Agility Training Talk Thread

Akira's a 500 dog, but only just. 1cm shorter and she'd be 400. Our instructor reckons it'll all depend on how the person who measures her reads the stick when she gets her height card. :laugh:

:eek: Is she a miniature husky? :laugh:

Ava is about 50cm so definitely a 500 dog. I think Elbie is a similar height.

My measuring has always put her in standard. A group 6 judge said to me the other day that she was sorry, but she was a little bit shorter. :laugh: She's only a little girl.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like that happened in the jumping ring, maybe the agility ring was a lot more stressful!

I think so. We had a few bolts/distractions and as mentioned, one dog wandered off and wee'd under a tree and another one pooped after the first jump.

To be fair, no one was outright rude. The people who threw their leashes had to do it because their dog was quite jittery and excited so I stood behind and let them toss the leash behind them.

In terms of shouting out for the leash, it was only where the dog bolted/was distracted - if someone's dog was running naked, it was hard to grab onto the dog and remove it from the ring fast enough. The judge wanted things moving very fast so it was often faster for me to bring the leash to the dog being withdrawn. What was occasionally hard was that the judge had told me: "As soon as one dog crosses the finishing jump, I want the next competitor already at the start line - don't let them faff around outside. They'll try to tell you they want to wait outside, but I judge quickly so make sure they're at the start line." The thing was occasionally there were competitors who (understandably) didn't want to enter the ring until the second dog was well out of the ring.

wuffles - I guess one week if the little fluffies aren't at practice we could put the jump heights up to 500.

Edited by koalathebear

WA you have met both of my two I think - Kenz just gets in under the 400 cut off with 3mm to spare - she is 452mm. My other dog sits just the other side of the 400 mm cut off and around 465mm.

I know his is a bit short notice, I would like to know can you go to a agility training night to watch, we have a assessment test next week & would like to go & watch that particular class :confused:

You probably need to contact the club (assuming this is a club that trains indoors on Wednesdays?) For most outdoor classes it wouldn't matter but I am not sure of the actual set up at that club and I know that space is very limited. Why not contact Michelle and ask?

We started on the see-saw for the first time tonight. Elbie hated it :p He was the only dog in the class who refused to go on it - all the other dogs were quite happily trotting along without hesitation. We tried practising at home with a plank balancing on top of a small pole on its side - my other dog Hoover who isn't doing agility yet because he just turned one ran up and down it happily, sat on it - didn't care about the noise and the motion. Elbie on the other hand remained very wary of it and wouldn't step on it. Did anyone else's dog start out not liking the see-saw but end up being ok at it? Any tips? He will walk halfway up the seesaw and drop but then he jumps right off of it :p

He is fine on all of the other apparatus.

We started on the see-saw for the first time tonight. Elbie hated it :p He was the only dog in the class who refused to go on it - all the other dogs were quite happily trotting along without hesitation. We tried practising at home with a plank balancing on top of a small pole on its side - my other dog Hoover who isn't doing agility yet because he just turned one ran up and down it happily, sat on it - didn't care about the noise and the motion. Elbie on the other hand remained very wary of it and wouldn't step on it. Did anyone else's dog start out not liking the see-saw but end up being ok at it? Any tips? He will walk halfway up the seesaw and drop but then he jumps right off of it :p

He is fine on all of the other apparatus.

from personal experience i would start with a wobble board...get them used to that kind of motion for a while! :)

hi Kelpiechick I have tried to contact Michelle from Action dogs, no answer, it is the foundation class we would like to watch :)

There isnt a foundation class training at the moment - we have all moved up to the next level. Training was tonight. There won't be anyone training next week because of the assessment. Good luck!

Yep KTB I would alsp start with a wobble board and bang game. You can make a wobble board by putting a ball or piece of wood or pvc pipe under a plank. Also a good idea if you know what behvaiour you want - I assume 2o2o on your contact?

wobble board

Here are some examples of the bang game

The bang game is probaly one of the most important games to play with your dog :) it helps build not only confidence with something moving underneath them but also helps desensitise them to the noise it make when it drops. With Links pups i screwed a piece of pvc pipe onto a board for them and they started running over that at 4 weeks with great delight. Wobble boards are also great to get a dog used to something moving underneath it.

Speaking of SSs we have our new weesaw being delivered this saturday so at least we will have both sizes now to train with. It will be interesting to see what the big guys do when it only drops a few feet lol, i suspect some of them will try and use it as a running contact lol.