Why Does He Do It?

Marley'z Mum

hi all

Can someone please tell my why my 10wk old puppy digs at things, i.e when layin on the couch or today he was siting on outdoor swing with me an he kept pawing (diging) at the cushion, like if he was digging a hole in the ground, why does he do it? How do i stop it? An SHOULD i?

Thanks in advance :-)

I'm not sure exactly what is going through their head when they do this, but I can tell you that it's perfectly normal.

It's an instinct they are born with and a neccesary skill in the wild, so i guess like anything else he is just 'practicing' and learning survival skills from way back.

Mine do it when they are getting ready to settle and get comfortable. Also they do it at the beach and dig a hole to lay in especially when it is hot! Perfectly normal.

Because he's a dog.

because he's a puppy, learning his world.

Because when he digs, it feels good , and also releases scents which smell good .

:happydance:

If he loves digging- get him a clamshell sand pit.. and bury toys/treats for him !

Because he's a dog.

Because when he digs, it feels good , and also releases scents which smell good .

:thumbsup:

If he loves digging- get him a clamshell sand pit.. and bury toys/treats for him !

What a great idea !! :happydance: I will do just that when the weather improves a little.

Because he's a dog.

:thumbsup:

What a great idea !! :happydance: I will do just that when the weather improves a little.

You dont need to wait for the weather.

Mine has flooded a little and echo loves it just as much. It is like the beach. I tried to cover it up and she has just pulled the top off it to get back to the sand.

Her first time in the sand pit was this.

My two will dig as well to plump up what they are on to make it comfy to settle ontop of.

Edited by Evolving

My lab is now 7 months old and when she is excited she will dive into the clamshell full of water and dig the water everywhere. She loves it.

When mine were littler they used to dig the water from buckets too. :rainbowbridge:

My 8yo JRT only just started this, she had never done it before and all of a sudden she likes digging her bed lol

Mine is 1.2 months old and is always digging on the doona! Its so funny especially when you hide under the blankets and he attempts to dig you out :-D

I dont know if I would be encouraging that... I dont know what sort of dog you have or how big he is but I imagine it wont be so cute when he is fully grown

My 8yo JRT only just started this, she had never done it before and all of a sudden she likes digging her bed lol
Mine is 1.2 months old and is always digging on the doona! Its so funny especially when you hide under the blankets and he attempts to dig you out :-D

I dont know if I would be encouraging that... I dont know what sort of dog you have or how big he is but I imagine it wont be so cute when he is fully grown

LOL he is smaller then below my knees and fully grown :cry:

So yeah its still cute