Chicken Frames

I've brought Misha a chicken frame after reading that they can be good for her. The wishbone is still attached and looks to me like a choking hazard as well as some bones which look a bit sharp and pointy. Am I meant to feed it to her as is or remove the wishbone or any other bones?

Edited by lillim

Guest belgian.blue

You'll that everyone feeds whole chicken frames.

My four month old Pointer eats entire frames, nothing removed.

I only give with supervision and now don't really give that often... only after hearing horror stories from my boss (vet) who had 2 dead dogs last year from chicken frames. It can happen though it is a very small risk considering the number of people who do feed them.

i buy bags of them and freeze them so they always have to defrost when i give them to my boy

When you buy bags of them, if you separate them into individual freezer bags before you freeze them, it makes things heaps easier. Then you have the option of giving them a single one frozen, or just defrosting a small number of them at a time etc.

I hate it when you have to defrost them in bulk, and then by the time you get round to feeding them the last few carcasses, they have gone all rank & stinky :)

I know how you feel Lillim. I was the same when Gus came home to us as a 14 week old from the RSPCA. I was so worried he would choke and yet Jane has been having frames for ages and loving them! Anyway I finally took a deep breathe and gave hime one and he loved it. After seeing him vacuum up his dry puppy food it was great to see him work so hard at eating the frame. He has one every other night now.