Winter coat now.

My white labs hair sticks to everything which is a bugger as I wear black pants and usually dark shirts to work. My other dog is a lab X GR and his hair sticks to nothing. There is still copious amounts of it drifting around the floor but it is like teflon. There is none on the furniture and none on clothes.

ditto