Other People Feeding Your Dog

LDR

No one is allowed to give treats to my guys either unless i ask.

Via the kennels we are seeing so many dogs now that are diabetics .

We read on here all the time about dogs who have suffered from Pancreatitis

Breeds with issues etc etc.

I dont see any reason to feed some else,s dog food .

BUT I demand a quiet sit or down before I give anything out. That counter-acts me giving out treats, right?

And if they dont do what is asked they get nothing???

My guys dont sit or drop so your demands would be greeted with a dont bother

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The neighbours at Mum's house continue to throw large clumps of old bread over our fence everyday... which makes Chloe's weight loss difficult. Mum gets up at 4am sometimes to pick it up before Chloe can get to it. But they are so spiteful, that the more you ask them not to do it, the more they do it.

It makes me angry that people to do not consider that they may be causing your dog health problems, or don't care about the money and care you have to put in to counter-act their irresponsible actions (ie, just like in the cases above where there are serious allergies going on - they cause so much stress and can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars).

The neighbours at Mum's house continue to throw large clumps of old bread over our fence everyday... which makes Chloe's weight loss difficult. Mum gets up at 4am sometimes to pick it up before Chloe can get to it. But they are so spiteful, that the more you ask them not to do it, the more they do it.

It makes me angry that people to do not consider that they may be causing your dog health problems, or don't care about the money and care you have to put in to counter-act their irresponsible actions (ie, just like in the cases above where there are serious allergies going on - they cause so much stress and can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars).

I agree, its like me throwing food to their kids who may be allergic to something in that food etc, they dont seem to care but then again I took their dog home once when it got out and I never ever got a thank you or anything after that .....

My "family" free feed. :laugh:

That is, as soon as a bowl is finished they refill it :thumbsup:

Since I live with them at the moment, it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep Esky on her raw diet.

And yes it pisses me off big time

That is more than stupid :love:

It would more than piss me off. It would result in a HUGE fight and if they didn't stop, I would walk out with my dog.

Edited by Mother Moocher

Yes it peeves me no end which is why i started a thread a while back about teaching dogs to only eat on command. A good reason for this was on the weekend, i was down at a local off leash park, a family were having a bbq and of course my gannet dogs run up to where they are sitting, i call them back because i hate dogs hanging around me while i eat. They took a little bite of something offered then came running back. Half hour later, my boy ran up to them again, before i could call him back, they had given him a large piece of something. I went running over to see what he was chewing as it was taking him a while to munch on. Then i realised it was a cooked lamb chop with a huge bone in the middle, i grabbed his mouth to pull if off him but because he knew i was about to steal something yummy - he gulped it down whole - a cooked lamb chop bone!!!

I yelled at them to stop feeding my bloody dogs, especially bones and they looked at me and said "oh but they are so skinny" .... which of course winds me up even further!! Idiots. Thankfully, he isnt showing signs of an intestinal obstruction, luckily for him! Stupid me should have seen him and called him back before he got to them again, but i would never feed someone elses dog, let alone a bloddy cooked lamb bone. :thumbsup: What if he had chronic pancreatitis and was on a special diet, a lamb chop could kill a dog with chronic pancreatitis. I just dont understand why anyone would do it.

It depends on the person.

For example, I take Zero to obedience training every monday night. I'm quite happy for the other instructors and the office admin people to feed Zero. They always ask him to do something to earn it and it's usually something like devon or bbq chicken or sausage. I don't have a problem in the world with that - for an aloof breed, he's very friendly and comfortable at training and part of that is being fed by multiple people. I also don't mind if it happens at my friend's houses who are dog people - Terranik feeds Z all the time and I don't mind that at all!

That being said, if a stranger or one of the people in a class at training tried to feed him, I wouldn't let them. I would give them a serve about it too. Even my non-doggie friends I've told not to feed him and my family too. I had a young girl walk up to me the other day and ask if she could give Zero one of her wedges - it may not have hurt him but I still said no "because it could make Zero sick". My family think I'm cruel but I don't allow them to feed him either unless I'm not going to be home. They're a little too heavy handed with the kibble container. :thumbsup:

I would not be impressed if someone tried to feed my dogs without asking.

I also generally don't like other people giving Daisy commads and then rewarding her for the wrong thing I.e. Crappy heel position, sloppy sits or downs etc. So much so that the next dog I train will have totally different words for obedience so no one can stuff them up but me :thumbsup:

My Mum is the worst, she will literally put the toaster on for Timmy. :thumbsup: But I have simply stopped feeding him breakfast before visiting her and she takes great delight in making him sit first now. So at least I'm making headway ... :laugh: Actually come to think of it, she's always trying to feed *me* too! Here have a biccie, you want a scone with your cuppa? We have cake .... :love:

I also generally don't like other people giving Daisy commads and then rewarding her for the wrong thing I.e. Crappy heel position, sloppy sits or downs etc. So much so that the next dog I train will have totally different words for obedience so no one can stuff them up but me :thumbsup:

Evil Beagle just gets/steals her own food when she wants it anyway :laugh:

Edited by StaffordLove

And if they dont do what is asked they get nothing???

My guys dont sit or drop so your demands would be greeted with a dont bother

I'm not going to reward a dog that jumps up on me, barks or paws at my legs when I walk near it. That's very bad social manners and doesn't deserve a reward. If I treated a dog for acting like that, what will they do to people they meet after me? To children or the elderly or the disabled? "Oh boy, I get a treat if I jump on them!"

I don't give treats out to curry favour, I do it to help out with manners.

I don't make them sit or drop, but I do ask the owner if they can sit and if they sit, they get praise and treats, but all I want is a quiet, polite greeting before I give a treat.

I always ask the owner beforehand because my dane is allergic to chicken, and I had issues with the neighbours throwing over chicken from their bbqs in summer, so I know what it's like to deal with that sort of issue.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but as long as its not going to kill them I'm fine with it...they eat many things they shouldn't with me.I'll admit I'm not very strict with their diet at all between meals, though meals themselves are pretty strict.Yes I know...rather stupid of me and I am paying the price with Dragon's weight.

With my parents I don't mind either, its not worth to me getting in an argument and I tend to give into their dogs aswell....except one of their cavs who can put on weight like nothing else...she is never allowed treats and fed seperately.

The only thing I would worry about is with Dragon he has a tendancy to grab...not nasty or anything.Emily knows if she wants to give him something she will tell him to sit and hold it slowly towards him saying wait.He will not grab the food then and be more gentle.If a small child gave him something I would want to make sure he was told the commands first.

Have never had anyone walk past and try and feed them...not that I know at any rate. Only friends and my daughter's friends who come on playdates and as long as they don't feed them choc/lollies which Em knows not to do...its ok.

So I guess if I was out with them and someone wanted to feed them something, as long as it isn't choc/lollies I wouldn't mind.

Nope I don't like people feeding my dog. Never had random strangers try to feed him, but certain family members have a bad habit of putting leftovers and scraps in Spencer's bowl after I've already fed him. Spence's bowl is kept on the floor in the mudroom which he doesn't have free access to luckily.

When we attended training classses people would sometimes ask if they could give him a treat after class or at the Christmas party etc and I'd usually agree cos it wasn't a regular occurence. Spence would happily eat treats that he considered to be as good as or better than the ones I had. But if he deemed the treat inferior, he would take it from the person very politely and then gently place it on the ground lol

Evil Beagle just gets/steals her own food when she wants it anyway :laugh:

Hahahaha she certainly does :love: :love:

A short whiles ago i found my my dogs snuffling in the bushes, my neighbour had thrown over about 20 cooked rib bones and they were trying to get as many as possible in their mouths as i was thinking what are they doing?

This wasn't the only time, once i heard a big thud and found a joint of pork in the middle of the garden and thought who the hell would do that, i even thought someone might want to poison my dogs, paranoia!

My neighbour blamed his kids! then when out at the pub he confessed to my girlfriend that it was him feeding them!

I was not happy because having a 1 year old male who's getting a little food aggressive (working on it) with our 4 year bitch (the boss) is a recipy for disaster! let alone constipation, split bones etc...

He loves my dogs because his wife made him get rid of his, as they never trained or looked after him.

Some poeple just don't understand!!

I hate it. A few years ago when I was living alone with my now dearly departed dog Cody, my neighbours used to throw bread over the fence. I got so sick of it I just threw it straight back over. They stopped. :)

It drives me up the wall! Not only because I like to know what my dogs are eating and when, but because tidbits and treats cause obesity, diabetes and other diseases.

One of my dogs is extremely fear-aggressive (he was abused) and he will not be handled by anybody except me. People always try to win him over with food but he is not interested; I trained him to accept food only from me and my sister. We snap our fingers as the signal for it being OK for him to eat.

Our other three dogs will take food from just about anybody. I'm known as the 'treat nazi' in my family because I yell when I catch tidbits being given. The only thing I don't mind is raw chicken offcuts, but I then subtract that from their evening meal.

The other thing with people feeding your dogs is the teeth problems. My dogs have clean, white teeth because all they eat is their raw diet supplemented by bones, wholegrain biscuits etc. :):