Have Organised To Get Pups To Brisbane - Now I'm Told Very Strongl

Pipsal

After everything that has happened (see previous posts), I have organised to get the pups down to Brisbane this weekend, at great expense to myself, but I was content that it was the best option. I had a shelter lined up to take them sometime next week if I hadn't' found homes for them. The plan was to take them to a vet Saturday for a check, then find homes for them. My parents were speaking to the vet about the situation today, and he was horrified (the same vet practice I have my appt with and had rung earlier in the week and asked all sorts of qns about whether my dog could get anything from them and all I was told was ear mites as she is treated for the rest of it). He said what were the pups saved for in the first place and that they need to be taken straight to an RSPCA as soon as they get here where they will probably be put down.

He says that if the mother dog was not vaccinated then they probably have all sorts of diseases and that I should not find homes for them because it could be bringing the diseases down with them and that they should stay where they are. And not to come into any contact with their excrement - not to get it on shoes or anything because it will spread things. And that I should not be finding homes for them myself because of the disease etc.

What can I do?! I couldn't deal with doing something that might hurt my own dog who is in Brisbane - so what do I do? Is this a general concensus - is what he says true? I am arriving very late Friday night, and the only place open will be an RSPCA - but should I even take them in my car if they are that diseased (I've been holding them etc for weeks..)????

These pups appear to be strong and healthy - they are super active, alert and clever etc, and I was almost wanting to keep one myself! I don't know how you rescue people do this all the time, this has been a horrible emotional rollercoaster and once again I am at a loss....

If they haven't died whilst in your care and you've wormed them, then there is very little chance of them passing on anything to other animals. Sacroptic mange would more than likely have reared it's ugly head by this stage, the same for parvo, distemper, corona and kennel cough.

Vaccinated and given 10-14 days, they will be ready to rehome.

After everything that has happened (see previous posts), I have organised to get the pups down to Brisbane this weekend, at great expense to myself, but I was content that it was the best option. I had a shelter lined up to take them sometime next week if I hadn't' found homes for them. The plan was to take them to a vet Saturday for a check, then find homes for them. My parents were speaking to the vet about the situation today, and he was horrified (the same vet practice I have my appt with and had rung earlier in the week and asked all sorts of qns about whether my dog could get anything from them and all I was told was ear mites as she is treated for the rest of it). He said what were the pups saved for in the first place and that they need to be taken straight to an RSPCA as soon as they get here where they will probably be put down.

He says that if the mother dog was not vaccinated then they probably have all sorts of diseases and that I should not find homes for them because it could be bringing the diseases down with them and that they should stay where they are. And not to come into any contact with their excrement - not to get it on shoes or anything because it will spread things. And that I should not be finding homes for them myself because of the disease etc.

What can I do?! I couldn't deal with doing something that might hurt my own dog who is in Brisbane - so what do I do? Is this a general concensus - is what he says true? I am arriving very late Friday night, and the only place open will be an RSPCA - but should I even take them in my car if they are that diseased (I've been holding them etc for weeks..)????

These pups appear to be strong and healthy - they are super active, alert and clever etc, and I was almost wanting to keep one myself! I don't know how you rescue people do this all the time, this has been a horrible emotional rollercoaster and once again I am at a loss....

Sorry Pipsal but do you live in another country. :D :) ;) :(

Sure Mum is probably not vaccinated, but once you vaccinate the pups they will be okay.

What do you plan on doing about Mum??

They do need to be kept separate from other dogs until their vaccinations have kicked in but more for their protection. Anvet Kedron 33591812 would be more than happy to vaccinate these puppies for you (I rang and asked). The only other thing you may wish to do is give them an additional worming this evening to make sure they aren't bringing any worm burden from there to here and pop some Advocate or Revolution on them as it will start to treat for sarcoptic mange if they have any of that.

I can't understand why your vet would have made such a fuss.

Edited by Ams

Pipsal- yes, they do need quarantine -ie: keeping them away from your dog/s etc until they have been vaccinated. But, as said.. they would have shown signs of illness before now if they had any nasties.

Are they travelling by your car or with a company? Unvacc'd pups travelling would be a bit of a worry for me.. they are vulnerable to whatever may be lurking in crates, etc .... Tho I would hope crates are disinfected etc.

The vet certainly got his/her knickers in a knot!!!

Thanks for your repsonses and reassurances.....I have calmed down a bit now. Can't believe that sort of 'bombshell' was dropped on me less than 24hrs prior to travelling to Brisbane. I love my own dog like a child and only get to see her when I am in Brisbane (because I won't bring her up here), and then I find out that I might be risking her - and after I had rang her vet on Monday to check if there were any potential issues for her before confirming my plans.

I ended up ringing the vet myself tonight and talked to him about it. My parents were fairly accurate in what they passed on to me - he was very negative and said they could have some diseases which would render them 'put down' candidates. In his defence, a small part of it was my mothers freak out and lack of understanding also, but it did have me really worried for my own dog as well as the pups future....and I must admit I am still a bit unsettled. But at this stage they will still be travelling down tomorrow and I will have them on the weekend at my house and keep my dog with my parents. Not sure if I should advertise now or not because the vets strong push for RSPCA to deal with it because I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving people puppies that might be sick and die, etc.

The vet said that if I am going to put them into a shelter then there is no point paying to get them checked etc (although I kind of want to know for my own piece of mind if they are ok, especially if going to a shelter). If I get them 'vet checked' - its going to cost me around $160 for all, plus $20ea for injection (plus consultation time to do that). Thanks again Ams for contacting Anvet - I wonder what they charge to vet check them all, maybe I could pay them for that if they are so generously offering the vaccinations? Showing my ignorance here, but will a 'vet check' be able to tell if they have any problems, or any of these diseases that will get them put down? Some of the diseases are treatable I'm told, but shelters won't pay for it because it is very expensive...maybe if I paid for it they would do it? (I'm sure I sound like I'm made of money, but at the moment I really can't afford all of this but I just can't rest easy if I don't do everything I can - giving them up at all is going to be so hard!).

Unfortunately I am not able to worm them again until after I get to Brisbane as I do not have any more tablets here and am heading off tomorrow evening but won't get to a town with a vet until well after they are closed. They were wormed 1 week and 1 day ago, so they are not due until next Wednesday - is it ok to wait until then or should they get it sooner as they did have worms (lesson learnt! - but the a vet practice gave tablet worming treatments for them when someone went to town and got them for me....this was for 3wk old pups, and we couldn't get them to take them so I tried again at 5wks because I didn't realise it would become such a nasty problem so young!) I'm not sure how the worm cycle goes, whether there are a new batch growing in them now because I heard the treatment only kills the adults (the vet STRONGLY recommended I worm myself also...could have been what freaked my mother out even more)? Obviously can't get the treatment for mange yet either - but at the moment they have no signs of that they have beautiful shiny coats (have seen it on a few dogs and pups around the community, but not on any for a while).

Also, I am driving the pups so they are not travelling with other dogs.

Look at how many dogs and puppies come out of pounds every day in Australia - most of them are unvaccinated too. Sure, it is possible they could be carrying something, but its unlikely given how healthy they are now. For your peace of mind, keep them in a laundry or garage at your place - a room that can easily be washed/scrubbed clean. :)

Pipsal you have misunderstood me. Anvet is not offering to do the vaccs for free, but did not have any problems with treating the pups in their surgery and did not share your vet's alarmist views re their viability at rehoming.

If you take them to a shelter you can ask that if any are to be pts that you be advised before hand and you would wish to take them back. There is no problem with this as a lot of people do it. You would then only have to find a home for the one with medical issues (if any of them have one at all).

I agree that the pups all look happy and healthy and can't see any problems with them. People who are taking the puppies from you would have to understand they are mutts and there is no health guarantee for them. Not unreasonable in the circumstances.

You are wonderful for going to so much trouble for a litter of puppies that you really have no responsibility for at all and I applaud you for that.

I am sorry but the vet that sent in into a spin sounds like they have a screw slightly loose.

People rescue dogs and puppies from horrible and unsanitary conditions every day and don't die from worm infestations, or have diseased dogs running all over. I would imagine if they were going to have mange problems etc they would have shown up by now. Yes Parvo is a risk purely because they are travelling and not yet vaccinated, but that situation is unavoidable.

Don't freak out, take a deap breathe and relax. It really isn't that much of a major drama and the alarmist vet needs a good smack under the ear!

When you rehome the puppies you can explain the situation they were in, show they are vaccinated, dewormed, flea treated etc. You can't offer guarentees for any hereditary diseases as you have no idea about the parents.

You are doing a great job that has unfortunately been a little hampered due to negative alarmist people. By all means try finding a shelter they will be accepted by as then yes they will be desexed before going to their new homes.

Goodluck and please relax.

Like others have said Pipsal there are pups rescued everyday that are in far worse condition than the pups you will be transporting. Two other no kill shelters have been suggested to you as well as the RSPCA. From the pics the pups look healthy and are attractive mixes. If they were carrying anything serious you would've seen signs of it already. Different vets will have different opinions but there are people on here with practical experience of doing exactly what you are doing that feel you will be ok with what yoyu have planned.

And given it is Friday you will probably already be on your way down with the bundles of trouble so hope the trip goes well!

Pipsal, there's very good advice from other people. And I agree with the comments about the super-negative vet. If his scenario was followed, no dog or puppy would ever be rescued.

Just adding, would you consider getting to one of the AWL Qld Vet Clinics. They're connected, of course, with the AWL Qld Shelter.

There you might get both needs covered....the puppies given their vet needs & the shelter taking them on for adoption. AWL's motto is working towards zero, so they give puppies & dogs taken in, a very good go.

One AWL clinic is in Ipswich & the other is on the site of their shelter on the northern end of the Gold Coast. Both clinics can be accessed by the general public. Let me know if you want the phone numbers to make enquiries.

You've done the best possible for those puppies & your deserve support in getting them towards a good future.

Okay I now have 2 possibly interested people, one who will be in Brisbane in the next couple of weeks and would like to meet the pups then and is very keen to take one. He is a good man, a prominent business man / media personality here and would give this dog the most fantastic life. He regularly goes camping on Keppel Island with his dogs (responsibly of course, they don't run wild) and has his own boat and is a very active man with 2 lovely young boys.

He'd be the perfect owner for one of these little beauties.

I've asked Pipsal via PM a few questions, also asked in the last thread but I'll try here - I don't suppose anyone has any idea of breed/s of the mother? I think the father is an unknown entity is that correct?

FranCQ I think Pipsal would currently be in transit to Brisbane so you might have to wait to hear back from her re the pups or you could look in her original thread which I think was about what to feed the puppes. She may have explained the breed of mum in there as the thread got quite long.

I put an ad about the puppies in our district QH newsletter and got a phone call from a lady who works in 'the' local Aboriginal settlement and lives just outside it. She wants one of the brown and white ones, doesn't mind what gender, I told her that the foster carer would strongly recommend desexing she didn't sound keen on that, she also didn't sound too keen on a home check (I'm not sure if Pipsal wants this done but I was sort of trying to sound this person out) although she said she didn't care. I can get the home check done no worries if she wants. I think the mummy dog in question, putting the pieces together, is probably from this settlement as well and I would hate to be perpetuating the problem in that town which my aunt (youth justice worker in this settlement) says is terrible. I'm making a sh*tload of assumptions though so I've taken name and number and will discuss with Pipsal :D

EDIT: She also said she's had 'lots' of puppies which I wasn't sure I liked the sound of ...

Edited by FranCQ

I work for Dept of Communities (previously ATSIS and previously Child Safety but not Youth Justice!) so I am also aware of animal issues in some of the remote communities in QLD and understand Pipsals desire to take the pups outside the problem. I had also heard that the health issues of the strays was impacting on the human residents, which I had never even thought of before but it makes sense - things like ring worms and intestinal worms can be passed on. I read slast year that the Bondi Vet Dr Chris Brown was visiting some communities up north to treat the strays for this reason. Not sure if it went ahead or whether it included desexing but what about council's role in healthy communities and animal control? Surely they have a role to play too? And by that I don't mean rounding all the animals up and euthing them! Vicious cycle.

Why not take them one of the shelters that have been suggested to you, so that they will be desexed before rehoming?

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I have been in transit with pups. :cry: All got to Brisbane safe and sound...

I contacted or tried to contact all of the shelters suggested and left messages with people and many times never had my calls returned. Some that I did get onto said they only take puppies if there are absolutely no other options, and others had a long waiting list. The only one I did any good with was Peninsula Animal Aid....they said they would take them next week (which I already had tee-ed up, but had the problem of finding somewhere for the weekend once I found out the info from the vet!).

They also arranged for me to take them to a vet today and paid to have them checked, microchipped and get their first vaccination - so thats where we've been today. All appear perfectly healthy according to vet, no noticeable problems.

They are currently sleeping....finally!:cry: