Does Your Dog React To Dogs On Tv?

Michelleva

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to why some dogs watch TV and others don't...I thought it had something to do with placement of the eyes on some dogs. Jane's eye are fairly centred and closeish together so maybe her central vision is better than dogs that have eyes further apart. So my theory is eye placement PLUS a natural overt curiosity in the world around her. Gus's eyes are further apart and he is a more introverted fella...no interest in the telly what so ever!

Wonder if the new flat screens with their superior sound also means that more dogs show interest????

It must have been the latest episode of Dog Whisperer! Kuma had the same reaction, he was sound asleep and when that little dog started barking he jumped up and sniffing the TV trying to find it! He also goes looking for dogs that disappear from the TV screen... he gets really bewildered when the can get away from him!

Depends on his mood... sometimes he couldn't give a fig, but other days he goes absolutely mental!

Here's Kivi watching tv:
He was doing lots of cute head cocks because there was a dog crying on the show. That's the only time he's ever paid much attention to the tv. Although he went through an odd phase where he would leap up barking madly whenever there was a little electronic sound in a show. It was the bomb activator on the last Batman movie that started it all. Watching Torchwood or Dr Who became difficult!

That was sooooo cute :laugh:

Inspector Rex is banned in our house. I cannot watch any program with animals on it if Mini is in the room. She's a fearsome watchdog when it comes to guarding against animals on the telly, so much so that sometime Grumpy cracks the shits with her.

Ours use to react and watch any cats that ere on the shows and then would try and look behind the tv to see where they went. She eventually decided it was some weird human trickery and the cat ws not really there - however will still watch occasionally if dogs are there or a really distressed cat. Other day she was staring and cocking her head at something that didn't have any animals in it (was a wide shot of some sort) & use to watch the zoom zoom ad a few years back.

However head shot of a person and its instant loss of interest in the TV .

Ebon doesn't really look at the TV at all but will respond to sounds coming from it, when the world dog games was on and he heard the flyball EJS beeping he leaped to his feet ready to go! Princess on the other hand really responds to images on the TV, especially dogs. The funniest was when she decided she wanted a piece of a tiger on the TV!

keva watches tv and if a Predatory animal come on thats it she is offgrowling and then barking and backing away from it she is letting us know that we are being stalked by something she hates any of the big cats they get the biggest reaction from her last night she sat and watched avatar with us

Are female cavaliers prone to barking when viewing hairy objects on the television? lol. I have owned a couple of cavaliers who always made a point of barking when seeing any animal on tv, both were females. I now have another cavalier (female) who also barks at the tv; it doesn't matter whether its a dog, bear or whatever, if its of the animal kingdom she has to have her say, lol.

Charlie.. Nothing. he has no interest in watching tv at all.. he rather snooze. any dogs or animal on the tv.. he doesn't care.

Emmy will bark if she hears sirens in the tv... she tries to growl and howl at the same time, although she sounds like a teenage boy who's voice is breaking trying to sing... :laugh: . Sometimes if the dogs bark, she will barks back.. but mostly she will lay on the couch and watch... just in case they come out of the tv or something.

As to why some dogs watch TV and others don't...I thought it had something to do with placement of the eyes on some dogs. Jane's eye are fairly centred and closeish together so maybe her central vision is better than dogs that have eyes further apart. So my theory is eye placement PLUS a natural overt curiosity in the world around her. Gus's eyes are further apart and he is a more introverted fella...no interest in the telly what so ever!

Wonder if the new flat screens with their superior sound also means that more dogs show interest????

There was an article on Catalyst a while back talking about this. Researchers had found that dogs with long noses and eyes on the sides of the head had focal regions of the retina arranged in a band across the back of the eye so responded to movement all the way across their field of vision whereas flat faced dogs with the eyes oriented more forwards had circular focal areas more like humans with the same poor peripheral vision so seemed to respond to things they could focus on in the centre of their field of vision like movement on a TV. The theory is that the long nosed dogs are better at hunting, because they can see prey clearly right across their field of vision, whereas the short nosed dogs, generally bred as companion animals, may be better at focussing on and reading human faces. You can find the transcript of the article here.

There was an article on Catalyst a while back talking about this. Researchers had found that dogs with long noses and eyes on the sides of the head had focal regions of the retina arranged in a band across the back of the eye so responded to movement all the way across their field of vision whereas flat faced dogs with the eyes oriented more forwards had circular focal areas more like humans with the same poor peripheral vision so seemed to respond to things they could focus on in the centre of their field of vision like movement on a TV. The theory is that the long nosed dogs are better at hunting, because they can see prey clearly right across their field of vision, whereas the short nosed dogs, generally bred as companion animals, may be better at focussing on and reading human faces. You can find the transcript of the article here.

Thats interesting, because Georgia definitely has a very long nose. :laugh:

Yes, sometimes but it's mostly my beagle x that does. :)

I was watching an episode of It's Me or the Dog on the computer the other night and there was a GSD on there who was growling and barking. Both of my dogs woke up straight away (they were sleeping on my bed) and ran to the window and started going ballistic. Mind you this was at nearly 3AM. :laugh:

Another thing that happened a few months ago was when we got our new plasma tv. You know how there's a screensaver on the TV when the DVD player is left on for a while, and the DVD logo bounces around the screen? Indi was laying there watching it; she was almost hypnotized... and then she suddenly leaped at the TV and nearly knocked it over!!! :idea:

Joey always yaps/growls at funny animations, some people and animals on tv. He's our bad tv detector LOL

The other day I had the tv volume down and I noticed he was growling at the screen. I couldn't see why he was going on so much. Then i looked closer at the corner of the screen, and there was a dog on a lounge, but you could only see its backside. He had still managed to work out it was a dog ! LOL (it was on the Circle on channel 10)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

OMG...Jane is a shocker with watching the TV. No fun if we are watching an animal docu as she can get quite excited! We have a TV on the wall and she has been known to watch the action on the docu and then when the animal goes off screen, she has run to the next room behind the wall the TV is mounted on to find out where the animal went!!!!

My idiot does the same thing or she stands there waiting for it to come out the side of the TV

Absolute tool

This was a very interesting article for me to read. I attended a lecture not long ago which referred to the studies involved. It refers to not only skull structure but the study of the retina. What was not discovered until later is that some breeds (mostly retriever gundogs), not only have the longer retina band but a widened area in the centre of the band which enables them to have both good distance/movement vision but also see things in more detail, hence the reason why many gundogs are excellent hunters but also very human oriented.