What If I Can't Find Homes For Them?

Pipsal

I need to find homes for the 'stray' dogs 5 pups that I have been raising... in the next 10 days or so as i am leaving here. They will be nearly 7 weeks old, and should be fully weaned by then as they've been eating since 3.5 weeks old.

I rang the nearest animal shelter (over 2hrs away from me), and they said they would put them up on their website to see if anyone was interested, but that they won't take them. And there is not another shelter that I know of anywhere near here (if so its a lot more than 2hrs away). i have put an awful lot of time into these pups - and I'm going to have a hard time giving them away as it is, but I thought it would be better if I took them to a shelter once they were 'raised' so that they could be re-homed so I didn't contact them before now. I don't know what to do now.

My options are:

1. Let some people in my community take them because a number of them have expressed interest - but I was determined to avoid that option as the dogs here do not have a good life in most cases, even to the nicest people....its the attitude and the role of the dog. None of them have ever even seen a vet, even when they are badly hurt, they are kicked, underfed, etc. Is it better to let them have a life that may not be long or the happiest, or no chance of a life at all?

2. Try and work out how I can take them to Brisbane with me, and maybe find a shelter there? Or homes for them....how? Advertise? That is provided I have somewhere to stay where they can be kept for the 2 weeks or so I am there, then what happens after that if they don't have homes?

3. There might be a pet shop a few hours away that said they may be able to help 'get rid of them' - I wonder whether this means find homes or not, but if it does, is this an ok option? I was hoping if they went to a shelter they would get spayed before being homed so was trying to avoid this...the pups are just beautiful, and I have spent so much time with them that I am very attached and would like to know what kind of situation they end up going to if possible.

How do breeders give up their puppies? I was looking at from the view that I can't home them all and its the best thing for them to go to a good home, but with the uncertainty of whether homes can be found I wonder whether we did the right thing trying to help them in the first place, and I'm at a loss as to what to do now. :laugh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) you are between a rock and a very hard place . Whilst you have put a LOT of thought and work into caring for these babies ... you are now aware of what an uncertain future these sort of pups have .

leaving them in the community is just repeating the cycle :) I am sorry, I have no wise advice - but will be thinking of you and those puppies.

:laugh:

Edited by persephone

It might be tough, Pipsal, but in your situation, I would be inclined to takes the pups back with me to Brisbane. I would drive so I could take my time and keep them under observation.

I say this, because knowing how you have put heart and soul into these dogs and their mum, I think it would be even tougher not to take them with you.

They might not even get into adulthood if you left them there.

I wish I could help, but I'm in Sydney.

Don't panic, it will all work out!

Just a thought.

You say you are going to Brisbane...

Could you take a really good pic of each pup.

Perhaps someone in Brisbane can call their vet and find out how much to desex boy/girl pup, making sure they would have time next week to do it.

Then put up ads all over the web for the pups for pick up in Brisbane, do an ad for each pup with the photo so they can see how cute they are! Price them at the cost of desex and they can pick them up at the vets post surgery next week while you are there?

Not sure where to put the ads but I am sure people on here will know where.

Perhaps some of the breeders on DOL could put a page on their web site about the pups to advertize them too??

Edited by shortstep

So sorry if this is a silly question but why wouldnt the shelter take them? What about a rescue group or at worst the RSPCA atleast then they would be desexed prior to rehoming?

Does seem strange they wouldn't take them, if you hand them in as strays they should have to accept them?

If you can get them to Brisbane I am sure the RSPCA at Fairfield will take them in. It is rare for puppies to be pts and usually only for health reasons. DOLers may even be able to do a tag team transport of the puppies down if necessary (depending on distance)

So sorry if this is a silly question but why wouldnt the shelter take them? What about a rescue group or at worst the RSPCA atleast then they would be desexed prior to rehoming?

Does seem strange they wouldn't take them, if you hand them in as strays they should have to accept them?

Maybe shelter was the wrong word for the place I tried? I thought it was a shelter, but it seems like maybe it is just a 'match up' service where they have animals in foster care around the place that they advertise for new homes? This is the only place in CQld that I am aware of though.

The pups will definately have better long term options if you are able to transport them to Brisbane with you. Definately the RSPCA at Fairfield OR you could contact Michelle the surrender volunteer with Best Friends Rescue which covers south east Qld. Explain to her that the pups are in a remote community where they wont get good care and need foster care and long term homes and that you are able to transport them to Brisbane. She will endeavour to find carers, BFR will do the vaccinations and desexing and find the right long term homes for the pups. I also live in Brisbane and would be more than happy to assist with transporting the pups to their foster carers once you hit Brisbane if you need it. I can't foster - already have a full house.

Best Friends Rescue - www.bestfriendsrescue.com

[email protected] - I'd contact her now to get things in place for your arrival if this is the way you want to go with things.

Do you have any photos? Could you contact some media about your situation? ACA etc? Talk back radio in Brisbane?

Some wonderful person may donate transport or desexing costs.

I am from Melbourne, are there any Dolers in QLD with media contacts??