Labrador Breeders

W Sibs

I have a good friend who's looking for a chocolate labrador and she wants me to help her find a good registered breeder. I have been in two minds in helping her and writing this, but I figured, there is no harm in asking this. Her situation:

1 - This dog will be an outside dog only (she won't consider crating the dog... her husband and her don't like dog smell)

2 - The dog is for their son for his 1st birthday (the baby is currently 4 months old)

3 - She is thinking of having another baby in about a year time

4 - The husband and her work full time. But she works 2 days at home though (but for how long, I don't know.. she may have to go back to the office full time in 2 months)

5 - I think (or have suggested) that she brings the puppy to her mum's place to play with the mum's dog while she looks after the baby but she isn't sure if her mum will be happy with this.

6 - Not sure about the exercise... although if her husband put in his effort on things, the pup will be walked everyday.

7 - they really really want a puppy

I'm not sure if any breeder will sell her a pup in those situation. If so, is there any good breeders that I can pass on the info to her.

She really wants a chocolate Labrador. It's the only dog that her and her husband has agreed on.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why i'm in two mind in helping her... I keep telling that she is crazy, but she is determined to get a pup. She and her husband want a dog because they believe every family should have a dog?? I dunno... tired of trying to say that she should wait and she is going to stretch herself too thin...

Edited by CW EW

That's why i'm in two mind in helping her... I keep telling that she is crazy, but she is determined to get a pup. She and her husband want a dog because they believe every family should have a dog?? I dunno... tired of trying to say that she should wait and she is going to stretch herself too thin...

Maybe she needs to ask herself what every DOG needs to grow up a happy, well mannered family pet.

How will they deal with a mouthy puppy or a jumper with such young kids??

A young Lab that doesn't get a lot of training and attention will treat those children like skittles every time they are in the backyard.

My guess is that they may get a lot of knock backs from breeders. I'd not be happy selling a dog into that situation unless the family demonstrated they were prepared to put a lot of effort into making the right home for a pup.

Do you think they would consider getting an older dog? It sounds like they don't have enough time to look after a puppy.

Nope. They want a puppy.... they think it will be cool to have the puppy and the baby to grow up together.

:rofl: They don't like dog smell? how bizzare!

How much time will they have to train the dog? Lab pups can be a lot of work as can any pup. Maybe tell her to watch Marley and Me, they might think twice after that :rofl:

Good on you for trying to help.

Labs really need to be part of the family and one left outside on it's own all the time spells disaster to me.

They also need a lot of training while young to learn how to behave around young kids, will they be able to commit to the time required?

An older dog might be a better option but even then i would recommend that the dog be allowed inside with it's family.

:rofl: by the time the kid is old enough to do anything constructive with the dog.. the dog will be middleaged and probably fat & uneducated :rofl: NOT a good combination.

A young baby- another one due just as the lab hits that adolescent/young adult stage..... my advice is like the others. NOT a good plan for ayone's sake...

Do you think they would consider getting an older dog? It sounds like they don't have enough time to look after a puppy.

Nope. They want a puppy.... they think it will be cool to have the puppy and the baby to grow up together.

That doesn't happen if the baby is indoors and the puppy outdoors.

I agree, an older dog sounds like a better option to a baby puppy.

I would be reluctant to sell a puppy to someone who does not appear to have the intention / ability to at least make an effort with puppy preschool. I recommend this to everyone, mainly for owner education to avoid people thinking that a dog who is shoved out in the yard (not that I disagree on a yard dog) will suddenly learn human rules and boundaries on its own. If they haven't got the time to train puppy in it's first year, then its only going to be down hill from there as we all know.

It also sounds like they are determined to get a pup nomatter what, so I guess it is better to try and help, and maybe educate them with some initial doggy ground work. ie: do they know what Lab puppies are REALLY like? I never hide the fact that they are usually destructive, will chew everything, can be clumsy and knock things over with their tails (including small children) etc, etc. But if they ARE willing to put in the effort to start with, they will be rewarded with a beautiful companion for themselves and their children for many years to come. :rofl:

BTW, I don't think a puppy of any breed is a suitable "present" for a baby.

If they don't like dog smell they should not get a labrador, as labs do often smell doggier than other dogs. Especially if kept outside permanently.

I think they should get a lawn ornament. :rofl:

:rofl:

Now that I think about it, I actually think it would be a better idea to get the kid a small animal like a rabbit/guinea pig/rat/ferret. They don't need as much attention as a puppy do. Plus they don't smell like a dog. :mad

As much as I hate to say this but I would be extremely reluctant to allowl these people to adopt one of my babies. We consider them as precious and special and not just to put out the back door as a trophy and looked at - sometimes.

A bored lab is a destructive lab and when it becomes destructive and they will blame the breed which in turn further damages the image of these beautiful animals in the minds of uneducated dog people.

If they do not like the smell of a dog and just want something to look at through the window I have an antique gnome here they can borrow.

Sorry - vent over.

I totally agree with you all on why she shouldn't get a dog. She doesn't like small dogs (she barely tolerates Emmy and Charlie) and uses the excuse that my house is "dirty" with fur to come over with her baby.

I totally agree with you all on why she shouldn't get a dog. She doesn't like small dogs (she barely tolerates Emmy and Charlie) and uses the excuse that my house is "dirty" with fur to come over with her baby.

So how will this baby "grow up" with a "dirty" dog that's kept outside and that will shed like demon?

I give any Lab pup they get less than 6 months before its surrendered because "it jumps on the kids". :rofl:

OMG this is a recipe for DISASTER :mad - please please try to talk some sense into your friend . Any decent reputable Labrador breeder will NOT sell a pup to this family :rofl: .

Poor dog relegated to outside and it will be neglected and starved of attention, trust me on this account :rofl: , young kid with possibly another one on the way in about a year :mad doesn't like doggy smell :) - the writing is on the wall for this one :)

Please do your utmost to dissuade them from going ahead with this as whatever Labrador they get, will ultimately end up in the Pound or Rescue. :mad

I am so sick of seeing my beautiful breed end up with families like this who do not and cannot meet a Labrador's needs and the poor dogs suffer immeasurably and end up being abandoned :mad This thread saddens me greatly :rofl: :rofl: