Question About Male Dogs And Leg Cocking

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

I know there are already threads about males dog in regards to this but I'm at work and shouldn't really be on Dol! So can't search back.

I'm seeing the vet with him right after work today so I wanted to ask the advice of Dol with it on mind when we go to the vet :laugh:

Badger is 16 weeks today [how time flies] and his brother was desexed last Friday.

My question, does desexing a male at a young age stop them learning to cock thier leg? Or do netured males still start doing it well after they have been done?

Hope it makes sense!

I know there are already threads about males dog in regards to this but I'm at work and shouldn't really be on Dol! So can't search back.

I'm seeing the vet with him right after work today so I wanted to ask the advice of Dol with it on mind when we go to the vet :laugh:

Badger is 16 weeks today [how time flies] and his brother was desexed last Friday.

My question, does desexing a male at a young age stop them learning to cock thier leg? Or do netured males still start doing it well after they have been done?

Hope it makes sense!

Rover was desexed at 6 months, and he didn't start cocking his leg until he was about 2.

And then there's Riddick, who is almost 6 months, and started cocking his leg when he was about 5 months.

Alot of dogs it stops them although my friend has a dog that was desexed at 8 weeks and he lifts his leg. My male dogs are intact and one squats rather than lifting his leg, another lifts his leg, and my male puppy squats. I guess you can never be sure.

I saw Oscar cock his leg maybe once before he was desexed at 6 months. He started doing it much more often once he turned about 1. He will usually squat but sometimes cock his leg against the fence at home. Patch has cocked his leg ever since we have had him (3 years) - he wasn't desexed till not long before we got him though.

He doesn't pee when we are out and about though - I think I have seen him pee maybe twice when out on-lead and he obviously couldn't hold it in - in each case he squatted. Patch on the other hand will cock his leg on everything he can (and so we are pretty tough on letting him do it). I have stopped him just in time from cocking his leg on people's chairs and bags at cricket games :laugh:

Hope it makes sense!

No, they very well might cock their leg regardless of when they are desexed.

I know an entire male, never cocks his leg and I know an entire bitch who cocks hers.

EDT wording

Edited by Wolfsong

cocking of the leg is not directly tied to the dogs neutered status. they can cock their leg irrespective of the age they were desexed

It's not tied to gender either. I have a bitch that cocks her leg to mark. She's not unique. :laugh:

Jet cocks his leg all the time when we are on walks etc. He was desexed at 8 months old. He was doing it before then to. I was hoping it would stop after we desexed him but it didn't.

My boy started cocking his leg at 3-4 months old. He got desexed 6-7 months. Still does it when we go on our walks but squats when he is at home in the backyard :laugh:

Edited by CW EW

Guest belgian.blue

Ok wow mixed replies!

So it's really luck of the draw as to if he will do it or not. He's so cute when he squats, the look on his face then bounds away with excitment :laugh:

Well I emailed his breeder the same question as above and she has just answered .. don't expect anything from a male! He may or he may not and she suggests letting him mature/age before getting him done. Which was my first idea, to allow him to fully mature as he's going to be a big chunky Pointer.

I have an internal feeling that he may not cock, so lets see how correct I am ..

Yep, we've got a bitch that cocks her leg too. Have also had puppies cocking their legs at five or six weeks :laugh: . All of our boys do it and all of the girls over mark and both males and females scratch up the ground afterwards. We've got a male here that was de-sexed at seven months and has always mated and tied with the bitches.

I heard from somewhere that dogs learn it from other dogs. Like when we bring our dogs out, our dogs see other dogs cocking their leg to pee. Maybe they learn it that way. Just a suggestion though. I have no prove.

Kei started cocking his leg at 6 months. Now at almost 2 he sometimes squats, sometimes cocks, depending on what is more comfortable. To be honest cocking his leg doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's more accurate when he cocks his leg and doesn't miss and pee on his front feet of chest like he does somethimes when he squats :rofl: he's never cocked his leg in the house and usually pees on the same bush in the yard when he does it at home. I've never understood what the issue with leg cocking is? If they're not marking all over the place then why do people see it as a issue :laugh: