Buster Ate A Chilli

D4DOGZ

Buster picked a chilli ( not one of my hottest ) of a bush when i tried to get it off him he thought it was a game so ran and ate it, seeds and all!

I did a search on the net and got conflicting advice as usual, did a search here but couldn't see anything, so is it bad other than a hot mouth?

He has been drinking a lot more than usual, as you'd expect I thought if i game him a little bit of milk maybe it could help.

But then i have heard milk in humans doesn't help need to use Vodka ( can't give him that :shrug: )

Any advice would be great thanks heaps

Buster picked a chilli ( not one of my hottest ) of a bush when i tried to get it off him he thought it was a game so ran and ate it, seeds and all!

I did a search on the net and got conflicting advice as usual, did a search here but couldn't see anything, so is it bad other than a hot mouth?

He has been drinking a lot more than usual, as you'd expect I thought if i game him a little bit of milk maybe it could help.

But then i have heard milk in humans doesn't help need to use Vodka ( can't give him that :shrug: )

Well I don't really know the answer but when you have a really hot curry the side dish to calm the palete is a yoghurt based something so perhaps a natural yoghurt ?? Banana also works for humans too.

I would expect him to feel hot somewhere else later tonight or tomorrow.

I would expect him to feel hot somewhere else later tonight or tomorrow.

:mad

I normally have a glass of milk with my hot curries, or yoghurt, or just plain rice even.

Oh my, me thinks he may go down in a burning ring of fire. :)

:laugh:

Don't be surprised to hear a little yelping from the backyard.

Perhaps I might get a cold pack ready for him to sit on :)

You better watch him carefully... Our friend's stupid neighbour but chillis/peppers down the side of her fence so her dog would stop trying to get under the fence.. :laugh: and our friend's dog ate one. He swallowed it and it got stuck; he was fine for a while but our friend ended up having to take him to the vet because he couldn't breathe a few hours later. The vet had to make him vomit it up. :)

So yeah, just be watching him for signs of distress.

He would be drinking a lot, it's probably burning his mouth. You could try milk or dairy based foods such as yoghurt. :)

Edited by haylz27

But then i have heard milk in humans doesn't help need to use Vodka ( can't give him that :laugh: )

Well I don't really know the answer but when you have a really hot curry the side dish to calm the palete is a yoghurt based something so perhaps a natural yoghurt ?? Banana also works for humans too.

He loves Yoghurt, he always looks forward to when i have some as he knows i will leave him some.

I gave him a nice big helping today and he loved it, so hopefully it made him feel a little better.

Esky is a freak, she'll pick chillis off the bush and eat them as if they were nothing.

And believe me they are HOT!

She didn't have any problems after she ingested them, but every dog is different, so I can't speak for all of them.

I have sprayed bitter bite on the chilli bush and hope she doesn't eat any more.

Your dog should be fine though :laugh:

You better watch him carefully... Our friend's stupid neighbour but chillis/peppers down the side of her fence so her dog would stop trying to get under the fence.. :laugh: and our friend's dog ate one. He swallowed it and it got stuck; he was fine for a while but our friend ended up having to take him to the vet because he couldn't breathe a few hours later. The vet had to make him vomit it up. :)

So yeah, just be watching him for signs of distress.

He would be drinking a lot, it's probably burning his mouth. You could try milk or dairy based foods such as yoghurt. :)

I will thanks, thank-fully he didn't swallow it whole he chewed it....seeds and all, everytime i tried to take it he thought it was a game and ran away, stopped chewed some more, this went on and on until he ate the lot excluding the stem!

I swear this dog is mad, he's never touched my plants before but he was in a real silly mood today for some reason.

I will keep an eye on him thou thanks for the warning.

can i ask (i dont eat chilli) is the outside hot? If he gulped it down and didnt open it, would it still be hot?

No the outside not hot to lick, he didn't gulp he chewed it can't work out why, maybe he's going senile or lost his taste buds!

Esky is a freak, she'll pick chillis off the bush and eat them as if they were nothing.

She didn't have any problems after she ingested them, but every dog is different, so I can't speak for all of them.

I have sprayed bitter bite on the chilli bush and hope she doesn't eat any more.

Thanks esky, did the bitter bite effect the chilli bush at all? I assume not, what is in bitter bite?

Is it like tabasco sause? we did use this on a Manchrian pear a few years ago to stop the dogs jumping into it chasing birds it worked.

Hey guys just want to say thanks, the advice ( and giggles ) is why i like you.

I appriciate all your help/Advice, weather it be by a direct post from myself or a search i have done to find a solution to an issue i have.

Now I Know i don't post a lot. thats because i search and find the answer so theres no need to ask again, is there!

Just wanted to say Thanks. :laugh:

PS, I think my poor Buster will have a sore bum a little later on, might go get him something sooooothing to sit on.

Thank-you all :cry:

My girl was the same only she would eat the plant and all........ She never had any tummy issues.