Puppy Eating Habits

garyc

Hello all

I have a 12 week old pup that has wierd eating habits and i would like to what your thoughts are

Being 12 weeks old he is being feed three times a day and me working from home at the moment makes it a little easier.

I have nbeen told to put his bowl out and what ever is left over after 20 minutes put it away, but he nibbles a few then goes back again, for afew more then back again for a few more. He will do this right up until lunch time and then do the same with lunch.

He really doe not seem hungry in the morning

But if i were to put a raw bone in his breakfast or something like that he would scoff it and same goes with lunch

What are uour thoughts?

Hello all

I have a 12 week old pup that has wierd eating habits and i would like to what your thoughts are

Being 12 weeks old he is being feed three times a day and me working from home at the moment makes it a little easier.

I have nbeen told to put his bowl out and what ever is left over after 20 minutes put it away, but he nibbles a few then goes back again, for afew more then back again for a few more. He will do this right up until lunch time and then do the same with lunch.

He really doe not seem hungry in the morning

But if i were to put a raw bone in his breakfast or something like that he would scoff it and same goes with lunch

What are uour thoughts?

I think he's telling you what his choice is! Which would you rather eat - fresh food or highly processed, dry food?

Personally, I'd love to be able to just hand out bowls of kibble to feed my human family! Can't do it to them and wouldn't do it to my animals either.

Hi Gary and welcome to DOL. Maybe your dog needs to just be having two meals a day (depends on breed). I would give him a bone in the morning and then nothing until lunch time, leave out the lunch for 20 minutes - anything left over goes out of his sight, same again at dinner time. If you leave it to him to nibble throughout the day, he will ever get used to eating his meal and moving on.

My Labrador puppy was exactly the same! I actually thought my Lab puupy was broken :thumbsup:

He didn't seem to care about his morning biscuits, unless I added a raw egg or some yoghurt to the mix, but once he hit about 16 weeks old, he started scoffing all the food I put in his bowl.

Now he is a "proper Lab" and everything is gone from his bowl before I even have time to go back into the kitchen.

If you want to keep feeding him dry food, just keep taking the bowl away after 20 mintues. He will soon get that he has to eat all the food in the time allocated or go hungry. It is not unhealthy or cruel.

If you want to feed him raw food, there is lots of good info on this forum, just search BARF or raw diet etc.

Hello all and thank you for the replies

GoldenGirl85: your not wrong about them like thing bones more, i have been giving his the good stuff like bones, raw meat, checkien frames and so on in the evening as this i the time we are home, and trying to getting him eating a variety of dry food during the day at it is easier and wont spoil

perfect partners: yeah i get that, little bugger likes things his own way thats for sure, i would prefer giving him a mixture of raw and dry

Loraine: Hi Loraine and thank you for the welcome, i might try the 20 minute rukle as of now and try a bone in the mornings

Enigma01au: LOL on the broken Lab, i was feeling the same about htis little guy, i may also try the yoghurt in his kibble, god Labs love their food

aussielover: cheers for the heads up, i will have a good read of the raw diet information

Thanks all

Edited by garyc

GoldenGirl85: your not wrong about them like thing bones more, i have been giving his the good stuff like bones, raw meat, checkien frames and so on in the evening as this i the time we are home, and trying to getting him eating a variety of dry food during the day at it is easier and wont spoil

perfect partners: yeah i get that, little bugger likes things his own way thats for sure, i would prefer giving him a mixture of raw and dry

Loraine: Hi Loraine and thank you for the welcome, i might try the 20 minute rukle as of now and try a bone in the mornings

Enigma01au: LOL on the broken Lab, i was feeling the same about htis little guy, i may also try the yoghurt in his kibble, god Labs love their food

aussielover: cheers for the heads up, i will have a good read of the raw diet information

Thanks all

MY puppy was the same but add an egg or some mince through the kibble and it goes in no tiem :thumbsup:

Your dog has you well figured out.

feeding patterns are set by you not the dog.

Here they don't even get 20 mins ,if they don't want it in 5 mins it is removed & given again for the next feed.

Are you feeding what the breeder suggested or have you changed the diet??

Thanks all

MY puppy was the same but add an egg or some mince through the kibble and it goes in no tiem :confused:

Yep gunna try that as well, if the little bugger thinks he has me pegged HUH i say i am trying everyones suggestions that will get him

Edited by garyc

Your dog has you well figured out.

feeding patterns are set by you not the dog.

Here they don't even get 20 mins ,if they don't want it in 5 mins it is removed & given again for the next feed.

Are you feeding what the breeder suggested or have you changed the diet??

Hi

Yeah the breeder suggested a full raw diet but i would like atleast one of his meals to be dry

Try using a high quality meat-based kibble, and to temp him, you could possibly make a meaty broth/gravy from frypan leavings - boil some water in the pan after you've done steaks or whatever, and then pour into a container and refrigerate - microwave a bit of the "sauce' when needed, and drizzle some of that on the kibble to make it even more appealing...

Don't worry - your baby isn't broken, he's testing you to see if you'll start feeding him what HE likes, instead of what YOU choose... he'll be a Labrahoover sooner than you think... *grin*

T.

Try using a high quality meat-based kibble, and to temp him, you could possibly make a meaty broth/gravy from frypan leavings - boil some water in the pan after you've done steaks or whatever, and then pour into a container and refrigerate - microwave a bit of the "sauce' when needed, and drizzle some of that on the kibble to make it even more appealing...

Don't worry - your baby isn't broken, he's testing you to see if you'll start feeding him what HE likes, instead of what YOU choose... he'll be a Labrahoover sooner than you think... *grin*

T.

Hi T

LOL thank god he is not broken, I will give the gravy ago as well as some yoghurt

Thanks heaps

I have a 6 months old Frenchie that for the past 6 weeks has refused to eat anything except for chicken necks.

I have tried adding chicken mince, yoghurt, egg, cheese etc. I have also tried lamb and beef but she will not eat it. I have done the 10 minute rule and she went 4 days without eating.

Chicken necks is not the best diet but its better than nothing and I also give her nutrigel.

Leanne