Does Your Dog React To Dogs On Tv?

Michelleva

I just turned an episode of The Dog Whisperer on TV while Georgia was asleep at my feet. Within minutes she jumped up and put her front feet up on the TV cabinet and was intently watching the show, then started barking at the dog which was on TV. We just cracked up laughing. :( She's barked before when the show is on, but never gone up and watched so carefully, it was hilarous!

So do your dogs react like this too?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kei barks at the wombat on the old RSPCA add then looks behind the TV for it. He likes watching Leerburg vids too. Unfortunately never learns anything though :(

The rest he doesn't seem to care about unless there is a lot of barking on the TV then he might come in for a look and occasionally bark back.

OMG...Jane is a shocker with watching the TV. No fun if we are watching an animal docu as she can get quite excited! We have a TV on the wall and she has been known to watch the action on the docu and then when the animal goes off screen, she has run to the next room behind the wall the TV is mounted on to find out where the animal went!!!!

OMG...Jane is a shocker with watching the TV. No fun if we are watching an animal docu as she can get quite excited! We have a TV on the wall and she has been known to watch the action on the docu and then when the animal goes off screen, she has run to the next room behind the wall the TV is mounted on to find out where the animal went!!!!

Now that is funny. :(

:(@ Jane, funny girl.

Two of mine are reactive to tv, Bronson will bark at other dogs but Lacy will bark at any animals. However she will bark at the dogs on Cesar but when she sees him she is mesmerized and will sometimes just sit and actually watch the tv intently.

The other two don't react at all.

Yep my dog Tilly reacts to dogs and other animals on tv. The dog whisperer episodes normally get most of her attention, then she'll also watch things like meerkat manor. She even went up to the tv the other day when she saw an animation of the silhouette of an elephant walking across the screen.

Tilly also watches youtube if I play clips of dogs, puppies, wolves or cats, etc.

Tilly watching wolves on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFu9lNFWs58

Kei barks at the wombat on the old RSPCA add then looks behind the TV for it. He likes watching Leerburg vids too. Unfortunately never learns anything though :(

The rest he doesn't seem to care about unless there is a lot of barking on the TV then he might come in for a look and occasionally bark back.

Billie loves that wombat too! She likes old westerns (runs back and forth in front of the tv when horses are on), some animal programs and the start sequence of Get Smart...doesn't matter what she is doing, if she hears the music she runs over and is completely transfixed by it.

I've noticed lately that she will sit in front of the tv in the morning (I don't usually put it on) and look over her shoulder at me until it goes on. OH must have it on for her when he is home.

Ava watches TV, not just animals. She likes the World Cup. Once she was watching UFC (mixed martial arts) and the shot changed to a headshot of one of the contestants, and she got a fright and ran away :shhh:

Satchmo doesn't watch TV at all but he does listen to animal sounds :) The best are cats (even fake cat sound effects), he always goes looking around the house and yard for the cat he heard :mad

Edited to add: Does anyone have any theories as to why some dogs seem to watch, some seem to listen, and some don't pay attention at all to TV??

Edited by wuffles

archbearandcaroot001.jpg

Very cute Mrs T :shhh: love his concentration :mad Tana is the most TV reactive Lab I have had, not only to any dogs barking but TV in general. He seems fascinated by it and I catch him quite often watching it and when something really takes his fancy he goes right up to the screen for a close look and sometimes licks it :)

Riley doesn't seem to react at the TV at all.

My mother in law's dog however goes nuts. There was a home video on the tv which he was on, and he saw himself and starting growling and running at the tv etc

Thats funny Mrs T.

I've got an update on what Georgia and I watched last night. The episode which we watched featured Jillian, from the biggest loser US.

A bit of background, Georgia is a nearly 6 month old sheltie whose been trying to herd my 5yo son everytime he rides his bike in the backyard. She goes mental barking her head off, trying to bite the wheels, basically trying to herd Bailey. The way she behaves very much looks like what they would do to round up sheep, which I understand is totally natural and instinctual to them.

The episode last night had a dog that was doing the same thing but with horses. Caeser firstly put the dog on a lead and had the dog under control. Then he let the woman riding the horse hold the LONG lead and the dog just walked calmly next to the horse.

So just now Georgia was doing her usual barking, super excited thing because Bailey was on his bike. I thought I'll go out there and try and get her to calm down, nope wasn't happening. So then I got the lead and she sat next to me watching Bailley on the bike, and was MUCH calmer. At that point I remembered what Caeser did last night and told Bailey to stop in front of me. I got him to hold the lead in his left hand and slowly start riding the bike. Well low and behold Georgia calmly ran beside the bike.............. I'm still in shock that it worked, INSTANTLY!!!

Go Caeser and Go Me!!! :shhh:

Hubby was inside looking out the kitchen window like this. :mad

Here's Kivi watching tv:

He was doing lots of cute head cocks because there was a dog crying on the show. That's the only time he's ever paid much attention to the tv. Although he went through an odd phase where he would leap up barking madly whenever there was a little electronic sound in a show. It was the bomb activator on the last Batman movie that started it all. Watching Torchwood or Dr Who became difficult!

Erik on the other hand is frequently interested in what's on television. He especially dislikes bears, apparently. I often wonder if different breeds have instinctive fears.

Does anyone have any theories as to why some dogs seem to watch, some seem to listen, and some don't pay attention at all to TV??

My television watching dog Tilly is pretty switched on and alert to everything around her that she sees/hears. Whereas, my other dog Jessie, who does not react to tv is pretty laid back and lazy most of the time, so she probably just can't be bothered watching. :shhh:

Both of them are clever, but Tilly is far more alert.

Edited by fainty_girl

My older Cav loves barking or growling at the dogs on telly meanwhile he will be climbing on our laps and shaking! It doesn't have to be a barking dog either, it can be a dog on on mute! Makes it very hard to watch animal rescue!

:shhh: