Is This Good For My Puppy?

I bought these 2 chewy things from the pet shop(they don't sell pets). The white coloured 1 is skin(the attendant told me) and the green coloured 1 is Greenie. The main purpose of these are to let him chew and clean its teeth. I was wondering if these are good for my puppy?

post-33443-1275360915_thumb.jpg

post-33443-1275360929_thumb.jpg

I haven't heard good things about greenies... have a look for ingredients there are a bunch of preservatives and stuff on there...

Best thing for puppy would be supervised introduction to raw meaty bones of appropriate size...they are healthy and fresh and do wonders for teeth.

Not what I would choose - the green one will cause the poos to turn green! :rofl:

The white one is highly processed to get it to the white colour, probably bleached.

Why not try raw chicken necks or wings or else a big meaty bone?

The first one looks like rawhide.

I don't like to feed them because the dogs can chew big bits off and choke, not to mentioned being over processed

The second, the Greenie, I wont touch with a barg pole.

Full of crap IMO.

I give my dogs bones, they like them more and their teeth are sparkling clean.

Edited by Wolfsong

Thanks for the advice. He gets chicken necks during his meals. He choked on chicken wing twice so I am not going to give him anymore. I am looking for something that he could chew when he is sitting around the living room. Do you guys have any recommendations on what can i buy to let him chew? I bought him a chew toy but he don't like it.

Those two won't hurt as a 'treat'. But not something I'd do regularly. Bones to chew on are great for teeth and much better nutritionally too.

If you tell us what breed/age of puppy you have I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations for bones.

Raw carrot?

That's Emmy's latest craze at the moment. I get a carrot out of the fridge and she gets all so happy about it.

:rofl: I do that too for my boy! Frozen carrots are the best in summer..

Edited by Bundy's Mum

The original Nylabones in wolf size are good for Borders to chew in the house without making a mess. Make sure you get the hard cream coloured one, not the rubbery clearer one and do not get any other brand. The cheaper white ones in other brands are very dangerous.

Other than that carrots, broccoli stems, pig, sheep or venison ears are all good. The beefhide chews are ok occasionally but I stopped using them when they started to import them all from China. I have heard soem absolute horror stories about Greenies and wouldn't even consider gving them to my dogs.

When I'm giving my big boy a chicken wing, I actually hold it while he chews it, so that he doesn't try to gulp it all at once. It's actually been really good - makes the wing last longer, and makes him very careful about where he puts his teeth near my hand. :thumbsup:

I feed the raw carrot. Sometimes I do frozen kibble in yogurt.

and for very special treat - the beef chip - which is a bit of rawhide.

I can't do whole rawhide bones because pesky puppy - from taking several days to eat one, now takes less than 20 minutes and it does comes out badly (runny poo).

Similar problem with beef marrow bones, fine if I supervise and take them away when she starts chomping them into splinters. The problem being when she swallows the splinters and it comes out badly at about 3am usually. Not fun to clean up and I worry about internal punctures. So no chomping raw (or cooked bones) for my dog.

Chicken wings - have also returned to haunt us. Better out than in.

For food value I feed soft raw bones...not beef and not load bearing hard bones. If you are after a chewy the bestest thing I have come across is a sheep horn! I kid you not...they are hard cartilage and last for months/years. My Aussie and my BC each have one that is chewed on every few days and are 18 months old. You have to get them dried....same way as dried liver etc only on a bigger scale for longer! Other wise visit a farm or station that have a few old ones in the paddock!!!! That's how I discovered them when my kelpie found one visiting her home station. Took it back with us and it was still around a couple of years later.

edited to add

BTW I would never give my dog raw hide (bleached :thumbsup: ) or greenies....both can cause blockages.

Thanks for the advice. He gets chicken necks during his meals. He choked on chicken wing twice so I am not going to give him anymore. I am looking for something that he could chew when he is sitting around the living room. Do you guys have any recommendations on what can i buy to let him chew? I bought him a chew toy but he don't like it.
Edited by bedazzledx2

The original Nylabones in wolf size are good for Borders to chew in the house without making a mess. Make sure you get the hard cream coloured one, not the rubbery clearer one and do not get any other brand. The cheaper white ones in other brands are very dangerous.

Other than that carrots, broccoli stems, pig, sheep or venison ears are all good. The beefhide chews are ok occasionally but I stopped using them when they started to import them all from China. I have heard soem absolute horror stories about Greenies and wouldn't even consider gving them to my dogs.

I got something similar to the Nylabones but Oreo won't chew it. He will just leave it lying about.

Oreo don't touch carrot and brocoli. Maybe I will try pig, sheep or venison ears. But aren't they very fatty?

I feed the raw carrot. Sometimes I do frozen kibble in yogurt.

and for very special treat - the beef chip - which is a bit of rawhide.

I can't do whole rawhide bones because pesky puppy - from taking several days to eat one, now takes less than 20 minutes and it does comes out badly (runny poo).

Similar problem with beef marrow bones, fine if I supervise and take them away when she starts chomping them into splinters. The problem being when she swallows the splinters and it comes out badly at about 3am usually. Not fun to clean up and I worry about internal punctures. So no chomping raw (or cooked bones) for my dog.

Chicken wings - have also returned to haunt us. Better out than in.

My boy's breeder recommend marrow bone as well. Maybe I will try that as well.

For food value I feed soft raw bones...not beef and not load bearing hard bones. If you are after a chewy the bestest thing I have come across is a sheep horn! I kid you not...they are hard cartilage and last for months/years. My Aussie and my BC each have one that is chewed on every few days and are 18 months old. You have to get them dried....same way as dried liver etc only on a bigger scale for longer! Other wise visit a farm or station that have a few old ones in the paddock!!!! That's how I discovered them when my kelpie found one visiting her home station. Took it back with us and it was still around a couple of years later.

edited to add

BTW I would never give my dog raw hide (bleached :cry: ) or greenies....both can cause blockages.

Not sure where can I find a sheep horn :laugh: