Bonnie Dog Food-new Pack = New Ingredience

yorkpark

Has anyone noticed Purina have changed the packaging of Bonnie Dog Food? Thats not all as the ingredience has also changed! The Kangaroo meat has gone and chicken is in! Purina have not told many of their retailers yet alone the many dog breeders around the country who have supported this product over many years. Demand to know the answers by calling Purina Customer Service 1800 738238. Register your feelings this week.

:thumbsup: thanks for that, I feed mainly a raw food BARF style diet, but like to have a little kibble on hand as a supplement. I was wondering why our supplier was out of Bonnie complete, and he mentioned a huge price rise with the next shipment - of about four-five dollars extra per bag!!

fifi

I feed my dogs BARF but my Greyhound is on Bonny puppy ,as this is the only food she does well on and keeps her weight.

Why is it when there is a good product that works,some mongrel comes along and changes it and usually for no other reason than to save costs :thumbsup:

I was told last week by a fellow breeder that the reason for the ingredient change is because the Roo quota has been cut to appease the greenies.

Hence lack of sufficient quantities of roo. :thumbsup:

Don't know how accurate this is, but our local pet meat places do not have much in the way of roo for sale?

I was told last week by a fellow breeder that the reason for the ingredient change is because the Roo quota has been cut to appease the greenies.

Hence lack of sufficient quantities of roo. :thumbsup:

Gee they could always come and see us.... just have to follow our nice car down the road and the roos come out in their trillions. :cool:

I in ctrl west NSW the Chillers are still buying roo like crazy, you will probably find though that it is a cost/supply issue, most of the shooters are allowed to kill 40-50 roos per night for the chillers they have to be between a certain size not too small & have a mximum weight as well, the only difference is now that this roo meat is going for human consumption, mainly overseas, and even though the shooters are only getting 70c/kg, the chillers are getting close to 2.50 - 3.00 /kg.

Mind you on the cull I went on at home over Christmas there was 10 guys = 400 roos, but half were that worm infested they were not any good for consumption.

Jacqui

Thanks for that I will look into the reasons why they have changed their ingredients, I have used bonnie for years and years, seen the new packet and just thought well okay, new design etc!! Mine have done well on bonnie from day one, bit disappointed about the change of ingredient without telling us. I will call them for sure, and ask some questions, Workndog I to use bonnie puppy for condition on one of my girls, and to bring puppies up on it as well and its a great product, dont know if they still sell bonnie headstart it was fantastic stuff as well.

Disappointing that the company has not announced changed ingredients, I started using bonnie cause it had the roo in it, not too happy about chicken probably all the shit parts of the chicken again like feathers, entrails, beaks, feet etc, very disappointing. Again thanks for making us aware.

Bonnie Working Dog still has Roo in it, the new one is called Bonnie Adult which has chicken. Although the "meat" is the second in the ingredients the first being whole grains,I always look for a dry food that states as #1 ingredient meat from chicken which means that there is far more meat than grains in the dry food.

But there is still the Bonnie with Roo as I seen it yesterday at pet barn..

We stopped using it when it became "American owned" too persephone.

and yes ..."if it's not broke don't fix it..." as the saying goes.

We had used Bonnie for years until it became fashionable and highly advertised..continued to do so until the dogs started turning up their noses..discovered Purina had got hold of it and regardless of what they told us over the phone..it was still a different content.

Cheers,

Dianne

Bonnie are not the only ones. About mid 2004 another major brand named dog food changed all its packaging to a new up market design.

It was not the only thing they changed. We had sick puppies and and adult bitch :thumbsup: .

When we took them to the vet we were told we were not the first to go to the vet that week after feeding this food.

and yes ..."if it's not broke don't fix it..." as the saying goes.

This is very true.

Why do they change a good product when the people who use it are happy or they would not use it??

The official line from the company was this:

"New packaging is the only change that has been made to our product. We have changed our packaging to reflect our corporate image and to compete equally in an ever changing market place. Rest assured no changes have been made to the content of the product."

REST ASSURED............. right. We changed our food.

Gail

"New packaging is the only change that has been made to our product. We have changed our packaging to reflect our corporate image and to compete equally in an ever changing market place. Rest assured no changes have been made to the content of the product."

Gail..yep and little pink piglets grow wings and fly.. WE CHANGED TOO.

Hence lack of sufficient quantities of roo. 

We were told this by a produce store where OH purchased a bag when we had run out and couldnt get to our regular supplier.

My regular supplier is between 5 and 7 dollars cheaper than most other suppliers so will try not to run out in future !!

Sadly it might bite them on the bum. So far my dogs are eating it, not that labs are known to be fussy eaters.... :eek:

Bonnie headstart is no longer available which is a shame as I used it for my own dogs when they were puppies and for their puppies as well. I tried the Bonnie puppy but did not like it at all. The biscuits seem drier and harder.

Oh well - someone else now gets my puppy biscuit business !!

We're feeding our little guy a puppy mix and meat/veg/rice combo which I make up. Once the dry pup food runs out we were going to start on Bonnie as it has been recommended by a few people.

So, what now?!

Have you heard about Nutrience dog foods? That's the kibble we use, because their Derma formulation is the only kibble that doesn't make Diesel's skin flare up again. We also used their Original formula for our other dog. There are heaps of different formulations. We buy ours in bulk from PetBarn. I'd reccomed their products to anyone.

Nutrience

Edited by dieselchick007

when we could'nt get Bonnie last week, I tried my guys on a small snack of the food we used to use years ago, another one that has recently become popular and upmarket...

well, by the next morning - yellowy runny poo everywhere! mmmmm, and I used to raise my wolfies on this stuff up to five years ago (now has a tv vet advertising it)

I try to stick as close to a raw meat & vegie diet as possible, but need a good kibble on hand to supplement.

fifi

I phoned the bonnie/purina/nestl'e advice line, the person I spoke to admitted that it is partly a cost cutting measure.

we bought one of the new bags ($5.00 dearer) and the first ingredient now listed is cereal & bran! very bad for breeds like mine, who are prone to bload/GDV

the bonnie person I spoke to, said she hadnt had much feedback from people who objected to the change, and if we were unhappy - they would need substantial customer feedback to go to management.

The only way I could approximate the bonnie complete, would be to buy a bag of the working dog & the new one & mix!!! wont be doing that though - will have to research some other brands.

fifi

Bonnie has never agreed much with my dogs, within a week they have runny poos, Supercoat gives some hotspots, so my guess is this new Bonnie with the wheat product added as the number 1 ingredient will do the same using that crappy filler.

I feed all of mine bar my boy and my baby BARF, the other two get Advance and not a hotspot to be seen.

If Bonnie wants to cut costs they will do being do so to spite their faces, many will switch, once they read what is now in the bag.