Something That S*ts Me Repeatedly

MonElite

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My other choc girl is from 2 black parents, father is an imported dog, and Aust Ch titled. She was mated to another import dog with the intention of producing an all choc litter, as I wanted a female choc pup who would hopefully be a better version of mum. (which is looking to be the case). Just because a certain colour is intentionally bred doesn't automatically mean its only for money. As mum carries all 3 colours I had to have a choc to choc mating to maximise my chances of getting my choc girl.

Whether for the money or not, you chose to breed for colour as your highest priority. Instead of being able to choose from the best labrador available at stud, you restricted yourself to the best chocolate labrador, eliminating all of the yellow or black dogs that may have had better temperaments or may have been a better match for your girl. Yellow or black are not considered faults, so there is no reason not to consider using them if you are really breeding to improve the breed. You say you had to have a choc to choc mating to maximise your chances of getting your choc girl, but what were the chances of getting any other colour from that mating?

Well said.

Personally I don't agree with breeding for a specific colour.

Edited by Miss B

I have a sibe - sick of people telling me you can't do anything with them, they're untrainable apparently.

If I hear one more person who says "I wanted to do obedience/agility with my dog but my partner wanted a husky so we got one and now I can't" I will scream. I've seen sibes in obedience, agility, flyball and in the show ring - Zero's a qualified therapy dog so there's nothing you can't do with them if you can find what motivates them.

ETA: The working line sibes tend to be smaller and leggier too - show line sibes tend to look stockier to me.

Oh, and that sibes are related to wolves. Apparently they'll "turn on you without warning" :dropjaw:

I got that for the first time yesterday. I was talking to someone about how Akira is about to start obedience training and they replied, "Why would you bother, Huskies are untrainable." Oh yes, because my PUP recalls about 60% of the time now, and your two-year-old Beagle can't even sit when you tell him to.

Those are show titles :rofl:

Titles at the front indicate show titles, and at the back indicate performance titles.

Those are show titles :love:

Titles at the front indicate show titles, and at the back indicate performance titles.

With the exception of champions (e.g obedience, field, retrieving etc) who are so good they get to put their working title at the front. Then it will say O.Ch, T. Ch, FT.Ch etc

Ah..ok. Thnak you.

For a "show" dog she'a a bloody good worker. :dropjaw:

Those are show titles :love:

With the exception of champions (e.g obedience, field, retrieving etc) who are so good they get to put their working title at the front. Then it will say O.Ch, T. Ch, FT.Ch etc

Shows I don't know much about all the titles and intricacies of it :rofl::dropjaw:

It's a relatively rare thing and has undergone several changes in recent years, it wasn't always done that way here.

My other choc girl is from 2 black parents, father is an imported dog, and Aust Ch titled. She was mated to another import dog with the intention of producing an all choc litter, as I wanted a female choc pup who would hopefully be a better version of mum. (which is looking to be the case). Just because a certain colour is intentionally bred doesn't automatically mean its only for money. As mum carries all 3 colours I had to have a choc to choc mating to maximise my chances of getting my choc girl.

Whether for the money or not, you chose to breed for colour as your highest priority. Instead of being able to choose from the best labrador available at stud, you restricted yourself to the best chocolate labrador, eliminating all of the yellow or black dogs that may have had better temperaments or may have been a better match for your girl. Yellow or black are not considered faults, so there is no reason not to consider using them if you are really breeding to improve the breed. You say you had to have a choc to choc mating to maximise your chances of getting your choc girl, but what were the chances of getting any other colour from that mating?

Well said.

On a interesting note, the breeder I got Riddick from is slowly eliminating Yellow Labs from her lines all together. I don't know all her reasons behind it, but one of them is she wants to improve the colour of the chocolate labs. Hers are this really rich deep chocolate colour, quite stunning actually, where as I've noticed a lot of the chocolate labs you see around tend to be more of a flat brown.

She isn't doing it for profit as her dogs mainly go to guide dogs anyway.

Well said.

On a interesting note, the breeder I got Riddick from is slowly eliminating Yellow Labs from her lines all together. I don't know all her reasons behind it, but one of them is she wants to improve the colour of the chocolate labs. Hers are this really rich deep chocolate colour, quite stunning actually, where as I've noticed a lot of the chocolate labs you see around tend to be more of a flat brown.

She isn't doing it for profit as her dogs mainly go to guide dogs anyway.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by je2910

Oh yes, happens in all breeds. The one that gets me is the term 'bench kelpie'. Say what now?

As a kelpie owner I see no difference to a dog being called a bench kelpie or a show kelpie... the term bench kelpie came at a time when show dogs were all benched like they are at the Royal Shows. And my kelpie likes being on a bench particularly if I am sitting next to him and he can crawl into my lap :dropjaw:

I think either term is pretty daft.

Zero.

The 2 dogs I narrowed my choice 2 were from the same kennel. Both dogs were recent imports and impressive specimens with new bloodlines, how shocking that they both happened to be chocolate. The owner of the dogs actually recommended that I use the boy who also did not carry the yellow gene, therefore creating a full choc litter (both dogs must carry yellow to produce yellow). With labs it is less desirable to have a yellow lab from choc parents, because if doubled up with another dog carrying choc there is the potential for choc point yellows (dudleys). Fine as pets, not desirable for breeding /showing. I have no problem with the other colours, I have a yellow girl, bred from yellow and black dogs, ie: she does not carry chocolate. I also have a black boy, he does not carry yellow.

Apart from all of this, I had had several conversations with the stud owner who knew of my girls lines and felt they would be very complimentary together. My girls full litter sister had also had a litter to this dog, so there was plenty of research and info to draw on.

So with labs, colour can be a consideration, as you are looking further into the future than just the immediate pup you want to breed.

What about breeders who only breed yellow dogs? You would be hard pressed to find a well known breeder of yellows who would mate their bitch to a choc male. No one tells them that they are limiting the potential of their stock for not breeding to a choc male.

I understand colour genetics in labs, but you haven't justified breeding for colour.

The breeders of the yellow bitches that would avoid using a choc dog are trying to avoid breeding a colour fault. They don't always avoid using a black dog over their yellow bitch. That fits in with trying to improve the breed.

The breeders of chocolate bitches that will only consider chocolate males are not trying to avoid a fault. Instead they are increasing the number of dogs that carry the gene that gives the undesirable dudley nose.

Aussie Sheps are one that I love - breed standard says "moderate" yet a lot of what gets put up is "heavy"!

I love a moderate Aussie.

ETA: I must say here in SA we have alot of moderate bitches and dogs that share the BOBs and challenges and classes in group. We had a moderate dog go BIS at the recent working dog club show.

Edited by Lyndsay

Instead they are increasing the number of dogs that carry the gene that gives the undesirable dudley nose.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't quite understand what a "dudley nose" is. I did google it, but ended up more confused than ever! Is it pink and other colour nose? Or just a nose of light and dark colour? I have heard the term in relation to SBT, and have always wondered what it was. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jadesamara

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't quite understand what a "dudley nose" is. I did google it, but ended up more confused than ever! Is it pink and other colour nose? Or just a nose of light and dark colour? I have heard the term in relation to SBT, and have always wondered what it was. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you are correct.

Yellow labs should have black noses and eye rims. Dudleys are pink.

Well I get totally confused My Girl is a Kelpie X Mum was a Border Collie Lab and my guess her father was a working kelpie some were in the vicinity. Lets say she is a solid tall kelpie with border collie ears and long hackle hairs. I have been told she is crossed with German Sheppard or Rottweiler mainly because she is black and tan and her solidness. When I say maybe she threw back to the Lab I then get she's a bit big for a Lab I have seen some big labs in my time I thought she was small side of a lab (I know that is where she gets her appetite). She also has that neurotic Kelpie drive. In the end It doesn't matter I :rofl: her!! And for all those out there with their untrainable breeds has anyone told the dogs that yet !!! :rofl: What they might not be good in some areas may excel in others!!!! :rofl:

Zero.

The 2 dogs I narrowed my choice 2 were from the same kennel. Both dogs were recent imports and impressive specimens with new bloodlines, how shocking that they both happened to be chocolate. The owner of the dogs actually recommended that I use the boy who also did not carry the yellow gene, therefore creating a full choc litter (both dogs must carry yellow to produce yellow). With labs it is less desirable to have a yellow lab from choc parents, because if doubled up with another dog carrying choc there is the potential for choc point yellows (dudleys). Fine as pets, not desirable for breeding /showing. I have no problem with the other colours, I have a yellow girl, bred from yellow and black dogs, ie: she does not carry chocolate. I also have a black boy, he does not carry yellow.

Apart from all of this, I had had several conversations with the stud owner who knew of my girls lines and felt they would be very complimentary together. My girls full litter sister had also had a litter to this dog, so there was plenty of research and info to draw on.

So with labs, colour can be a consideration, as you are looking further into the future than just the immediate pup you want to breed.

What about breeders who only breed yellow dogs? You would be hard pressed to find a well known breeder of yellows who would mate their bitch to a choc male. No one tells them that they are limiting the potential of their stock for not breeding to a choc male.

I understand colour genetics in labs, but you haven't justified breeding for colour.

The breeders of the yellow bitches that would avoid using a choc dog are trying to avoid breeding a colour fault. They don't always avoid using a black dog over their yellow bitch. That fits in with trying to improve the breed.

The breeders of chocolate bitches that will only consider chocolate males are not trying to avoid a fault. Instead they are increasing the number of dogs that carry the gene that gives the undesirable dudley nose.

I'm sorry did you miss the bit where I explained about the quality and new bloodlines in the male. Thats right, you're just picking out the bits you want to see.

Looks to me like you are trying to make the argument that chocolate labs shouldn't be bred. Last time I checked breeding 2 chocolates didn't produce a litter of dudley noses. As I explained, a chocolate litter was bred to avoid this in my case.

Last time around the same girl was bred to a black dog. Or is this also a no-no as this would potentially mean half of the litter was chocolate? Or would only the black pups be of any breed worth in your eyes?

Damn those chocolate labradors ruining the pure, yellow ones. :rofl:

What the? :rofl: I did not see Greymate say or imply that at all?

My breed eh...

Sorry Mon :rofl: I often get told mine are Mini Dobermanns

Or by the less observant, Chihuahua's... :rofl:

And also, people tell me I obviously don't feed them enough because apparently obesity in dogs is the way to go :rofl:

My pet peeve is the threadbare line I hear when I'm walking my wolfhounds (loose lead) and some Einstein will ask "Who's walking who?" generally followed by the incredibly witty remark, "Bloody hell, you could ride them." I swear one day I'll snot the next jerk that says it.

My usual answer for the next question these dickwads ask ie "What does it eat?' is "an idiot a day but don't panic - he's already eaten."

Actually my real current pet peevs are

People recomending the same breeds in the 'what breed should i get' threads- even when they are unsuitable

5 minute experts in breeds/breeding (I know Im no expert!!)

People telling me I have too many dogs (more of the I know better than you do types.........)

Actually my real current pet peevs are

People recomending the same breeds in the 'what breed should i get' threads- even when they are unsuitable

5 minute experts in breeds/breeding (I know Im no expert!!)

People telling me I have too many dogs (more of the I know better than you do types.........)

Agreed.

I think those threads are a bit of a cop out.

I mean, honestly, do your own research, THEN come on the forum and ask us which one out the the 5 or so you have narrowed it down to after you've explained your circumstances.