Agility Training Talk Thread

My dogwalk-phobic dog did the full sized dogwalk tonight and with a fair amount of confidence :thumbsup::):sleep::thumbsup:

Well done, Ruby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:):eat:

We did it twice then quit while we were ahead, and I'll try again another night :o She's weird in that the more times you do it, the more the confidence takes a hit! I hope it's finally on the mend (for the 2nd or 3rd time :)) and wasn't just a one off! But no doubt it will eventually go again, it's just proving to be the cycle with her!

Edited by RubyStar

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I added the second lot of six poles for Jazz. She has come along so well this week and her response to the second set of sixe was pretty much

"what on earth are they?" LOL I basically back chained them in the end - did quite a few reps of the second set then went back to the first set and added the second set on. She was quite a bit slower through the second but her posture is great and I think she will finish off quite quick and stylish.

For a bit of fun I then let the nearly 10 year old and haven't done agility on over 3 years Piper have a turn. I discovered Jazz still lacks drive and speed in comparison. Piper went through them once and there wasn't a pole left upright, looked like I was using the V method instead, lol. I am so glad though that Jazz does not feel the need to use her voice on every pole like Piper does.

So my aim with Jazz over the next week is to build her speed and confidence which I think will happen quite quickly now that she is on straight poles and really hitting her entries.

This was our first ever agility workshop yesterday.

Glad you had a good time :heart: So are you an addict yet??? :kissbetter:

Kinda fell apart putting it together, he was tired and so was I! :champagne:

Don't be too hard on yourself or him. It is a MASSIVE call to take a young dog around a course before you have learnt any obstacle performance or handling. Are you allowed to take the lead off? That should help heaps next time.

Hopefully attempting a course was a one off & the next sessions will focus on teaching & rewarding correct performance & handling.

He's a beautiful dog. I have quite a soft spot for Vizslas.

I watched a run recently on youtube & decided it was worth setting up some of it, as it looked challenging. It sure was!

I don't have a map of it, but videoed the girls running it. It took us a few goes with each to get it right(ish).

The big challenge was that the dogs started with a long fast run & then had to collect for a tight bit, then extend out again & collect again into the weaves before finishing with another straight run. I nearly landed on my fat butt a few times :kissbetter: Trim's weaves are not nearly as independent as I thought they were & getting Shine to turn after a tunnel when she could see the home stretch proved quite a challenge too! We found a number of things we need to work on...that's what training is I guess :champagne:

This was our first ever agility workshop yesterday. Kinda fell apart putting it together, he was tired and so was I! :kissbetter:

If that was your first ever agility training session, I'm surprised they asked so much of you.

I agree with Vickie - lead should be off (so should the harness by the way) as it interfered with a range of obstacles.

He was a VERY good boy - quite clear he doesnt' know what's expected of him at a range of places on the course but he had a go anyway.

Weavers should always be pegged - you demonstrated why.

We didn't have to do it, we had the option not to do a full course, but he was being so good i figured why not. I know I stuffed up LOTS :kissbetter: It was just a one off workshop for fun to see if he liked it and he did, so now we can learn to do it properly.

I could take his lead off but didn't as it was our first attempt at a full course and he's only a youngin so I left it in case I needed it(which I did), and I know I should've taken his harness off too but I didn't really think about it at the time.

I am hooked already though, so I'll looking forward to the challenges of getting his obedience up to scratch, as we have to pass levels before we can do agility with the local club.. and then giving it a go properly :champagne:

But i didn't post this to have a go at everything that went wrong, I know there is plenty and we have a very very very very long way to go before we resemble anything good, I posted because I was proud of our first attempt ever and wanted to share.

But i didn't post this to have a go at everything that went wrong, I know there is plenty and we have a very very very very long way to go before we resemble anything good, I posted because I was proud of our first attempt ever and wanted to share.

You should be proud. Your dog kept trying even after having the weavers fall on him. I just said I was surprised they asked so much of both of you. To do a see saw and a full height dog walk in the first session is just about unheard of at clubs I know.

Next time if you want to leave a lead on, get yourself an agility tab or cut a cheap lead down so it hangs above his legs. It still gives you something to grab if you need to.

Its the instructors responsiblity to ensure that everything is safe for the dog and the handler. Long leads and pegging weavers are things you shouldn't have to make decisions about.

Edited by poodlefan

I think the comments are just because him stepping on his lead and having the weavers fall on him are aversive and we all care that agility dogs don't ever get aversives in foundation training if it's at all possible. :champagne:

I've been thrown in like that and it's hard on the owner and hard on the dog. :kissbetter: You don't learn as much as you could by building your foundations slowly and your confidence can take a bit of a nose dive when your dog refuses obstacles etc.

BM, I am sorry, there is no way I mean to criticise you or bundy.

If the truth be know, I was a little horrified that anyone teaching agility would allow something like this. But that is no reflection on you. You & bundy were great.

I really just learn to keep my mouth shut, it was just hard not to say something

Edited by Vickie

If the truth be know, I was a little horrified that anyone teaching agility would allow something like this. But that is no reflection on you. You & bundy were great.

I really just learn to keep my mouth shut

Wasn't you Vicke, PF just sounded harsh even though I know that wasn't her intention.

I do understand where everyone is coming from re the things that did go wrong, I'd find it hard to keep my mouth shut too, and really I wouldn't expect anyone to, I'm just touchy cos I was happy with how we went :kissbetter:

Rest assured, that was a one off so I could work out if we'd like it before having to go and join other clubs to make sure we learn to do agility properly.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Wasn't you Vicke, PM just sounded harsh even though I know that wasn't her intention.

If you mean me, I didn't mean to. I said you should be proud of your dog and I meant it.

I'm a bit gobsmacked at what you were expected to do and my heart went into my mouth when the weavers fell. I can think of dogs that would have set back months.

Bundy is gorgeous :champagne: There are a few Vizslas at my club.

You will have a lot of fun with agility :heart:

I have seen some people with long leads/lines at my club in beginners running sequences and I am terrified of something happening :kissbetter: Not sure why it is done, I think because some have a poor recall and one dog is dog aggro, I really hope they are not promoted til they sort it out.

Wasn't you Vicke, PM just sounded harsh even though I know that wasn't her intention.

If you mean me, I didn't mean to. I said you should be proud of your dog and I meant it.

I'm a bit gobsmacked at what you were expected to do and my heart went into my mouth when the weavers fell. I can think of dogs that would have set back months.

Yes I did sorry! I should know who you are by now!

The weavers fell because I smacked into them :kissbetter: Not because the dog did... I was being a klutz. But yes, that is being rectified for future workshops, there was an issue with that set.

Bundy was gung ho and ready to try everything from the start.. if I had to 'force' him to do anything at all, we would've left that bit out, because the last thing I want is a scared or unhappy dog.

I'm looking forward to learning properly when we are ready, it's going to be heaps of fun.

He did well regardless, and looks to have potential. Bundy seems to take the few set backs well enough and keep going with enthusiasm, I've noticed some Viszlas are extremely soft in temperament and weavers falling on them would have been the end.....

Definately get a snub lead if you are worried about him, I train with no collars on either but have used a snub lead in the past and they are very useful :cry:

Edited by tollersowned

I admit I had a mini heart attack watching the video too, mainly with the falling weavers and the full height seesaw, but that's not your fault - you are just learning!!

I worry about dogs being taken on full height seesaws and dogwalks too soon, of course it depends on the dog and the handler but I think I prefer to build things up at the dog's pace, one obstacle at a time, until they are right, then join them together in sequences.

I just started doing proper instructed classes with Trixie (to get her used to the full on environment more than anything) and I notice this is not really the done thing in that class either, there were dogs that had never really seen a lot of the equipment and they were expected to do sequences of about 10 obstacles, mostly with luring, I was surprised :cry: I have a bad memory and hadn't remembered it being like that with Kyz but I guess it was. I think that is the difference between your first agility dog and your second one though, I remember what it was like with the first dog, you just CAN'T WAIT to have your dog 'doing agility' :eek: with the second you're a bit more patient :( and third and fourth and fifth I guess :rofl: I think your post has opened up some interesting discussions though.

Bundy seems not too bothered, I just worry about what may have happened if the weavers had fallen on a smaller less resilient dog.

That's my 2c worth anyway :( I have to say Bundy is a seriously beautiful boy, and I really can't wait to see how he goes with your agility training in the future! He is just lovely, I hope you keep us updated!!

He did well regardless, and looks to have potential. Bundy seems to take the few set backs well enough and keep going with enthusiasm, I've noticed some Viszlas are extremely soft in temperament and weavers falling on them would have been the end.....

Definately get a snub lead if you are worried about him, I train with no collars on either but have used a snub lead in the past and they are very useful :cry:

I originally thought he'd be too soft as well because he's incredibly soft at home, but he proved me wrong, I was very surprised by his determination which is why I was so happy with him. I do want to train without a lead on, but just have to get him more reliable. Going down to look at some clubs next week I think.

Contemplating buying a set of weaves once we've had a few lessons :eek: