Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one here who is extremely unhappy about the seesaw!

I am still dumbfounded as to how it actually got through since all but a couple of people I have spoken to are dead against it.

I guess we'll have to wait & see how it goes since there's absolutley nothing any of us can do about it now. No idea how or when I'm going to go about retraining it yet :(

I suspect it's going to be a big problem for Trim especially since she moves low & fast to the end.

Edited by Vickie

I am not particulary happy with the lowering of the seesaw either but what can we do albeit wait another 5 years for another rule change....i tend to think we are going backwards in some aspects of agility which is a real shame given the rest of the world is going forward with the sport. The one thing i am happy about is the tyre becomming a break away tyre AMEN!

I guess for us we will not only need to retrain the lower seesaw but also give it a differnt name to that of the higher one (the joys of doing both ANKC & ADAA). And yes the dogs now have weave width differences (600vs550), AF height differences + cleats (yay), DW diiferences (no cleats vs Cleats (yay)) and now SS diffences 1/2 vs full height. Nothing like making it harder on the dogs :).

Edited by Tailwag

I would have thought that the diffrences between equipment and rules would be to give people choice.

I know that I don't like to go to NADAC as the courses seem more suited to smaller dogs. Also they have a different way to run comps and diffrent opinions on other things. (wont get into it I just don't agree) even though I could get passes and titles in NADAC I choose not to run it and to run ANKC even though I don't get passes atm.

There is choice OS too I thought. There is 2 different ways to do flyball with 2 fairly different sets of rules. It is all about choice, and what works for you and your dog.

we choose to do ADAA for the courses, the atmosphere, and great for young and up and coming dogs. Yes this is OUR choice to do this, yes we have trained our dogs accordingly to adjust to the differences, i was purely pointing out that there are alot of differences Re: equipment the that dogs have to adjust to. Do i agree with a 1/2 sized SS no i dont i actually think it is going to make it harder on the faster dogs, the SS is one of the hardest obstacles to not only control but to get right. Just my opinion.

Wasn't having a dig at you TW. Sorry if you took it that way.

no offence taken :)

just wanted to state that even tho we do have choices (i am thankful we do) that is it making in increasingly harder on the dogs to be able to adjust themselves. I LOVE both ANKC & ADAA and it is why we do what we can to make the transition between the two codes easier on our guys, unfortunately my young dog at present is finding it hard to adjust to the height of the AF in ADAA vs that of ANKC, we are doing alot of NFC in ADAA at present to overcome this and she is getting there but sometimes forgets the steepness of it.

That said i there are parts of the rules i am all for in the new rule change just the SS change is at the bottom of that :). I am going to be very interested to see how the dogs that are competing now deal with the height change in it.

Edited by Tailwag

I am still dumbfounded as to how it actually got through since all but a couple of people I have spoken to are dead against it.

An excellent question !

When each state's proposals were posted publicly, it was only proposed by one state from memory - so I mistakenly thought there wouldn't have been much chance of it going through and didn't give it any further thought. Just shows you shouldn't assume I guess.

It's certainly at the bottom of my 'favourites' list that's for sure.

I suspect it's going to be a big problem for Trim especially since she moves low & fast to the end.

I can relate Vickie...moving low and fast to the end will cause a problem with jarring...I think ;)

The solution is a slower seesaw..I can't quite get my head around slowing down a fast dog when it can execute a seesaw safely at the current height. It just seems such a backward move considering the rest of the World has not done this. Maybe the rule changers should provide more proof of safety issues before doing these changes.

I am not a fan of the Wee-Saw... the rest of the world must be laughing at us and shaking their heads! We are already behind the rest of the world when it comes to agility, and instead of trying to catch up we are now going backwards

It's supposed to make it easier for little dogs. Ie they can get all the way to the top before the things start to shift. Though I would have thought that had to do with the balance of the see saw. But you don't want them tilting themselves if it's a bit windy that day either.

Old rules:

The length of the plank should be a minimum of 3660 mm to a maximum of 4250 mm. The width is to be a minimum of 300 mm to a maximum of 330 mm. The height of the central bracket being approximately 1/6th of the length of the plank, from the ground.

Example: L = 3650 mm H= 600 mm

L= 4250 mm H= 700 mm.

New rules:

The length of the plank should be 3500 mm. The width is to be a minimum of 300 mm to a maximum off 330 mm, The height of the near central bracket is to be 300 mm from the ground.

The seesaw should have a droppage rate of minimum of 1.5 seconds to a maximum of 2.2 seconds. This is determined by placing a 1kg weight at 150 mm from the up end of the seesaw and recording the time to hit the ground.

SLightly newbie question here but are some of these changes seem to be about "saftey" that could actully be overcome with training.

As someone who's only been in agility for 4 years I would say yes. My dogs don't have superfast seesaw performances as I don't have access to gear at home to train it, but they are quick enough and always safe.

I too wonder how the "weesaw" got through when everyone I've spoken to was against it.

I am glad to see the breakaway tyre get the official go ahead, given it had some resistance here in Vic meaning it wasn't able to be used. :eek: Happy to see weaves poles being required to have solid bases. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Took part in the ACWA trial yesterday. Dexter seemed very unenthusiastic, but managed to get a pass in Excellent Jumping (number 2). We still don't have a Novice Agility clear round yet!! And yesterday was his best run, but he opted not to jump on the table and scored a refusal :( For the agility course in the morning, there was a spread jump just after the dog walk, and all 600 dogs knocked it somehow. Dexter also had his first crack at Open Jumping, and we did a lot better than planned at the distance work, so it could be a regular addition to our repertoire.

Young Pippa scored her 2nd Novice Jumping clear round, but we still need to work on her weaves before we tackle agility. Good times!

Took part in the ACWA trial yesterday. Dexter seemed very unenthusiastic, but managed to get a pass in Excellent Jumping (number 2). We still don't have a Novice Agility clear round yet!! And yesterday was his best run, but he opted not to jump on the table and scored a refusal :( For the agility course in the morning, there was a spread jump just after the dog walk, and all 600 dogs knocked it somehow. Dexter also had his first crack at Open Jumping, and we did a lot better than planned at the distance work, so it could be a regular addition to our repertoire.

Young Pippa scored her 2nd Novice Jumping clear round, but we still need to work on her weaves before we tackle agility. Good times!

I saw young Pippa's afternoon JD run, very nice and clear round! (speaking of the name Pippa, that is what my parent's are calling their new mini schnauzer pup, which I'll be bringing down to ACWA to do puppy classes with).

Millie the little bugger knocked that 3rd bar, costing us our JD title :( And knocked the bar on the spread on the run home in the AM agility trial, costing us her AD title!

Little sh*ts sometimes :rofl: But we had a ball :D

Ruby scored her first JDX pass in the PM with 3rd place! Woohoo thumbsup1.gif

I saw young Pippa's afternoon JD run, very nice and clear round! (speaking of the name Pippa, that is what my parent's are calling their new mini schnauzer pup, which I'll be bringing down to ACWA to do puppy classes with).

Millie the little bugger knocked that 3rd bar, costing us our JD title :( And knocked the bar on the spread on the run home in the AM agility trial, costing us her AD title!

Little sh*ts sometimes :rofl: But we had a ball :D

Ruby scored her first JDX pass in the PM with 3rd place! Woohoo thumbsup1.gif

Haha. I just figured out who you are :p I saw Millie's run too! I don't know what's more annoying, dropping a bar at the beginning, or dropping one at the end! Must be all the more annoying when there are titles at stake!

I guess it wasn't just the 600 dogs having problems with that cursed spread jump.

Well done to Ruby :D