Should I Get A Second Opinion?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a terrible thing to happen ValleyCBR. I hope Lincoln recovers quickly. Do you think the surgery was absolutely necesssary now that the diagnosis is gastroenteritis? I guess ultrasounds cannot pick up everything and you would rather be safe than sorry.

I would rather an unessecary surgery then him dying from a bowel or intestinal rupture because I was hesitating "just incase" it was for nothing. The surgery allowed them to confirm gastroenteritis, let his stomach down (it was full of gas) and change thier treatmeant plan from sustaining hydration and keeping im alive for bloackage to pass to treating gastroenteritis.

When I called this morning he was still groggy from the GA but he is improving. Will get a call mid morning with more details.

Just a note to everyone: Have pet insurance. In a situation like this it has enabled us the freedom to choose what is best for his health not double guessing ourselves becase of costs ect.

SO glad to hear that he is on the mend. I have pet insurance but to be honest I dont have $5000 lying around to pay upfront if there is an emergency, I am going to start putting some money away weekly though for situations like the one you have just gone through Valley as these emergencies always seem to happen at a bad time.

Poor Lincoln but good on you for following up your bad feeling. Similar thing happened to my sister's young Lab. She rang me worried about his behaviour etc and I told her to get him to the vet and get checked out. I thought blockage but it turned out to be bad gastro like Lincoln (apparently it looked as bad as what you've described :D ) BUT they were like you and happy that he had the surgery to make sure there was nothing there.

:thumbsup: to you and Lincoln

That is a terrible thing to happen ValleyCBR. I hope Lincoln recovers quickly. Do you think the surgery was absolutely necesssary now that the diagnosis is gastroenteritis? I guess ultrasounds cannot pick up everything and you would rather be safe than sorry.

A barium meal would have shown a blockage or not but you must add a certain bran for it to work successfully & show a bloackage,many vets dont add the special ingredient & it passes straight through.

One of our old vets did this method & it saved one of our old girls from surgery & she could be monitored.

Obviously if it hadnt past she would have needed surgery but we preferred the less invasive option first

I would rather an unessecary surgery then him dying from a bowel or intestinal rupture because I was hesitating "just incase" it was for nothing. The surgery allowed them to confirm gastroenteritis, let his stomach down (it was full of gas) and change thier treatmeant plan from sustaining hydration and keeping im alive for bloackage to pass to treating gastroenteritis.

When I called this morning he was still groggy from the GA but he is improving. Will get a call mid morning with more details.

Just a note to everyone: Have pet insurance. In a situation like this it has enabled us the freedom to choose what is best for his health not double guessing ourselves becase of costs ect.

Great news glad all is well on the road to recovery. My little CC had cronic inflamation through her tract and the vets said it was due to the scratching of the object she swallwed and her trying to regurgitate it back up, she also had the drools, she came home and they said it was no longer there whatever it was!! BUT sure as eggs it passed a day later, may pay to keep an eye on his poop just in case ?

She had the x rays, barium, and the op was by far the best choice as it shows everything and nothing ( hopefully) will be missed!

:D

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

Lincoln has just come out of surgery. They couldnt find anything but he has severe gastroenterits (she said his whole intestines looked like corrugated iorn :D .) The vets prognosis is good, I should be able to visit tomorow though I think he will be there for awhile recuperating.

same thing happened to my boy. They had to chop him open because the ultrasounds and x-rays don't always show everthing up.

I keep checking back in for updates - so glad things are passing through and that you wil soon be allowed to visit (sorry my pet hate about Murdoch :-))

Now just so you don't feel left out and forget all your showing skills, I have a little red head who needs a handler :laugh:

Just got back from the vets. Lincoln was being really sooky and kept trying to get into my lap when I first got there. Then I got to take him out in the garden with the vet so he could have a pee, once he had he kept trying to chase the butterflies. :laugh: I then got to stay while he had a little bit of food. He is getting better and will be allowed home once he is off the pain meds and his blood levels are back to normal. He is half bald though! :) But still looks as cute as ever.

Ptolomy you know I would. :) I might do show classes only with Lincoln until all that hair grows back (maybe around 2 or 3) and if you are at K9 Tuesdays or Thursdays Ciderbear can do some show training with me too and I will be happy to handle her at shows as long as I'm not working and bring Lincoln along so he dosen't forget what a show is. :)

Ptolomy you know I would. :( I might do show classes only with Lincoln until all that hair grows back (maybe around 2 or 3) and if you are at K9 Tuesdays or Thursdays Ciderbear can do some show training with me too and I will be happy to handle her at shows as long as I'm not working and bring Lincoln along so he dosen't forget what a show is. :p

Its a deal - I need to look at the schedule to see when I can enter her. Can't get to K9 on a Tuesday or Thursday at the moment - but in the process of buying a house - so stay tuned........

and thanks so much - you came close to get a toller - this might be the next best thing :p and it cures my SFE issue :rofl:

Glad to hear your little bald fellow was glad to see you and is doing OK.

Edited by Ptolomy

Cross posted from a international bully forum.Still waiting to hear the name of these pills to be posted.I have asked my vet but haven't heard back yet.If anyone can help with the name of these pills and if they are available in OZ it would be great. She had xray,scan and barium meal with no result before taking these pills. The dog in the post below did have a blockage (plastic and string)and was opened up and is now fine.

I don't know whether ALL of you are aware, but my Bully has just been to the Vets AGAIN today, to see if she has a blockage, due to her eating something she should'nt.

She had her xrays etc, but as I'm sure your all aware SOME things don't show up on xray anyway.

Well now my Vet as just got some new pills in , this he said is because of the last time general george had to be opened up ( 3rd time ) they wer'nt even sure there was a blockage, but he was deteriorating so quickly they took a chance, good job they did cos he DID have a blockage.

But it really made them aware of the Problem, that they were faced with, so now I've brought Annie home, she has taken 4 of these very tiny pills , 3 that are filled with small white balls & 1 that is filled with Bigger white balls.

I then take her back tomorrow for another xray, if all of the white balls ( which do show up on xray ) have passed through , THERE IS NO BLOCKAGE, if only the small balls have passed through , THERE IS A PARTIAL BLOCKAGE, & of course if NONE have passed through , THEN THERE IS A FULL BLOCKAGE, I think this is a great Idea & gives the Vets a much Better Idea with what is happening & where to look.

I'm probably the last to hear about this, but just thought i'd let you guys know