Help The Rspca Stamp Out Puppy Mills

Ker

Seriously, spot checks on simple things like making sure they have cleaned up after the dogs and there is not shit caked to the walls is a start.

:(

If only it were funny.

Seriously cleaning up takes time and effort, it costs to employee people to do it or there's the dirty job of doing it yourself. You can't tell me that shit caked to the walls and dogs standing in days/weeks/months or even years of filth, meets POCTA, CAA or any council requirements ?

I just want to know if ethical breeders are going to be caught in the 'abolish the puppy farm' net before I sign anything.

I had a run in with an animal rights activist/extremist who said, "if ethical breeders are a casualty then it's a small price to pay." Ummm... then where do people get their dogs from?

Of course you're going to get that from animal rights people, the RSPCA aren't an animal rights group so what animal rights people have to say isn't really relevant in this instance. (unless of course you find something in the campaign which aligns with that view)

Except for the fact that she touts herself as a very proud RSPCA volunteer and supporter to push her agenda.

Asking breeders to clean up shit caked on the walls isn't going to stop puppy farming.

I can see where the problems lie in policing it, because as it stands now, there are few or no rules to police dog breeding, and when you start defining a puppy farmer in words, a lot of ethical registered breeders will start to fall into the same category.

Bear these points in mind when discussing the subject.....

There is no law against breeding lots of puppies.

There is no law against cross breeding dogs.

There is no law regarding the health testing of dog breeding stock.

There is no law regarding who puppies are sold to.

There is no law about how breeding dogs and their puppies should be kept beyond the very, very basic food, water, shelter and a small amount of space.

Once these points start to be addressed, there is often a blurred line between puppy farmers and some ANKC registered breeders.

Edited by GayleK

Asking breeders to clean up shit caked on the walls isn't going to stop puppy farming.

I can see where the problems lie in policing it, because as it stands now, there are few or no rules to police dog breeding, and when you start defining a puppy farmer in words, a lot of ethical registered breeders will start to fall into the same category.

There is no law about how breeding dogs and their puppies should be kept beyond the very, very basic food, water, shelter and a small amount of space.

Once these points start to be addressed, there is often a blurred line between puppy farmers and some ANKC registered breeders.

Sorry but in Victoria most of those points are LAW..........they can do lots if they really want to!!!

I would sign a petition to get rid of the RSPCA before I signed one about puppy farmers

Gotta say that something good came from this.

I linked this in my facebook, and added some comments about puppy farms.

Friend of mine noticed the link, looked them up and was disgusted! He had no idea that pet store puppies came from places like that.

So if people can learn something from this, I don't really think it can be that bad?

I really think this is a hard one to fix...I reckon they need to make the lowest standard of care of dogs higher than it is now and they do need to hire honest pple to police and enforce these standards. I also think maybe even pet shops should be banned from selling pets that do not come from animal shelters or registered breeders

until stronger rules and penalties apply its just going to continue as it is

I signed it, what i got from the site was that they just want enough signatures then they will go to the government to have the laws regulating the conditions etc. tightened. which is what i believe needs to happen for anything to change

Correct. If the council employed dog savvy people they would soon be closed down. "Some" of the people that do inspections may know no better themselves. How many times do you hear people say about "some" council or other employees ....why would you send that idiot to do the job they wouldn't know any better in the first place. Because I have.

But if the establishment they've been sent to inspect meets the legislative guidelines, then they can't do anything. And the legislative guidelines for keeping companion animals is a lot different to how you, I and most other DOL'ers keep animals.

They can't take action based on their opinion, they can only take action if the establishment doesn't provide basic needs for the animals according to the legislation, and their basic needs are food, water, shelter and space to turn around.

If they have the relevant permits and are a registered business, there's nothing they can do. If they are shut down based on someones opinion, they can appeal and if they are found to be operating within the legislation they can just re-open and keep trading.

The legislation needs to be changed and what constitutes a puppy farm needs to be defined because as it stands now, there is no definition of a puppy farm.

agreed. They have shelter and food and water, what will the RSPCA do, um, try nothing...I see the billboards and signs of the poor puppy mill pups and think to myself, well what have YOU done to make this better RSPCA?? Oh make more signs and billboared. Sigh.

Im not happy to just accept that some of those photos are breeding dogs or puppies from large scale breeders just because they present them as such.

In my opinion dogs shouldn't be chained up ever but around here thats the norm especially for working dogs. Usually working dogs are left all day chained to a small kennel and are only let off when they're moving sheep etc. The photo with the dog chained to the car is no evidence the dog was any worse off than any dog in any yard or paddock thats chained anywhere in Australia. Whats the difference between chaining it to a bumper or a tree or leg of a kennel? What does it matter if its used for breeding or not ? What does it matter whether its living at a place that has puppies? Wouldn't it be better to petition for people to stop chaining dogs up - any dogs? The photo with the filthy dog which obviously should have been clipped and groomed way before it got to that would be horrible whether it was a dog in someone's back yard or anywhere else.Clearly the dog is suffering and thats already covered by Prevention of cruelty to animals laws,in fact I believe the person responsible for that dog was charged.

The dog with the eye infection could have been any dog with an eye infection. If the owners had neglected to get it treatment then thats also covered in prevention of cruelty to animals laws regardless of whether its a breeding dog or where it lives.

The "puppy farmer" thats just been raided who has mini foxies - in the news forum only has a litter a year. Her dogs were not in poor condition because they were at a puppy farm or because she was a puppy framer.If she had never bred a puppy she would have still been neglecting her dogs.

Laws need to be about how treat dogs regardless of whether they are used for breeding or not - rather than carry on about special laws for breeding establishment wouldn't it make more sense to look at what laws need to change to protect dogs? How are you going to stop a breeder chaining up their stud dog when every other dog owner in Australia can tie up their dog?

Edited by Steve

I received an email from them asking for donation for this project.....

See I was right, the R$PCA are all about money, since when does the R$PCA take notice of what people think or say. :):love:

The only signatures the R$PCA want are on cheques nothing else. :rofl::rofl::)

Sorry but in Victoria most of those points are LAW..........they can do lots if they really want to!!!

I would sign a petition to get rid of the RSPCA before I signed one about puppy farmers

Could you please provide links to the Victorian legislation mentioned above?