Should I Get A Second Opinion?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Valley CBR - gees he doesn't do things by half measures does he?? Any idea what caused the blockage and dare I ask if you have pet insurance?

I have my fingers and toes crossed that he will be Ok. Murdoch is the place to be - just a bugger that it is a public holiday. Lexi had a blockage 2 years ago caused by an orange cocus palm berry - so I really do know what you are going through.

Sending big hugs your way - and goodonya for going with your instinct.

I have pet insurence (thank god! or else I would be well over 5,000 and closer to 10,000 in debt to pay for this) because of Toby breaking his leg at 9 weeks and it costing a few grand.

They say the blockage looks long and stringy from the ultrasound, I will let everyone know what it is, I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks to DOL for teaching me to question vets or who knows how Lincoln would be going. I am so relived he is in knowlegdeable safe hands.

They say the blockage looks long and stringy from the ultrasound, I will let everyone know what it is, I have no idea what it could be.

The vet handed me the contents of Lexis stomach and intestines in a plastic bag - three big orange berries and a pile of grass. It went straight in the bin :laugh:

Let us know the updates when you get them :D

The vet handed me the contents of Lexis stomach and intestines in a plastic bag - three big orange berries and a pile of grass. It went straight in the bin :laugh:

Let us know the updates when you get them :D

Gee, how can those berries cause a blockage? I have an awful Cocos palm at my place but it's out the front where the dog isn't allowed off lead so he will never eat one but I'm surprised they can cause a blockage!

Let us know the updates when you get them :rofl:

Gee, how can those berries cause a blockage? I have an awful Cocos palm at my place but it's out the front where the dog isn't allowed off lead so he will never eat one but I'm surprised they can cause a blockage!

A toller died a couple of months ago in Perth from a blockage caused by these berries - they are like lollies to the dogs :D

I have pet insurence (thank god! or else I would be well over 5,000 and closer to 10,000 in debt to pay for this) because of Toby breaking his leg at 9 weeks and it costing a few grand.

Thanks to DOL for teaching me to question vets or who knows how Lincoln would be going. I am so relived he is in knowlegdeable safe hands.

I am gonna bet a hair band, plastic of some sort, my CC bitch ate a Chicken Elastic wrapper and $1500 later it was out after two surgeries and lots of waiting, never look at a $9 roasted chook the same again lol

Let us know the updates when you get them :rofl:

A toller died a couple of months ago in Perth from a blockage caused by these berries - they are like lollies to the dogs :D

That's awful :rofl: I'm just surprised they can cause a blockage.

I was going to suggest blockage, but you'd already gone to the vets again anyway.

A friend of mine has a puppy who had the same thing, vomiting but no runny poos. She took her to the vet and was given some scourban for an upset stomach. The pup continued to vomit and then had diahorrea. She got home one afternoon to find the pup lethargic and in her own diahorrea/vomit. Rushed her to the vet and they did an ultrasound. She had something in her stomach that came up on the ultrasound. She spent the night being stabilised in the emergency centre and then sent back to the vets for surgery to remove the object. It was a button. But, what made everything worse was the button was "made in china" and they are suspecting it had zinc in it. So, she had the blockage as well as zinc poisoning. After 5 nights in the emergency, her red blood cells stayed stable and her blood started to clot again and she was let home. The button had been in her stomach for a week and had started to disolve. The owner only knew it was a button because it kind of resembled the others on her jacket. After ringing the company that made the jacket, they advised they have no idea what materials the buttons are made from because they are sourced from China.

It was a huge expense that is a result of a mis-diagnosis.

I'm glad you trusted your gut and went for another opinion.

I'm sure he'll be fine! The dog above was so sick because of poisoning, not the blockage.

Hoping everything goes well and sending healing vibes for the recovery.

My boy is a shocker for eating things that aren't food and then having moments where he scares me, luckily to date he has been able to pass these things on his own even if it is 4 days later!

Pls keep us updated.

Lincoln has just come out of surgery. They couldnt find anything but he has severe gastroenterits (she said his whole intestines looked like corrugated iorn :thumbsup: .) The vets prognosis is good, I should be able to visit tomorow though I think he will be there for awhile recuperating.

That is a terrible thing to happen ValleyCBR. I hope Lincoln recovers quickly. Do you think the surgery was absolutely necesssary now that the diagnosis is gastroenteritis? I guess ultrasounds cannot pick up everything and you would rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by ncarter