Dog Backpacks

ETA: We just received the Ruffwear Palisades Pack and are very happy with it.

IMGP2057-1.jpg

Hi guys,

I am looking into purchasing a dog backpack for Oscar, would be used just for walking etc to give him more of a purpose. Also would like it to be able to double as a car harness.

So what I am wondering is:

What kind of backpack do you use?

What do you use your backpack for?

What would you recommend?

As they are quite expensive I want to do my research before I jump in. Thanks in advance.

Edited by NewAmstaffOwner

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I've just ordered my this week - pretty much for the same reason as you (though not as a harness as well).

I purchased a Wolf Pack Saddle Bag - they are in the US but have a distributor in WA. They have various styles available.

Here are their details:

Dxenion Working Dogs

'Providing K9 Therapy for people and K9s for Cameras'

19 Ellington Terrace

Port Kennedy WA 6172

Australia

Ph: 0407329553

Ph (Int): +61 407329553

E: [email protected]

I got an ezydog one for Banjo. I like it mainly because it stops me losing things. I can put keys, phone and camera in the zippered areas, treats and people snacks in the clip area, and sometimes even the kids shoes.

small water bottles fit nicely but not sure I want to weight him down that much.

I don't see why it couldn't double as a caar harnes as it has a ring to clip onto on the back.

I have also discovered I can clip a lead to the front left strap to use as a front clip walking harness.

104_0557.jpg

ETA I didn't buy it online, just at the pet shop.

Edited by Lucy's mama

Hi guys thanks for the recommendations.

I have been looking at the Ruff Wear Palisades Pack, it looks good and hat we want but rather expensive. The thing I like most is that the packs come off. I guess I will do some more reading and comparisons before the final decision.

I have a BLACK DOG BACK PACK in a purple colour.

I put doggy poo bags in there, toys, balls, small bottles of water, spare lead, my keys ...... anything I don't want to carry basically :hug:

This one is a large size and wasn't expensive from memory.

I was looking at getting one of these, would they be ok to use on a pup? (pup being 6 month old Lexi) or should I wait until she more grown before using one on her?

so how do these backpacks go if your dog likes to roll over alot to greet everybody or just scent up with the latest dead fish perfume at the beach?

I guess you will end up with a very dirty and fish smelling backpack

Oh, and dont pack anything crushable in it lol

I put doggy poo bags in there, toys, balls, small bottles of water, spare lead, my keys ...... anything I don't want to carry basically :hug:

I was looking at getting one of these, would they be ok to use on a pup? (pup being 6 month old Lexi) or should I wait until she more grown before using one on her?

Can't see a problem there but maybe don't put anything too heavy in the saddle bags for example water - I have two small bottles and put one in each side but my dog is a tall 32kg.

Zero has a ruffwear palisades pack. I don't use the backpack side of it anymore but it's wonderfully made and I use the harness part of it (the packs unclip).

Packs on:

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

Packs off (harness):

IMG_5238.jpg

If you don't mind me asking why don't you use the backpack part anymore?

Zero has hip problems and arthritis - he doesn't need to carry around any extra weight. In fact, we're trying to do the opposite.

I would definitely recommend it as a backpack/harness though. The packs have skins in them for water so you can make them even on either side and get the dog to carry heaps of water with him :hug:

I put doggy poo bags in there, toys, balls, small bottles of water, spare lead, my keys ...... anything I don't want to carry basically :laugh:

Can't see a problem there but maybe don't put anything too heavy in the saddle bags for example water - I have two small bottles and put one in each side but my dog is a tall 32kg.

It would really just be to carry my keys, phone, a ball and a fold up bowl, plan is to start walking my girls to the agility oval when we are all fit enough, its about an 8km walk, if Lexi can carry that stuff it will save me, there is water at the oval, and she rests while Tess is training

ETA

Wow, Petitude has this one on special, only $19.95, 50% off retail, even if the bag isnt a 'good' one it will at least let the dog get used to it, saves spending big $$$ on one to find your dog wont tolerate it lol

Edited by GoldenGirl85

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the Outward Hound one. I put it on my jack russell and add some light weight to it. She is high energy and reactive.

She seems to enjoy it as she trots at a nice pace. Don't do it all the time just when the walks are a little shorter.

• 3 weeks later...
Bump so people can see what backpack we chose in the end. Extremely happy with it, love the extra padding underneath the body so the straps do not rub. Have not used it in the car yet, but looking forward to it.

So what did you choose in the end?