Plz Need Information On Shows

Hi PLG2010 welcome to DOL.

I will try and help you and I'm sure if i forget anything someone else will answer what i forget.

To show a dog in australia it varies from state to state.

In QLD it is 10 yrs old

In NSW it is 7yrs old.

Other states I dont know sorry.

You must also be a member of your states controlling body.

To get into showing you need to be a member of your states controlling body, Dogs Vic, Dogs Qld etc.

Once you know what breed you want to show go about finding an ETHICAL REGISTERED breeder build a good relationship with them and if you want to show someone that is nearby is always handy as they can be at shows to guide you.

And yes by all mean you need a good quality dog to show it.

A puppy must be 3 months old to be shown and of course must be registered with the state controlling body.

Umm cant think of anything else at the moment

Edited by JSK

Also your dog needs to be on main register and entrire. And have no disqualifying faults.

You can show a desexed dog in neuter classes if the show offers them and they have just bought in a new neuter championship. The dog still needs to be main register I know in NSW you need to have your dogs papers amended to "neuter"

i'd also advise that you come to a show (if you haven't done so before). There are lots of people here on DOL that show, you can arrange to meet them and get some advice and tips in person :laugh:

I agree :confused:

Also Depending on your age Junior handlers is a great way to learn and I am always happy to lend one of my dogs.

i'd also advise that you come to a show (if you haven't done so before). There are lots of people here on DOL that show, you can arrange to meet them and get some advice and tips in person :provoke:

I agree :champagne:

Also Depending on your age Junior handlers is a great way to learn and I am always happy to lend one of my dogs.

Thanks for all your thoughts. What is actualy involved in a dog show??????

Edited by Poodlelovergirl2010

If I was you, I would go to a few shows so that you can see what you will have to do. You would also need a pup with show potential that is also on the main register with your relevant state canine body.

Do you mean how does it all work? I'll give it a try...

Dogs are judged in age classes according to their gender. So boy baby puppies (3 to 6 months) in the same breed are all in a class together and so on.

Dogs are judged as to how well they match up with the standard for their breed - see here: ANKC Breeds

So the one from the age class that the judge considers the best representative of the breed standard is the winner. The winner of a class will go on to compete against the winner of the same age class of the opposite sex - ie winning male of age group against winning female in same age group.

Also of all the males and all the females in a breed (over six months) the best male and the best female will be awarded a "challenge certifcate" which gives them points towards a Championship title.

The best male and female of a breed will compete for best of breed. If for example the male wins the runner up male gets a chance to compete for runner up of breed, the winning female doesn't get it automatically.

All best of breeds from a particular Group - eg the "Toy Group" - compete for the award of Best in Group. Then the Best in Group winners (there are seven groups) all compete for Best in Show which is the highest award at an individual show.

The winners for particular age classes also get to compete against the winners from other breeds, then other groups as well.

Shows are advertised online or in your State Gazette which is mailed to you when you're a member of your State governing body - eg. Dogs NSW etc.

Entries are sent in the mail or completed online a few weeks before the show date.

All as clear as mud?? :champagne:

Edit - too late for accurate spelling!

Edited by Alyosha

Do you mean how does it all work? I'll give it a try...

Dogs are judged in age classes according to their gender. So boy baby puppies (3 to 6 months) in the same breed are all in a class together and so on.

Dogs are judged as to how well they match up with the standard for their breed - see here: ANKC Breeds

So the one from the age class that the judge considers the best representative of the breed standard is the winner. The winner of a class will go on to compete against the winner of the same age class of the opposite sex - ie winning male of age group against winning female in same age group.

Also of all the males and all the females in a breed (over six months) the best male and the best female will be awarded a "challenge certifcate" which gives them points towards a Championship title.

The best male and female of a breed will compete for best of breed. If for example the male wins the runner up male gets a chance to compete for runner up of breed, the winning female doesn't get it automatically.

All best of breeds from a particular Group - eg the "Toy Group" - compete for the award of Best in Group. Then the Best in Group winners (there are seven groups) all compete for Best in Show which is the highest award at an individual show.

The winners for particular age classes also get to compete against the winners from other breeds, then other groups as well.

Shows are advertised online or in your State Gazette which is mailed to you when you're a member of your State governing body - eg. Dogs NSW etc.

Entries are sent in the mail or completed online a few weeks before the show date.

All as clear as mud?? :(

Edit - too late for accurate spelling!

Not really what i was looking for what i was hopeing for was some information in what you have to do in a dog show also does ur dog have to be purebred and what is the main register??????

All explained above of 'what you have to do'

The judge will ask each exhibitor to do a triangle or up and back to judge the way the dog moves.

Yes dogs have to be purebred, thats the whole point of showing your dog :(

Oh main register means full pedigree papers as opposed to Ltd Registraion, dogs on these can not be shown or bred from.

Edited by Missymoo

Hi poodlelovergirl2010-

I think you really do need to go to a show and see what happens there.

You can also do classes - either at Bulla or KCC Park, whichever is close to you, where you can learn the basics of what we call ringcraft. :( You will need a pedigree, mains registered dog to show (that is an entire pedigree dog of a recognised breed, that may be used for breeding and for showing), you will also need to be a member of the Victorian Canine Association (VCA). If you don't have your own dog, you may be able to find a showie who is willing to mentor you and learn as a general handler (usually handlers start as junior handlers, but not always). However, to practice you will need access to a suitable dog - preferably one that is a bit older and is familar and comfortable with the ring.

If you have your own dog, you will need the support of your breeder - they will place the dog on the mains register and a good breeder will give you advice and help with your showing ambitions.