How To Make A Dog Howl?

I am trying to teach Banjo to 'sing'. (howl on cue) I can get him to howl at a sqeaky toy occasionally but not regularly enough to make much headway.

What else can I try to get him to howl?

What other simple tricks could I try teach while he is supposed to be 'kept quiet' after his desexing?

My old shepherds used to howl to I will always love you by Whitney Houston and my little dog howls his head off when the Antiques Roadshow starts. But I can just sit there with my lot put my head back and howl and they will all join in no encouragement needed.

I howl and Poppy howls back. I make whimpering noises then build up to a howl. Started teaching her it when she was really excited (near walk time for example) but now she does it whenever I howl at her.

If I howl then so so the dogs, maybe try that

Yep Bailey will howl when he hears me howl, & also when I sing to him. If I say "I love You" to him in a high pitch voice, he will say it back to me in a howly voice, it sounds exactly like it. :cheer:

I agree if you do teach howl make sure your very careful how you teach it.

Seriously though keeped quiet doesnt mean doing nothing.Our dogs still do everything that is normal within moderation.

I am trying to teach Banjo to 'sing'. (howl on cue) I can get him to howl at a sqeaky toy occasionally but not regularly enough to make much headway.

What other simple tricks could I try teach while he is supposed to be 'kept quiet' after his desexing?

If I were your neighbour I'd prefer you just obeyed the Drs orders.I have 2 town criers next to me & fair dinkum it is as bad as barkers. :eek: IMHO in may be cute now but you are probably teaching him a very bad habit that you may live to regret.Can't you teach him to read or watch a DVD quietly? :)

Edited by bridie

If I were your neighbour I'd prefer you just obeyed the Drs orders.I have 2 town criers next to me & fair dinkum it is as bad as barkers. :eek: IMHO in may be cute now but you are probably teaching him a very bad habit that you may live to regret.Can't you teach him to read or watch a DVD quietly? :)

My JRT howls when the answering machine is on, I like to think he is trying to talk to the people on the other end of the phone

My neighbours have 2 huskies and an Alaskan Malamute - they won't complain about the occasional howl I don't think. (And there is quite a distance between our houses also) None of the suggestions worked anyway. I put you u-tube on and he frantically went in search of the dog. :)