Should I Get A Second Opinion?

Today after walking the dogs I went out and got a call from mum to come home because Lincoln was dribbling a lot and had several watery greeny yellow stools in the space of 20 mins.

I drove home and took him to his usual vet, at this stage he was slightly listless but the drool was troubling. :thumbsup: The vet did a reactal exam, temp, felt his stomach/abdomen and checked his gums. She gave him a pain injection and sent us home with Scourban Antidiarrhoeal Susp and Metrogyl tablests. AT home we gave 10ml of the Scourban and the tablet. He is still slaivating excessively but has only had one diarrhorea since we got home. His gums are pink but in places where the skin is loose it is taking a while to snap back. He is asleep and extremely lethargic he is also shivering.

It is a public holiday in WA (of course) and the vets I originally took him to are now closed. I rang the other emergency vet I could think of and the on call vet said that he would probably be better off at home with me to comfort him for now as all they would be able to do was give him an IV and to call back in an hour if I still thought Lincoln needed to be soon (got the feeling he was reluctant to be called in).

Am I being a bit dramatic? Also would it help to give Lincoln an electrolyte drink instead of water (not that he will have either atm)?

Edited by valleyCBR

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today after walking the dogs I went out and got a call from mum to come home because Lincoln was dribbling a lot and had several watery greeny yellow stools in the space of 20 mins.

I drove home and took him to his usual vet, at this stage he was slightly listless but the drool was troubling. :thumbsup: The vet did a reactal exam, temp, felt his stomach/abdomen and checked his gums. She gave him a pain injection and sent us home with Scourban Antidiarrhoeal Susp and Metrogyl tablests. AT home we gave 10ml of the Scourban and the tablet. He is still slaivating excessively but has only had one diarrhorea since we got home. His gums are pink but in places where the skin is loose it is taking a while to snap back. He is asleep and extremely lethargic he is also shivering.

It is a public holiday in WA (of course) and the vets I originally took him to are now closed. I rang the other emergency vet I could think of and the on call vet said that he would probably be better off at home with me to comfort him for now as all they would be able to do was give him an IV and to call back in an hour if I still thought Lincoln needed to be soon (got the feeling he was reluctant to be called in).

Am I being a bit dramatic? Also would it help to give Lincoln an electrolyte drink instead of water (not that he will have either atm)?

Just my view but I dont like his gums are not returning to pink quickly ( within 2 secs) That could be a sign of shock, have you tried Applecross Vets or George Huber ( he usually can chat on the phne re probs and is a great vet) Midvale ( he generally will come in for cases like this too )

Good luck with him, and noone is ever dramatic with their dog, its when its too late and you wish you had been dramatic.

Just my view but I dont like his gums are not returning to pink quickly ( within 2 secs) That could be a sign of shock, have you tried Applecross Vets or George Huber ( he usually can chat on the phne re probs and is a great vet) Midvale ( he generally will come in for cases like this too )

Good luck with him, and noone is ever dramatic with their dog, its when its too late and you wish you had been dramatic.

WZ his gums are pink. That is what is making me think I am being so dramatic over his drooling.

He has stopped shivering now and his nose is a bit cooler. Gums are returning to pink really quickly withtin 2 seconds of me pressing them but he is just drooling so much. Surely he will dehydrate if he keeps loosing flud from his mouth?

On way to murdoch now.

valley just to be on the safe sideI think this is good, a dog who dribbles can get dehydrated but not knowing the cause would worry me.

I once delayed the vet for a dog of mine and he is no longer here I wish I made the other choice and I will never forgive myself for the wrong choice

Good luck

I am glad you took him to the vet.

If you phoned my Emergency clinic wit these symptoms I would be recommending you come in immediately.

Let me know what the outcome is and good luck, sending you best wishes.

Poor Lincon, just as well you decided to go to another vet for a second opinion, hope he is okay, poor baby. Will check in to get updates. Sending you hugs CBR I know you must be feeling really stressed and worried but he's in good hands and they seem to know what they are dealing with.